• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Z6200 rendering intent when printer manages colors?

maximumapogee

I have a Z6200 and am printing to it with a custom piece of software. The driver is set to "Printer Manage Colors" and "sRGB" source profile. My question is with the printer managing the colors, what's the rendering intent? There is no setting for rendering intent anywhere in the driver.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Rendering intent tells the RIP which method to use to convert the colors. Relative Colorimetric is pretty much standard but some people choose different ones depending on what outcome they want.

Absolute Colorimetric: Uses the original file's white point and tries to stay true to the original file. The problem is if the original file is out of gamut of the printer, the file will not convert well.

Relative Colorimetric: Most commonly used. Just like Absolute Colorimetric it converts colors based on the white point but this time of the destination white point which is the white point of the vinyl profile.

Perceptual: This is commonly used. Instead of converting based on white point it de-saturates colors in order to keep the relationship between them the same. It's hard to explain without visuals for this one unfortunately.

Saturation: Same as perpetual except it favors saturation a little more.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I have a Z6200 and am printing to it with a custom piece of software. The driver is set to "Printer Manage Colors" and "sRGB" source profile. My question is with the printer managing the colors, what's the rendering intent? There is no setting for rendering intent anywhere in the driver.

I'm thinking because you've chosen "Printer Manages Colors," the printer will chose Perceptual as its default because
1) I believe it's a photo printer,
2) because it's not being driven as a Postscript device until you utilize a RIP or revert to where you will manage the print options using something like Photoshop, etc.

maximumapogee

What software?

It's a custom piece of software I wrote. It loads a .jpg image, adds some text to the top and bottom of the image, then prints it using calls to the Windows GDI API. Probably an oversight in the ancient GDI, there's no way to set a rendering intent through the GDI.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.

With the printer managing the color the results should be pretty good. That's its job, no? Compare it's option to the option of yourself managing color in any way you see fit. What do you find?

maximumapogee

I'm thinking because you've chosen "Printer Manages Colors," the printer will chose Perceptual as its default because
1) I believe it's a photo printer,
2) because it's not being driven as a Postscript device until you utilize a RIP or revert to where you will manage the print options using something like Photoshop, etc.

You are probably right, Photoshop has a rendering intent option, of which the documentation says:

"Many non-PostScript printer drivers ignore this option and use the Perceptual rendering intent."