• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your thoughts on Chisel Fonts

Steve C.

Do you have chisel fonts? Do you use them often? Do you like using them?
Would you pay extra for chisel fonts?

I am working on a new font. In the beginning, I had intended to do it as a
chisel font. It has grown into a three fonts set, consisting of 3 upper case
and two lower case fonts. Along with numbers, punctuation and accented
characters.....a lot of work to build chisels, and in the end would require a
total of 6 font files in all.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve C.

Attachments

• raptor sample.jpg
    raptor sample.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 321

Pro Image

I use the ones I have from Mr. Clipart almost once a week...........I like the looks you can acheive with the different colors and such...........

I think the font you have will be a great set.............

Steve C.

I guess what I'm really wanting to know is....
Would it be worth the extra time to make it a chisel font?
Worth it to pay extra to have the chisels prepared for you?
Worth the extra space they would take up in your font
library? Chisels can be generated in some design programs,
though I think they are lacking in comparison to hand digitized chisels.

I think the chisels would look great, It's so much work.....
can someone talk me out of it!

Pro Image

can someone talk me out of it!

Not NO but HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!:Big Laugh:Big Laugh

Your a great designer Steve no doubt about that...............

Im going to order you whole set in the near future after some of the big stuff get paid............lol

KR3signguy

Chisel fonts are only useful if they really are fitting to the design.
It seems to me that lots of signies choose to use them whenever possible even if it has no significance. Not always but I do see a lot of it.
They're quite overated.

SignosaurusRex

I know its a lot of work as you have stated Steve. Personally I think that any font that is chiseled, should be available in both left hand and right hand variations. That in itself would increase the value as well as the usability in my opinion. It seems to me that once you have the foundations built for the chisel, you are a good part of the way there for the opposite hand variation? I definately agree with you about hand digitized chisels and I feel that they are worth the extra investment.

Dave Drane

Steve, are the newer chisel fonts aimed more at digital printing or for layering in vinyl. I once painted them quite often back in the 60's when they were popular but layered vinyl is not quite the same. They also require a fine white line on the very top of the chisel to emphasise the highlites. I purchased Letterheads "Walldog" a long time ago which is about the most successful chisel font I have seen but it does require a very specialized situation to use it, such as when an old time theme is required like a second hand book store which was the last time I used it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Counterpoint: I've been in and around this business for over half a century and have never, as in ever, used a chisel type face. I've never had any job that I felt would be improved by a chisel type face. Contrariwise, I've seen a lot of gratuitous use of them and I seldom like the result.

Gimmicks are no substitute for proper typography.

Steve C.

Personally I think that any font that is chiseled, should be available in both left hand and right hand variations.

OMG...I want to be talked out of it and you suggest a 9 font set:rolleyes::Sleeping:

are the newer chisel fonts aimed more at digital printing or for layering in vinyl

They work well for both. Your highlight suggestion can be done with a white
outline around the chisel part of the letter and a dark outline on the base
part helps bring it forward, but, if you are doing cut vinyl, you now have
4 layers. Digital printing really makes this look good and saves vinyl.

Attachments

• Achiselsample.jpg
    Achiselsample.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 127

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a bunch of chiseled fonts, but rarely do I ever look at thin-stroked chisels as a choice on a sign. They tend to lose their effect on a word if it appears too weak. I like the thicker styles so you can make it look realistic.

Besides, with all the digital printing and effects in these programs today, one can develop your own chisel font out of about any type today.​

I agree, what you’re working on is nice and I think it will be more attractive to the younger eye, so it will probably sell like crazy.

Steve C.

Gimmicks are no substitute for proper typography.

Good point. But niether are they substitutes for good handlettering, Yet they
are used by many of the masters like Bert Quimby, Lane Walker, Bob
Bahounek, John Deaton, Dan Antonelli............

gvgraphics

Chisel fonts have their place, BUT the one you are showing us has now teased us all and you HAVE to finish it, with all 9 files!!! We all will talk you out of the idea AFTER you have it completed!!!

GO STEVE!!!!!!!!!