• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yearly font purchases...How Much?

SignosaurusRex

As much as it takes to keep my addiction fed. Feeding any addiction is expensive. I don't want to think of how much I've spent in any one years time.

Patentagosse

I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on getting banned from Letterheadfonts's site to save my budget... LOL

Font addiction is a good one. New fonts boost my creativity way more than taking a Redbull...

ChicagoGraphics

All those fonts you buy, you can find online for free, you just have to know site where to find them.

That's all I'm saying....

Jillbeans

All those fonts you buy, you can find online for free, you just have to know site where to find them.
Along with a bunch of viruses and stuff.
I would rather try and support people like Steve C from Signfonts or Chuck from LHF, or Dave from Sign DNA or Michael Gene from the Fontry etc etc.
Love....Jill

royster13

I would rather try and support people like Steve C from Signfonts or Chuck from LHF, or Dave from Sign DNA or Michael Gene from the Fontry etc etc.
Love....Jill

I have a spare computer for downloading all the bootleg stuff....Fonts, software, music, movies, etc......lol:Canada 2:

SignosaurusRex

Love....Jill

:goodpost:
These folks work way too hard to only make the few bucks they do on producing fonts. It's hard to fathom that some of these guys have literally $15,000.00 - $30,000.00 in man hours just putting together a single font before it hits the market and can only hope that they recoup most of it in sales of that single font. I know they only do what they do because they can and they love what they do.

SignosaurusRex

I have a love hate relationship with the myfonts newsletter, i can always seem to justify the purchase...:smile:

The purchase of good quality fonts is an investment with a very respectable return if you are going to use them, regardless of the initial investment stake.
Beyond that, wait for the day that you will have to rely on a 'Pay-Per-Use' basis.
That day is creeping up on us very quickly and currently in place with at least one type foundry.

He who dies with the most fonts WINS!

Last edited:

TheSnowman

All I've ever purchased are the A&S fonts. I sub most of my design work out, so don't really need a ton of them. I was never really taught how to organize and use them efficiently, so the more I get over time downloading random freebees, the more stressed out I get with it.

Haakon

Sure.. same thing goes for software, operating systems, movies and music.. If you are into downloading pirated/stolen content.

My font budget varies in accordance to what I need. Just found out that I needed the Xtreme Script font from signfonts.com, so I purchased that one just a few days ago. Need it for a wrap design where the customer had a banner designed and make with this font, and he wanted a wrap for a trailer in the same style. Will probably spring for the 33 font package sometime this year.

visual800

These folks work way too hard to only make the few bucks they do on producing fonts. It's hard to fathom that some of these guys have literally $15,000.00 - $30,000.00 in man hours just putting together a single font .

Are you kidding me? Is this cost correct and if so WHY and HOW!?

WildWestDesigns

Are you kidding me? Is this cost correct and if so WHY and HOW!?

Bruce, I can tell you that when I convert TTFs or OTFs to embroidery fonts for Wilcom users, the $25.00 that I charge for the font is really nothing compared to the time it takes to map the font, use the best input for maximum edibility for the end user etc.

There is a lot that goes into it and I only mess with the embroidery fonts that are only going to work within one specific program brand.

weaselboogie

These folks work way too hard to only make the few bucks they do on producing fonts. It's hard to fathom that some of these guys have literally $15,000.00 - $30,000.00 in man hours just putting together a single font before it hits the market and can only hope that they recoup most of it in sales of that single font. I know they only do what they do because they can and they love what they do.

I can totally agree with this. I'm friends with a couple of font gods and can attest to the ridiculous amount of time to 'perfect' it. Handpainting the same letter a thousand times just to get the right flair, scanning, converting each letter and then adjusting the character kerning ( how the character fits to its neighbor letters ) only to realize it doesn't work and start all over. Charles Borges has been working on a font called desire for around 3 years.

To really appreciate the quality of a good font, try making one yourself. I've done 3 in my time and cranked them out in about a 1 or 2 weeks each. Know what? They're CRAP. Trying to use it in a layout and the letters just don't fit well together even after many adjustments and kerning. The letters look great on paper by themselves, but when you try to use them in a practical application, they failed miserably.

I usually spend around $300 a year on fonts. The best way to justify a font(s) purchase is to work them into jobs where you think that font would work and just add the font cost to the job.

the graphics co

To really appreciate the quality of a good font, try making one yourself. I've done 3 in my time and cranked them out in about a 1 or 2 weeks each. Know what? They're CRAP. Trying to use it in a layout and the letters just don't fit well together even after many adjustments and kerning. The letters look great on paper by themselves, but when you try to use them in a practical application, they failed miserably.

I totally agree. I had to do a handful of fonts in school and more than anything it gives you a strong appreciation for the work that goes into making them. Which, in turn, makes you feel guilty at the thought of downloading pirated fonts.

Generally, I try not to buy a new font unless I have a job I can use them in and recoup the cost right away. But every once in a while I buy the font first and find the job second.

the graphics co

True, you can probably find an individual weight of a font or a clone for free, but, a lot of times you need the extra bold or bold italic or thin or extended and so on to go along with it. Plus, someone spent a lot of time designing those fonts, they should be paid for their service.

Especially because you will be making money off of their work.