• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

48C Lifting

Aaron Hunter

We have a client that we've moved to 3M-48C from 40C. The issues we are having is that in the past we've been able to install rather quickly after painting without lifting issues. We have been able to install and post heat roll with success, even after only a day or 2 for the paint to outgas. Has anyone encountered this issue and have feedback as far as a solution (other than a complete outgas)? These murals and graphics typically need to last 6 months to a year tops.
Thanks!

DL Signs

Never go against the family
You got lucky in the past, not allowing paint to fully cure is just asking for issues. With the way paints are getting formulated for easy clean-ability, vinyls are having a harder time sticking to them even when fully cured.

A std non-PVC calendared like 48C will shrink more, and quicker than a higher quality polymeric calendared like 40C is. Once it starts shrinking, if the edges don't have a good bite, the adhesive will let go & curl. 48C has shrinkage of up 0.015", doesn't sound like much, and probably not noticeable to the eye, but spread out over something the size of a wall mural, it's enough to pop edges loose unless you have a really good surface to stick to. You'll probably have to wait for the paint to fully cure using 48C, actually surprised you haven't had problems with the 40C. Even though the 40 is a better choice, out-gassing paint will always try to push any vinyl off.

Aaron Hunter

I think I figured it out..overlam. The failures happen primarily on laminated graphics. Lamination won't allow for any outgassing through the media.