• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

You know your town inspectors stink....

Pat Whatley

About 6:00 today I'm out beside my shop with the weed eater cutting the ivy and grass on the 100 sq. ft. of grass I have to maintain. I notice a car pull up and park sideways but I assumed they were going next door. A couple of minutes later I turn around and there's a guy standing 10' behind me taking pictures. Turn off the weedeater, ask him what's up, he tells me he's taking pictures for the report because I'm being cited for not cutting the grass. I look at him, look at the weedeater and said....and I'm quoting this "What the f*** does it look like I'm doing?" He just laughed and mumbled something, got in the car and left.

Now, I know dang well I'm going to get a notice from the city Monday about cutting the grass and I'll have to get another inspector out here who is going to find SOMETHING that I have to do because they can't just show up and say "Yep, got the grass cut, you're okay." I end up dealing with these guys at least once a year because the Mayor wants me closed so somebody can put another Car Title Pawn store or Check Cashing store or Used Tire Shop in this building.

So I've decided screw it. I'm waiting the 10 days for it to go before the city council. Typically they get presented a giant stack of weed citations from the inspectors and just approve $150 fines for all of them without glancing at them. I'm showing up to contest mine. I'm going to make them pull my folder, I'm going to make them look at the pictures, I'm going to ask them how asinine it is that I got cited for something I was 95% finished with and did finish two minutes after the guy left.

I'm going to end up in jail over 100 sq. ft. of grass.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That sounds crazy - typical, but still crazy.
Its a shame you didn't "accidentally" run the weed eater down the side of his car to have some proof that he showed up in the middle of you cutting the grass.

wayne k
guam usa

PromoGuyTy

About 6:00 today I'm out beside my shop with the weed eater cutting the ivy and grass on the 100 sq. ft. of grass I have to maintain. I notice a car pull up and park sideways but I assumed they were going next door. A couple of minutes later I turn around and there's a guy standing 10' behind me taking pictures. Turn off the weedeater, ask him what's up, he tells me he's taking pictures for the report because I'm being cited for not cutting the grass. I look at him, look at the weedeater and said....and I'm quoting this "What the f*** does it look like I'm doing?" He just laughed and mumbled something, got in the car and left.

Now, I know dang well I'm going to get a notice from the city Monday about cutting the grass and I'll have to get another inspector out here who is going to find SOMETHING that I have to do because they can't just show up and say "Yep, got the grass cut, you're okay." I end up dealing with these guys at least once a year because the Mayor wants me closed so somebody can put another Car Title Pawn store or Check Cashing store or Used Tire Shop in this building.

So I've decided screw it. I'm waiting the 10 days for it to go before the city council. Typically they get presented a giant stack of weed citations from the inspectors and just approve $150 fines for all of them without glancing at them. I'm showing up to contest mine. I'm going to make them pull my folder, I'm going to make them look at the pictures, I'm going to ask them how asinine it is that I got cited for something I was 95% finished with and did finish two minutes after the guy left.

I'm going to end up in jail over 100 sq. ft. of grass.

How come you let your grass get out of hand?

John Butto

"I'm going to end up in jail over 100 sq. ft. of grass."
I went to jail once for just a little grass, and that is what I would smoke if I was you before I went to City Hall.

showcase 66

Dont they give you a warning first? My brother has gotten 4 warnings this year already but for his house. The city he lives in has a weed and grass ordinance that prohibits the vegetation to grow more than 6" tall. He has a patch of grass in his front yard that is about 8x8' that he cut on a Friday morning before heading up here for the weekend. Monday night they got back to his house and he had another warning with a picture attached to the warning of a ruler in his grass and the grass was at 6 1/4". One of the neighbors up the street is a retired city inspector and complains about everything. Call the city on people who have not removed the trash can off the street before 6.

weaselboogie

I don't get it... He took a picture of you WHILE you were cutting your grass, trying to cite you for NOT cutting your grass?

Pat Whatley

How come you let your grass get out of hand?
That's just it....it wasn't out of hand. The grass was fine, the damn ivy however had grown into big blobs along the curb. It only takes it a week to do that if we get any rain and I haven't had time this week to deal with it or spray Roundup on the whole lot to kill everything.

By the way...for the record dropping f-bombs on inspectors does little toward getting any leniency out of them.

Pat Whatley

I don't get it... He took a picture of you WHILE you were cutting your grass, trying to cite you for NOT cutting your grass?
Exactly, it's friggin' ridiculous. Last summer somebody dumped an entire truckload of garbage next to my dumpster over the weekend. I show up to work at 8:30, cuss a lot, and start throwing bags in the dumpster. Inspector showed up while I was tossing bags in the dumpster and actually helped me get them cleaned up while talking about how I was always going to have this problem since I'm right up the road from an apartment complex. He still cited me. The problem is that after three citations the fines are automatic.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Wonder if they would fine you even more if you dumped a load of hot asphalt into your little patch of grass to take care of the problem..

wayne k
guam usa

Border

That 100 sq ft patch sounds like a perfect little place to bury an inspector. Especially for citing you for the trash that he obviously knew someone else dumped on you!

lol got to love alabama...if i didnt live here i wouldnt believe it. the insanity in this state makes me truly scratch my head in disbelief almost daily. if you're interested .. i have a VERY high profile attorney (you know him) who takes on these types of things as sport because he is fed up with the shenanigans as well, might be fun to go to your council hearing with an appointed judge / who is appointed to the oversite committee for home land defense / good use of time..nah....overkill...yeah..but f'em...

Mosh

Dude I can get you some stuff to spray on there that will not let anything grow for 3 years. I have Round-ups big brother here on the farm...how would they like that? The stuff I have to use kills plants in a 10' area just from the vapors when you open the barrel.. My beans are Hy-bred to withstand it, but anything else is dead for sure.

Locals Find!

If that grass is really bothering you and you would like an alternative to Mosh's spray (which might leave you with birds with 2 heads and kids with extra arms growing out of their backs). I can send you my 3 kids. Give em 2 days it will look like someone salted the earth in that space. Its taken me almost a year to get the weeds to even think about starting to grow back in my front yard from them messing around last year.

signage

Pat plant that 100 foot area full of dandelion's, and start making dandelion wine, tell them it is you wine garden:toasting::Big Laugh:rolleyes: