• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

your suggestions for a new cutter

bella

Hi, as most of you know I am not a sign maker but I would like to buy a cutter. What would you suggest I buy?
1) A new cutter plotter?
2) A secondhand cutter, baring in mind I have never used one before?
3) What would be the best software for me?
4) I have seen some cutters that are 24 ins, are there any bigger ones?
5) What sum of money would I expect to pay for a good second hand machine and what would you expect to pay for a new machine? xxxxxx :thankyou:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What is YOUR budget ??

It's always better to buy based on your budget and get the best for what you already have and grow into things, unless you have an unrealistic mind for these things and don't have a handle for anything.

Your questions are a little vague to answer you without doing research and that would be helpful done on your time.

We could probalby suggest cutters, but buying second hand things for an item so inexpensive to start with.... sounds a little odd.

So, what are your needs for this cutter ??
What do you want to use it for and to what capacity ??
What is your budget ??
Do you know any current software based on vector files ??

blackicefx

My first cutter was a little Stika from roland that is 15". It was a great machine but really prevented me from doing larger items. I now have a 40" Panther (Graphtec rebrand from SignWarehouse) that is an awesome machine. I typically cut 24 and 30" material on it, ranging from cast 2mil vinyl to reflective 4-5mil vinyl. It cuts everything. New, I think it was $3k or so because it included VE Master+ 7.5v5 which is a rebrand of Flexi without the printing rip. Now I'd probably sell it for $1000 with the software. It's really up to you as far as what you want to do with it and what capabilities you want in the future.

Matthew

bella

Hello Gino my friend, I hope the sun is shining for you today? yes you are right my questions are some what vague, but that's lack of knowledge regarding the machinery you people use. I have no particular budget and a new cutter would be the way for me to go when I start. As you know i have large format printers so that side of things is no problem. It is just making the right decision on the correct cutter. The only software that I use at this time is corel draw which I use mainly for banners and photo shop. Many thanks Blackice Fx for your guidance. :thankyou:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Please bella, don’t start calling me your friend…. people will start talking…. euchhh !!

Corel Draw will work for your design and cutting program. I’m not up on Corel anymore, but I think there is a program called Co-Cut or something…. that bridges you from Corel to your cutter in one easy step.

If money is no object, then attend the very next sign show in your area and have a look see at what the NEW ones will do.

Again, bringing up the part about large format printing has no bearing in what you do here unless you intend to make large prints and then cut them using crop marks on your new cutter. Then it would serve you better to buy a cutter that is at least as big as your largest printer. That is why I asked your intentions. Just saying you wanna buy a cutter and asking basic questions doesn’t fix or help anyone……

Getting information doesn’t always have to be like pulling teeth, bella. Play fair, stay focused…. and we’re all here to help. :smile:

bella

Gino, people can be friends you know and people can talk as much as they want ha haaa!!!!!!!! I just want to get it right first time and have all the options covered.

blackicefx

If you plan to get a all-in-one printer/cutter, I am using a Roland VersaCamm and love it. I probably would have gotten a larger one but now am closing shop, so it doesn't matter anymore. If you are getting a dedicated printer only, then buy a cutter that has a registration reader of some sort. My Panther doesn't have the reader system but I only use it for vinyl cutting, py printer is a printer/cutter. If I had a heavier job flow, I'd probably look for a cutter with reader system. So it really does depend, like Gino says, on what you plan to do with it.

Matthew

GARY CULY

might look in the used machines ,there are plenty on the internet hardly used by people just starting in the sign field that have went bust ..the more people bying machines makes our craft just antother commodity you know .like bying levi's ,,sneakers ,etc..Of course,by all means though concider a new one and help keep the big companies making lots of dough pumping out machines at ultra low cost to keep degrading real signwriters . seriosly youll save hundreds bying a perfectly good machine used and help someone pay some bills they have ...cutters have come a long way last few years ..even the elcheapos from SW do a fine job for a long time..have software comes with them! .you too can be a master sign maker in about 2 weeks ...just type in the letters of font you want ..size it .cut it .stick -it ....its easy! 2.00 of cheap vynle for a FOR SALE sign can sell for 15.00 thats 13.00 profit in 30 minutes ..do it in your spare time and make thousands extra a year for friends and neighbors that would have went to a real sign shop ...remember its easy as 1-2-3 and no taxes ,license ,anything required to work out of your home! your friends will help [least for a while till the goody/new wears off and they have fun no more] so no overhead,emplyees to pay[or insurance] ,taxes,building payments .youll make a million ....AND did you know you can easily download all the software needed for FREE off the internet [every kid in town has a crack adobe suite,some even corel,flexi bout anything] so that alone will save hundreds.[heck im so stupid ive bought over 10,000.00 worth of LEGAL software in my life ,,,silly me]....you can MAKE signs for bout 500.00 start-up nowdays ...and i bet you can tell a man doing this for a living 32 years thinks it sucks! i dont know you personnally and this isnt a personal attack ,,i just had it finnally after 5 years on here of newbys ,people asking for where to get stuff to make signs,etc. to take moneys out of mine and other signwriters pockets.....and i flipped out ...o.k. im done ..thank you

