• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3 Sign Shops Closed

We refer to it as a PIA factor (pain in the ass) and add a percentage to the job when dealing with demanding or untrainable clients.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You should make it a line item on the invoice, really let them know how you feel.

Does this customer get your blook boiling, check yes or no

_____yes _____no If yes, add 30%

I have a line item in my quoting system and it just says S.F. It's used only when its a bad penny. It's usually about 33% of the overall cost at the end. Care to guess what it stands for ?? If the customer asks, what's this, I tell them, oh that, it's my 'selective factoring'. Ohh.... so what's that ?? Making sure we have the top of the line in materials quoted, being used and being used in your particular project. Usually just look away after that dumb explanation.

Signarama Jockey

Sounds to me like you are sitting on a gold mine. If you have that big of a piece of the market and you have more jobs than you can do, that tells me that you have something really valuable.

Someone suggested hiring those other two girls. I think you should. I think you should hire them and step back. Let them manage the shop, and you might hire someone extra just to make the work go quicker.

How many business owners want the problem of "too many people wanting to give me money"? I know I want that problem.

You've obviously played your cards right. If this is something that you'll ultimately want to leave behind, then get the people in there who can do the day to day, and they might eventually even buy you out and take over. Your business is thriving because of you. I say cash in!

Signarama Jockey

I have heard this dicussion on "to much work, raise your prices" etc. Do not think you are going to win the Nobel prize on economics with that form of businrss. It gets a little more complicated than that.
It's supply and demand, though. As the demand raises, and the supply stays constant, the prices go up.

I mean, there's a line, I agree. It is true that as you raise your prices, you will lose customers. But, I don't think it is at all out of line to demand more when more people need your services.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Signjockey...... do you really think hiring two girls from two separate failed shops is the thing to do ?? Any hint what the common denominator might be ?? Ya look for young blood which has talent.

Signarama Jockey

Signjockey...... do you really think hiring two girls from two separate failed shops is the thing to do ?? Any hint what the common denominator might be ?? Ya look for young blood which has talent
My shop has been trying to get to fully staffed for awhile now - and that's really just straightforward table work and tool pushing. If you're hip to that big pool of young people who don't mope around all day looking at their phones and actually dive into working, please point me in their direction.

I do think that people who know this business are valuable. I also know that they had some management experience. Perhaps they aren't failures doomed to fail forever just because they failed once. Perhaps they could be taught, mentored and become tremendous assets.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, is it your shop or are you a glorified babysitter ?? The best people we ever had, were not burnt out ex-employees or stolen from other shops. We hired based upon their integrity, ability and if we could stand looking at each other.

JBurton

Signtologist
If you're hip to that big pool of young people who don't mope around all day looking at their phones and actually dive into working, please point me in their direction.
My new favorite employees are coming from a rehabilitation program. They are punctual, polite, hard working, and have no idea what signs are. Give me the first three and I can work with ya. But really, out of the 4 guys we've hired on, 1 graduated the program and moved away, one failed out of the program, and two are currently employed.

Signarama Jockey

So, is it your shop or are you a glorified babysitter ?? The best people we ever had, were not burnt out ex-employees or stolen from other shops. We hired based upon their integrity, ability and if we could stand looking at each other.
I think our staffing issue is probably because we are near some universities. I think that changes the job prospects for the 20somethings in our area. There are more exciting places to work than a sign shop, and most of the people who would do great here don't really consider it as an option. That's just my guess.

See, I have worked at a few sign shops, and more than a few print shops in my time. I don't consider myself to be either burnt out or stolen. If anything, I would view an extended resume with signmaking to be an asset to a signmaker. I believe there is value in experience. But, hey, if you think new blood is the way to go, and you can find the right people, more power to you! :)

Stacey K

I like making signs
In my experience, teenagers/young people are not interested in making signs. I've had a lot of middle-aged women ask me if I'm hiring LOL