• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yellow printing magenta

Jackflush

Gorgor
Ive been trying to navigate to my specific problem, and have read lots of post but cannot find the solution

Problem noticed: Print became very red.
Action: did manual cleaning and found ink pooled in yellow/magenta cap.
Action: flushed cap line with fluid until satisfied was draining properly.
Problem unaffected: test print still printing magenta in yellow block
Action: read posts and found out maybe siphoning had occurred.
Action: checked yellow cartridge level to find it on last sliver.
Action: Replace cartridge, Powerful cleaning and print 4 in by 36 inch 100% yellow
Problem unaffected: 100% yellow is very magenta
Action: scratch head... thinking the power clean would flush out all trace of magenta from supposed siphoning.

Does anyone know how to check if the pump is functioning properly?
Where do I find info on replacing caps procedure?
Any one have this problem with the inks mixing (contaminating)?

Calling on Obi wan... I have no money for a tech so I assume I will have to become one. Any help is appreciated

Jackflush

Gorgor
OK after doing some more researching on the forum I think I have it figured out. I have magenta ink going up the yellow line past the heads for who knows how far back toward the cartridge. I suppose the damper is no good. But I still dont understand what to do next. How do I get all that ink out of the yellow tube? Print it out?

Last edited:
First off what printer do you have?
Second you can never go wrong changing the caps and dampers.
My ---self-taught sign101 researching tech self--- guess is that it is a dampers...Ours started printing yellow at the end of a 15 foot red banner.........got dampers overnighted...anxiously waiting for them to arrive..

ddarlak

Go Bills!
it's not the dampers, the ink siphoned thru most likely via a swelled cap/sponge. happens all the time.

use a syringe to suck the ink back out of the line, once the line is yellow again, your good. take the damper off to do this. once the line is yellow again suck the ink out of the damper, put it back on, suck ink until the damper is half full, put it back together and start printing.

and replace your capping station asap

it's not the dampers, the ink siphoned thru most likely via a swelled cap/sponge. happens all the time.

use a syringe to suck the ink back out of the line, once the line is yellow again, your good. take the damper off to do this. once the line is yellow again suck the ink out of the damper, put it back on, suck ink until the damper is half full, put it back together and start printing.

Agreed I should have mentioned we replaced our captops recently and ran the artbot damper swap test so we are pretty sure its the dampers in our case.
Captops only last 6 months or at least thats how long they are recommended for

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Agreed I should have mentioned we replaced our captops recently and ran the artbot damper swap test so we are pretty sure its the dampers in our case.
Captops only last 6 months or at least thats how long they are recommended for

i have had captops last 1 year, i have had them last one week. when the situation is right and the sponge swells, your gonna get ink transfer. damper has nothing to do with ink transfer....

Jackflush

Gorgor
First off what printer do you have?

sp 540v
There is mag ink all the way as far as i can see up the yellow tube. I will have to learn the ink suck procedure thoroughly. Air in lines bad right?

Is there a video or blog with a step by step for syringing out the ink till they are restored and replacing the dampers?

Jackflush

Gorgor

I understand this is a step by step. lol Its just kind of terrifying first time. You mentioned large animal syringes in one of your other posts for the same problem. Do you have a brand and size?

Jackflush

Gorgor
I found this step by step on the forum.
Disconnect power, not turn off disconnect.

remove rhs front cover.
uncap heads using tool supplied.
move head carriage to left slightly
remove plastic head cover.
remove damper holding plate.
remove clear cover that covers head circuit boards.

~~procede with caution as to avoid spilling ink on head circuits~~

i ussually remove a damper by placing a large flat screwdriver between its base and the head manifold and then gently twisting the screwdriver until the damper becomes loose enough to lift out with fingers.

manifolds can be fragile so again take care.

i usually hold the damper (if it reaches) over the spit pad near the wipers (http://printingdigital.net/forums/s...replace-dampers-sp540v.html?highlight=damper#) just in case.

undo the brass nut and make sure the little rubber o ring stays on the pipe.

take off damper and then refit new one. ink will be drawn back towards the cartridge.

refit the damper taking care when fitting onto head manifold as again these are fragile.

re assemble parts in reverse order leave rhs cover off for now just trigger the sensor with something.

recap heads.

turn machine on and go menu-ink control-fill ink.

when you see the ink come back through the pipes and into the damper press all 4 of the arrow keys together. this will then stop the fill ink cycle and save you some ink.

The only qeustion is at what point do I suck out the contam ink?

Robert M

Drawing ink

If you have the right set up you can pull ink through the damper once the damper is off the head. I sell such a set up on my site www.solventinkjet.com
it is a syringe with a flexible tube (solvent resistant) and a fitting that will go into the o ring on the bottom of the damper ($6.00)
Or you pull from the cap top line but then both sides of the head release ink into the cap

Jackflush

Gorgor
Thank you Robert I bookmarked your site. I dont understand what you mean by " but then both sides of the head release ink into the cap" Im clearly not ready for that. Im just assuming that after i take the brass nut off I will just slip the needle from the syringe into the line and draw out the bad ink. then after the line is clear put in the yellow cartridge and pull some fresh thru. Then after reconnecting the tube start some power cleaningsa to get the ink back into the head.

What did you mean by that? thanks

Jackflush

Gorgor
Well its done. And works great thanks to all who helped my first time. Lol Only one thing i didnt do that great. The yellow ink as I drew it out look still contaminated because of the dirty tone of the ink. I ended up drawing out a whole cartridge but it sure is worth it to know that much more about this beast.

THANK YOU ALL SIGNS 101 FOLKS!!!!

deep six

How often do you have a problem and then find exactly the answer you are looking for.
Probably not often but this is exactly what my SP300 is doing.
So it seems I need a new capping station, Cap tops??. Question is, does this get replaced in a normal 6 month service??
My machine is about due for a service so wondering do I go and buy a capping station and try and fit it myself or just wait for the service guy to get here and fix it as part of the service??

Thanks in advance

Cheers

amw

Longtime Members
How often do you have a problem and then find exactly the answer you are looking for.
Probably not often but this is exactly what my SP300 is doing.
So it seems I need a new capping station, Cap tops??. Question is, does this get replaced in a normal 6 month service??
My machine is about due for a service so wondering do I go and buy a capping station and try and fit it myself or just wait for the service guy to get here and fix it as part of the service??

Thanks in advance

Cheers
We do ours when they are needed. (swelling)
Usualy for us 6-12 months.
Its very easy to do yourself, save some money for something else.

Marsha