• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

yellow ink making a mess

gabagoo

I am posting a pic of my capping station and you can see this build up of yellow ink about 2 inches away on the stainless steel. I have no idea how this is happening yet my prints seem ok. What I have found on some days is that the heads seems to be clogging up and I need to run nozzle washes sometimes 2 and 3 times a week simply to get the yellow head clean.

any ideas of why this is happening?

Attachments

• yellow ink.JPG
    yellow ink.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 128

Terremoto

Looks like to me that your head isn't making a good seal with the capping station - probably why you need to run a regular nozzle wash. The head's drying out.

Dan

gabagoo

How does one correct this. I clean the capping station every night before leaving...what more can i do?

Masseria

Maybe need to Adjust level of Capping station, until its height is enough to seal the Printhead like the post before.
Done this on Jv33. Which printer you have?

artbot

i'd double check to make sure there's no yellow overspray. when the head goes over to the capping station, it spits a mist into the cap. constant build up over a day at this one position can show early overspray that really is undetectable on the print.

AnimalG82

I would check your dampers on the yellow, then adjust the capping station. If those don't help, I would replace the capping station. Its quick/easy and fairly cheap.

gabagoo

I called my technical guy at 4:45 and he is here now at 5:30...Thats service!!!! he is looking over the printer and cant find anything so we are going to clean the head overnight. if the problem persists I may need to change the head.

Terremoto

he is looking over the printer and cant find anything so we are going to clean the head overnight. if the problem persists I may need to change the head.

Sounds like your tech guy is more interested in selling you a new head than making sure it's NOT the capping station.

I would suspect the capping station more than anything.

Dan

artbot

before switching the head, do a damper swap, a data swap, ...you can even do cap top swaps and pump tube swaps on some models. heads can be proven or dis-proven to be the cause of an issue. there's not "guess it's the head" in printer repair.

gabagoo

Sounds like your tech guy is more interested in selling you a new head than making sure it's NOT the capping station.

I would suspect the capping station more than anything.

Dan
capping station was changed about a year ago i did have a head crash last week as well

dampers are full and not the issue

my printer is 6 years old so i dont think it is unreasonable to think i may need a new head.

not sure if this would do anything but the tech said my yellow screen was upside down

artbot

a data swap would show if the head is bad or not. if this tech does change the head, HANG ON TO IT!... there's an 80% chance that it is fine. i'd be suspicious of any tech that doesn't actually diagnose the printer. we'd never settle for that with a car. "well sir, let me start switching parts out and see if something good happens"... we've come to assume that a part can be isolated as the cause or not the cause. printers are the same.

gabagoo

a data swap would show if the head is bad or not. if this tech does change the head, HANG ON TO IT!... there's an 80% chance that it is fine. i'd be suspicious of any tech that doesn't actually diagnose the printer. we'd never settle for that with a car. "well sir, let me start switching parts out and see if something good happens"... we've come to assume that a part can be isolated as the cause or not the cause. printers are the same.

I undestand what your saying, however i don't hover over the guy while he is doing what he does. Much in the same way I pray my customers dont so the same to me when working on site.
I have to assume he will do the proper checks before going to any extremes.
This tech I have is very nice and honest. I dont think he even plans on charging me for the visit yesterday.

I started up the printer today after having the heads sit overnight in cleaning fluid. Seems like the top row of rectangles on the yellow are still not fully printing. I just know that head crash was bad last week.

gabagoo

UPDATE to the yellow issue.....

It seems to be the type of issue i can live with although don't think it is the head that is the issue.

I cleaned out the area of yellow mess and have not seen it come back over the last week and a half. I now am in the habit of running a test print every morning and during the day a couple of times and some days everything is fine and then yesterday for example I ran into problems.

I ran a test yesterday morning and the yellow head was 100% perfect. I ran a couple of small jobs and then realized on one that some of the colours looked streaky, so ran a test again and this time almost every yellow nozzle in the top 3rd was not firing.

i ran a nozzle wash for 50 minutes and ran a test again and this time it seemed just as many nozzles did not fire and maybe even more were not firing.

I then ran a 90 minute wash with a small piece of kim wipe between the head and the capping station.

Ran a test and a few more were firing but not good enough for print.

I shut the printer down and left for the day.

I came in this morning and fired it up and ran a test thinking I might be spending a good portion of the day getting this resolved and low and behold the yellow is back to 100%.

Can this be a head issue? damper? I have had the pump changed about 3 months ago and the capping station was changed about a year ago.

like I said in the past I am very maintenance driven with this machine so there is no abuse. I dont want to throw money away with hit and miss mechanics...

signage

Sound to me to be a capping station issue. When you left with the kim wipe it causes the sealing ring on capping station to seal better!

TheSnowman

I had issues with my Magenta doing that on my JV3 earlier this year. I ended up putting a couple of dampers in it and it fixed it for the most part. I think the other part was my inks were lying to me and I'd get air in the line. I ended up selling it and just saying it was time to get a new one after 6 years of service.

gabagoo

I had issues with my Magenta doing that on my JV3 earlier this year. I ended up putting a couple of dampers in it and it fixed it for the most part. I think the other part was my inks were lying to me and I'd get air in the line. I ended up selling it and just saying it was time to get a new one after 6 years of service.

I am reaching the 6 year mark, but I really dont want to go through a new learning curve with new equipment again

TheSnowman

There is ZERO learning curve if you get a Mimaki JV33. It's almost exactly the same, just prints faster, better, and it's new instead of coming in every day wondering if you'll be able to print or not.

Every time I'd call Advantage to trouble shoot something, they'd say "woh, those normally only last three years" and I was at 6 years. Everyone I talked to seemed to say 7 years was the longest they'd seen the heads last, so I figured by the time I replaced the heads, and rebuilt what was breaking on the current one, plus the tax advantage on the new one, I basically got into it for under 5K.