• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yellow blocks in print

Signed Out

Roland xj540 printing yellow blocks and vertical lines. Seems to be in the same horizontal area of the prints, but different patterns of blocks and lines. Just randomly appears. Printed the same file a few times and got the blocks in different spots vertically, but pretty much the same location horizontally, as it came off the printer. We had a similar problem a couple years ago, and were told it may be the data cable. So we checked to make sure it was plugged in tight, wiggled it a bit and then the problem hasn't occurred since, until now. Wiggling the data cable (ribbon type cable) doesn't do anything now. Problem is happening with multiple files.

Couple other symptoms, may or may not be related to the yellow blocks?

Black head has been missing quite a few nozzles for the past year. In the same group as yellow print head.

Sometimes we will get a 2-3 black dashes in the yellow group on a test print.

Anybody have any ideas?

blocks.jpg test print.jpg

J Hill Designs

if its at the same point (essentially) then I would start by trying to see if you have a small short in your cable that runs between slider board and main board - as they get moved by head travel, it might hit a point where it gets a kink and shorts for a split second

Signed Out

That is something that I thought of as well, but how can I tell if there is a short? I looked for any noticeable kinks but didn't see any.

J Hill Designs

maybe bring your head out to where the defects occur, and examine the yellow cable at the position where it 'bends back' on the track - most likely a hardly-noticeable break in the cable

DesireeM

We've had to get our printer fixed twice for this same problem. Both times it was the ribbon or cable (I can't remember what the part is called). It's accessed from the back of the machine on the same side as the control panel. Here's a pic.

According to the tech it's because the white ribbons need to be "folded" and nested in a specific way. If they are placed incorrectly then the motion of going back and forth eventually damages them. Our tech actually admitted that when he did it the first time he was still new and wasn't 100% sure he did it correctly....we got a discount.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 97

Signed Out

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure that is what's going on with ours too, at least I hope. Tech coming out today or tomorrow to replace the ribbon cable for the yellow head.

wilmingtonsigns

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure that is what's going on with ours too, at least I hope. Tech coming out today or tomorrow to replace the ribbon cable for the yellow head.

Has the problem been resolved? We have a similar problem that started w/a single 1/16" yellow streak and escalated to printed yellow blocks. Please look at the string http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?117092-Roland-sp540v-yellow-lines-random

Thanks.