• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your favorite Knife

My trusty Kobalt (small olfa breakaway style) knife is wearing out...sure I could return to lowes and they would give me a new one, but it really isn't the best for signmaking...
Which are your favorite knives?

Ease of use?
Ergo Grip?
rounded front?
Will cut something it shouldn't be cutting in a pinch?

I'm looking to order one and because the knife is half of all we do in the biz I wanted some expert advice. (preferably with olfa style blades, since we are stocked)

oh and on another note I really like the (new?) exacto angled breakaway blades
:thankyou:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Olfa SVR-2 with Olfa Black Max blades. Careful with the black max blades on windows though - they WILL cut glass. I've tried all the others with comfort grips, etc. and come back to the SVR-2 every single time. Fits in my pocket the best, and the slim profile allows me the most precise control.

Olfa SVR-2 with Olfa Black Max blades. Careful with the black max blades on windows though - they WILL cut glass. I've tried all the others with comfort grips, etc. and come back to the SVR-2 every single time. Fits in my pocket the best, and the slim profile allows me the most precise control.

but doesn't the metal wear on you after a while?
True they are excellent knives but using one all day seems painful

signmeup

I get my break away knives and blades at Dollarama for (you guessed it) a dollar. That dollar gets me a 10 pack of blades or a knife that has 3 blades hidden in the handle. I buff the edges on a cotton wheel with jewelers rough on it for carving lettering and such. Makes a huge difference in the edge. I'm far too cheap to pay for an Olfa.

Pat Whatley

I get my break away knives and blades at Dollarama for (you guessed it) a dollar. That dollar gets me a 10 pack of blades or a knife that has 3 blades hidden in the handle.I'm far too cheap to pay for an Olfa.

Me too. Plus I lose the damn things so much that investing in anything better is useless. I just buy four or five packs of the 3-packs whenever I'm in the Dollar Tree.

Most of what I cut I do with either my x-acto or a single edged razor blade anyway.

phototec

Me too. Plus I lose the damn things so much that investing in anything better is useless. I just buy four or five packs of the 3-packs whenever I'm in the Dollar Tree.

Most of what I cut I do with either my x-acto or a single edged razor blade anyway.

Hey Pat, I thought I was the only one getting theses at Dollar Tree for $1, excellent value for something that only last for a few cuts and then you snap off the tip and through it away. Really not worth paying high dollar for any brand name, not trying to impress anyone, just get the job done.

:goodpost:

Twisted Images

i use whatever is going for 99 cents at that time.
I lose them or they walk off so often that I dont buy the nice ones anymore.

J

john1

I get my break away knives and blades at Dollarama for (you guessed it) a dollar. That dollar gets me a 10 pack of blades or a knife that has 3 blades hidden in the handle. I buff the edges on a cotton wheel with jewelers rough on it for carving lettering and such. Makes a huge difference in the edge. I'm far too cheap to pay for an Olfa.

I do the exact same thing, Been doing it for 5+ years

J Hill Designs

usually use this one...when I don't misplace it...

Attachments

• LargeKnife.jpg
    LargeKnife.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,140

Custom_Grafx

After a few different trials, I like these 2 best. I'm not a fiskars fan or anything but they just happen to be so.

The purple one is an xacto blade, thumb screw release from bottom, rubber grip with finger mould, good for holding it straight without rotating side to side. Not good for freehanding though because you can't easily roll it around in your hand. I have another fiskars for that which has a ring to put your finger through, it's a short stubby finger blade type thing.

The heavy one... wow, best all rounder.. you can even smash nuts open with the handle, or knock someone out, take a pick. It weighs much more than it looks, folds up to save space in your tool box (and good for safety), stores blades in it's butt, retractable blade, single button blade release for easy switching. I find because of its weight... when doing large qty cutting, much less fatiguing as you really don't need to put much pressure on it at all, the weight pretty much cuts vinyl on its own.

Attachments

• folded  heavy.jpg
    folded heavy.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 130
  • handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 131
  • heavy knife.jpg
    heavy knife.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 141
  • rubber fiskars.jpg
    rubber fiskars.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 140

slipperyfrog

Hands down NT PRO A-1 "THE RED DOT" with stainless blades. It has been the most comfortable knife I have used.

I do a lot of window work and the stainless blades don't scratch. I don't bother with other blade types as I'll end up forgetting one day to change them out and damage a window pane.

petesign

We went with Olfa in the beginning, and then switched to some cheapo red ones from Grainger. They sucked.. the blades constantly fell out of them while cutting. Back to Olfa we went, haven't looked back, and figure it's part of the cost of doing business.