• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Printable Vinyl 54" Recommendations

Stormyj

Just another guy
Hi all,
I have a customer that insists on 3m products. I normally do not use 3m, but if he's paying for it, Ill use it. I'm using a sc540 printer with normal eco-solvent inks. There going on abused moving trucks, so I wont be laminating them and I don't need top of the line. My supplier does not have any digitally printable 3m vinyl so I need recommendations from all of you. Im thinking of calendared since there are no curves and they are going right on the sides of box trucks.
Thanks all.
Jim

Asuma01

3M IJ180 cv3.
And I would highly recommend laminating the prints. I dont care how beat up those trucks are.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Im not laminating them due to the trucks being beat up, but because the trucks are in service an extremely limited time. Less than a year. And are beat to death by the customers. Not because they are junk trucks. He just has a high turn around.

reQ

If decals, and you would like as cheap as possible 3m:

IJ35c intermediate - is okay, if decals does not have to last for over 1 or 2 years on a vehicle
40C - premium cal vinyl - superior, if compared to 35c, specially for vehicle applications
180cv3 - cast vinyl... in your case i don't think you will end up using it, cuz its expensive

If flat wraps

40c - is alrights for trucks without rivets or with really flat ones
180cv3 - nothing to add, cast vinyl goes on anything you would want.

No lamination is not really good idea, but if customer agrees on that, oh well.

Tony McD

3m makes different qualities just like everyone else.
Never had much luck with ij35c lasting very long.....don't know about the 40c, might be wonderful stuff.
The 180c would be a good choice, but if it's not laminated you will probably need to use transfer tape.

Stormyj

Just another guy
They claimed the last guy gave them decals 56"x63" that were applied with transfer tape. Im thinking, it might be better to just laminate them, easier to apply without transfer tape, then using the tape. What do you all think.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
They claimed the last guy gave them decals 56"x63" that were applied with transfer tape. Im thinking, it might be better to just laminate them, easier to apply without transfer tape, then using the tape. What do you all think.
Yes.
We've gotten into the habit of laminating most all of our prints on vinyl, even the POP stuff that only has to last 30-60 days.
Makes for easier install and handling by the customer.

wayne k
guam usa

milchad

Yes.
We've gotten into the habit of laminating most all of our prints on vinyl, even the POP stuff that only has to last 30-60 days.
Makes for easier install and handling by the customer.

wayne k
guam usa

+1 on the ease of install. Without overlam, the 2 mil vinyl is easy to stretch and tear plus it is very easy to accidentally add wrinkles the graphics when going over with a hand squeegee if you aren't real careful.

player

Odd that the customer is demanding 3m, yet will accept unlaminated cheap 3m. Also that they will
only last one year, but wants to pay for a premium long life 3m vinyl.

I would use a cost effective cast and lam, unless 3m makes a competitively priced vinyl. There is a merchant here
that sells German cast vinyl for I think $275 for 54" x 150'.

brihalter

Yes, the post above is correct. We do have a German cast film for $275.00 which is 54" x 150' here at Instant One Media. If you are interested in seeing a sample please let me know.

Thanks,

TimToad

Yes, the post above is correct. We do have a German cast film for $275.00 which is 54" x 150' here at Instant One Media. If you are interested in seeing a sample please let me know.

Thanks,

Is there a compatible or matching laminate for this product yet?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Moving trucks get beat up by tree branches driving through the neighborhoods. Without lamination the ink will get scratched off the top 2 feet in no time.

Andy D

We use 3M 50 series for cut vinyl, but I also print to it for situations like yours.
It prints very nicely and has a bright white color point. I don't think it conforms
very well so I wouldn't use in on rivets or compound curves.