• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Zund

jasonx

Hey guys,

Looking for any input from the Zund owners here.

What size table have you got? Do you wish you got a wider or longer table?
What options didn't you get that you wish you got with the machine? I know this is dependant on the substrates you are cutting.

Did you get any options that you don't use?

We are looking at a 2XL3200 which should meet out 2.5m wide roll stock rather well plus all our board work and be able to load the 8x4 sheets across the machine instead of length ways and would aid our workflow in terms of where the machine will be positioned.

Do you have your air supply near the machine or further away and running a line to the machine?

Do you wish you left more space around the machine for loading an unloading?

Any other things that would help would be appreciated.

RoCo

L-2500, 80" wide table which is perfect for us since that's the max width of roll stock we use. Handles 4'x8' max flat stock. We can print flat up to a little over 6'x10' so in a perfect world the bed would have handled 5'x10 sheets of flat stock. Up to this point we really have run into no more than 4-5 instances where a longer table would have been nice for workflow considerations, but nothing that has lost us a job, so far.

We've used the kiss cut, EOT, blades and router features this one has, plus we are now investigating the cutting / creasing capability it has.

The air line is a drop from the overhead to keep it out of the way, and you may also consider doing the same for power and networking cables.

High ceilings are a plus and adequate storage space for all of your flat stock should be kept in mind. Not sure what your forklift situation is, but they do come in handy.

Another issue is scrap removal out of your workspace. Like seemingly everything else in grand format production, cutting generates a lot of waste of all shapes and awkward sizes. It piles up in no time and virtually none of it is recyclable so it has to make it into your dumpster.

What would I like to be able to do with this equipment? Figure or find out a simple way to "carve" out large areas of material to create different levels. Not 3D, necessarily, just different heights.

RoCo

Oh, also confirm how wide you can cut on your model. Our table can accept a roll of media 80" wide, but it can only cut 72" wide (and that includes the dots the camera uses to align itself).

jasonx

Thanks for your feedback.

We currently use cantilever racking and a forklift to store our flat stock media.

We currently have a flatbed and the workflow would be straight off the flat bed onto the Zund and out the door.

We're already generating a lot more waste with the flatbed. I have a bin tipper that attaches to the forklift to make emptier rubbish into our master bin easier.

Only thing I am worried about is space from our loading end as there isn't a tone of room on that side where I plan to situate the machine. But we could always load longer sheets side on if need be.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Zund l2500

What size table have you got? Do you wish you got a wider or longer table?
What options didn't you get that you wish you got with the machine? I know this is dependant on the substrates you are cutting.

Did you get any options that you don't use?

We are looking at a 2XL3200 which should meet out 2.5m wide roll stock rather well plus all our board work and be able to load the 8x4 sheets across the machine instead of length ways and would aid our workflow in terms of where the machine will be positioned.

Do you have your air supply near the machine or further away and running a line to the machine?

Do you wish you left more space around the machine for loading an unloading?

Any other things that would help would be appreciated.

We have the L2500, 72" by 98". We would have liked to get the wider and longer to put 8' rolls of material, but it just got to expensive. The 98" isn't that big of a deal, but it is sometimes picky on 4x8 sheets and it moves it a quarter inch forward so it's just in the right spot. More kind of annoying. I'm not sure how long that machine is your looking at but just keep in mind when your cutting long jobs or tiled jobs you have to make sure you have dots in the right positions or it won't line up after it moves. Ex. If we're cutting a 12' continuous job, it will read 8' of dots, then cut 4', move it forward 4', reread the 4' of dots and then the latter 4' of dots then cut. If you only have dots and the beginning and end the middle sometimes won't line up correctly.

We also dropped a airline down to the machine from the ceiling.

We have 2 UCT modules, the POT, KCT and the router unit. We've never used the small creasers but have used the large creaser for cardboard. I didn't like the POT unit at first, but I've found that it works great for foam, where the router doesn't work as well. It also comes in handy with foamcore if your trying to cut close to the edge. Sometimes the drag knives pull out the center. I would still like to have the V-Cut tool too.

Our zund is placed about 4' from one wall and the open on the other 3 sides. Were surprised at how much stock can stack up around it. We never thought we would end up cutting 95% of our work on it. We thought we would just do our shaped stuff on it, but it cuts just about everything now that we've figured out how to use it.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. We've had our ZUND since January of this year and definitely would not want to be without it now.

Grizzly

Hatch Fill, Island Fill

What would I like to be able to do with this equipment? Figure or find out a simple way to "carve" out large areas of material to create different levels. Not 3D, necessarily, just different heights.

RoCo, you can do this with the router. You can either use the Score or Engrave option, then in cut editor, select your object, go to tools, then hatch or island fill. This will cut out everything that is in that area. Make more layers and different depth percentages to create more levels or heights.

RoCo

Thanks, Grizzly. I'll look into that, today.

And it sounds like we are running the same machine set up the same way and have the same thoughts about it.

We use a router bit for gatorfoam and the EOT for foamcore.

RoCo

Grizzly, what cutting software are you using? We have the Touch-N-Cut that was included with the cutter and I don't see those options anywhere.

Grizzly

Zcc

Grizzly, what cutting software are you using? We have the Touch-N-Cut that was included with the cutter and I don't see those options anywhere.

Ours came with Zund Cut Center. Maybe search the help in Touch NCut for island or hatch fill.

jasonx

Hey guys

We've settled on a 2XL 3200, two universal modules, routing module, UCT, KCT, POT, VCT, CTT1, CTT2, Prepare It, Zund Cut Centre, Roll loader, AKI, Workstation, ICC.

Should give us all our bases covered in terms of most of the substrates we'd want to finish on the machine.

Can't wait to get it in my hands.

Grizzly

Hey guys

We've settled on a 2XL 3200, two universal modules, routing module, UCT, KCT, POT, VCT, CTT1, CTT2, Prepare It, Zund Cut Centre, Roll loader, AKI, Workstation, ICC.

Should give us all our bases covered in terms of most of the substrates we'd want to finish on the machine.

Can't wait to get it in my hands.

Awesome! You'll wonder what you ever did without! What is the Prepare It?
You did get the camera right? Is that the ICC?

jasonx

Awesome! You'll wonder what you ever did without! What is the Prepare It?
You did get the camera right? Is that the ICC?

The ICC is the camera.

Prepare it is a piece of zund software that prepares files. You can do alot of the features in your RIP. But it have some nifty features such as better nesting minimise substrate usage, features like grommet marks, automatic cut lines.

It fully integrates with Zund cut centre and has client/server setup so multiple prepress operators can get jobs ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBb6WalA1U