• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Y Position Alarm

Angela

PLEASE HELP!!! I have a Graphtec FC7000, I am getting a Y Position Alarm? Customer to pick up in 2 hours, please help, any advice appericiated.

Case

Does the error automatically come on when you turn the plotter off and back on??? Otherwise, if it is happening while you are trying to cut, many times the roll of media is too heavy and you need to prefeed some media out and then cut... Either manually by hand roll some media out before cutting or either use the pre feed option or auto pre feed option on the plotter itself.....

If the y current error is just there and won't go away, you may need service...

Case

RJ California

Intersting. Our 4 year old FC 7000 started doing this more often lately. Happens a couple times a week now. It does seem to help to spool out some yardage before the plot.
Interested to see any other solutions or diagnosis.

Angela

Thank you for your response. I was able to get it cut. I played with the rollers, I moved them back and forth a few times and into different positions. Now I don't want to jinx it but I am hoping that it has reset itself. Thank you again :)

CS-SignSupply

Keep an eye on it. Can be a motor going out, or the encoder in the motor. If it happens all of the time, mainboard could be an issue.

round man

On 99 out of 100 brands of plotters there is a y axis tab on the pinch rollers that interacts with an electric eye on the blade assembly that rides back and forth on the transom(extrusion and or rods the blade assembly rides upon). this is to tell the machine the "Y" limits of the vinyl you have inserted into and under the pinch wheels,so to keep the knife cutting on the vinyl only,(this is why the machine never cuts past or beyond the pinch wheel locations)..if you have an alarm going off on that axis the first thing to check is the pinch wheel location,...secondly check to see if any debris is interfering with the sensor or electric eye on the blades assembly(it may simply need cleaning with some q-tips and alcohol,check your manual or the support site to be sure about this). next it might possibly be a bad sensor or electric eye which will need to be replaced by a trained pro. the list gets worse from here,....

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Is this a FC7000 or a FC7000MK2? The FC7000 series had an issue with the Y-Pulley that connects the motor to the while belt that drives the carriage. If this is the case you can open the right hand side cover of the unit and locate the motor in the top front corner of the cutter. If you hold the motor so that it can't move you shouldn't be able to move the carriage either. If the carriage moves then you need to have the pulley and the Pen Board replaced.

Shift Designs

On 99 out of 100 brands of plotters there is a y axis tab on the pinch rollers that interacts with an electric eye on the blade assembly that rides back and forth on the transom(extrusion and or rods the blade assembly rides upon). this is to tell the machine the "Y" limits of the vinyl you have inserted into and under the pinch wheels,so to keep the knife cutting on the vinyl only,(this is why the machine never cuts past or beyond the pinch wheel locations)..if you have an alarm going off on that axis the first thing to check is the pinch wheel location,...secondly check to see if any debris is interfering with the sensor or electric eye on the blades assembly(it may simply need cleaning with some q-tips and alcohol,check your manual or the support site to be sure about this). next it might possibly be a bad sensor or electric eye which will need to be replaced by a trained pro. the list gets worse from here,....

thanks for the tip?

addnewcolor

Vinyl Express Q100 Y Position Error

We are having a similar issue with our plotter. Won't cut, just jerks back and forth and says Y Position Error. We have cleaned everything, changed the media and moved around the wheels. Any ideas? We are desperate.....:omg2:

rcook99

I just had a friend that had a similar error. He had to send it out and have a new board put in it. When he would turn it on it would go to the left side and then start moving to the left in a start stop motion as if it was looking for the media but nothing would work. It too was a vinyl express but a 54" plotter about a year old.

KenInNC

Maybe this helps

I just got a fc7000 in from UPS and it was beat so bad every plastic external part was broken and the roller rod was bent. After removing the broken parts and doing a light screw, cable and obstruction check I powered it up to get the same YPOSITION error. I tried to blow the sensor that goes over the pinch roller to no avail. I ended up taking the top metal cover off and found the cutter head ribbon was disconnected from the rough handling. I reconnected it and now it works. Hope this helps anyone.