OldPaint

some one on here is trying to sell a demo CX-400 ROLAND................find it and give them a cal or email!!!!

bella

might look in the used machines ,there are plenty on the internet hardly used by people just starting in the sign field that have went bust ..the more people bying machines makes our craft just antother commodity you know .like bying levi's ,,sneakers ,etc..Of course,by all means though concider a new one and help keep the big companies making lots of dough pumping out machines at ultra low cost to keep degrading real signwriters . seriosly youll save hundreds bying a perfectly good machine used and help someone pay some bills they have ...cutters have come a long way last few years ..even the elcheapos from SW do a fine job for a long time..have software comes with them! .you too can be a master sign maker in about 2 weeks ...just type in the letters of font you want ..size it .cut it .stick -it ....its easy! 2.00 of cheap vynle for a FOR SALE sign can sell for 15.00 thats 13.00 profit in 30 minutes ..do it in your spare time and make thousands extra a year for friends and neighbors that would have went to a real sign shop ...remember its easy as 1-2-3 and no taxes ,license ,anything required to work out of your home! your friends will help [least for a while till the goody/new wears off and they have fun no more] so no overhead,emplyees to pay[or insurance] ,taxes,building payments .youll make a million ....AND did you know you can easily download all the software needed for FREE off the internet [every kid in town has a crack adobe suite,some even corel,flexi bout anything] so that alone will save hundreds.[heck im so stupid ive bought over 10,000.00 worth of LEGAL software in my life ,,,silly me]....you can MAKE signs for bout 500.00 start-up nowdays ...and i bet you can tell a man doing this for a living 32 years thinks it sucks! i dont know you personnally and this isnt a personal attack ,,i just had it finnally after 5 years on here of newbys ,people asking for where to get stuff to make signs,etc. to take moneys out of mine and other signwriters pockets.....and i flipped out ...o.k. im done ..thank you
Gary, it's a shame that you are so twisted and bitter towards newbys entering the field. What a shame that you have such a narrow opinion. If you feel so bitter why not take what ever tools you have and move on to greener pastures where you will be happier! What is the point of having this site if newbys are not warmly excepted. Shame!:doh:

GoodPeopleFlags

But you say you are not a sign maker which is who these forums are for. We don't owe you anything so please get the chip off your shoulder. If you want help, please be kind and humble and we will help. The passive-agressive tone won't get you very far.

bella

But you say you are not a sign maker which is who these forums are for. We don't owe you anything so please get the chip off your shoulder. If you want help, please be kind and humble and we will help. The passive-agressive tone won't get you very far.
I have no chip on my shoulder, so I suggest you read Gary's post. It is there for all to see. He has obviously a massive chip on his shoulder. True I'm not a sign maker and I live in the UK, so I am not taking money from people's pockets. This form like so many on the Internet are free to people like myself to join and learn and share friendly information, or am I missing the point? :design:

GARY CULY

yep big chip....or whatever you want call it ..ill take the hit on this one saying what a hundred other PROFESSIONALS were wanting to post but didnt ....one thing about free speech,you can say what you want ,i can say what i want ..the way you INTERPRIT[SP] the words is up to each individual.....the way you interprit my post it is a twisted thing like you said...it may not be interprited that way from the other side of the fence or someone else.

i dont know you...you are probably a fine person so am i....i DID NOT direct that post directly to you...if you INTERPRITED it towards you directly i appologise....you should not be so narrow minded like i am and take it personal. i expect yet one more post from you in discust,but i am done posting on this subject ....have narrow minded twisted things to work on today!