• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

5.0 with windows 7 or 8???

Marlene

I have to upgrade and buy a new computer as I'm running XP. for those with Omega 5.0.0.71, is there a difference, advantage or disavantage of running windows 7 or 8?

SignBurst PCs

Being an XP user, it may be a little easier to transition to Windows 7 than Windows 8. 99% of the computers that we build for our sign shop customers are Windows 7.

WildWestDesigns

Being an XP user, it may be a little easier to transition to Windows 7 than Windows 8. 99% of the computers that we build for our sign shop customers are Windows 7.

I would second this, especially if you are using a desktop or a non-touch laptop.

Win 8 on a tablet (I enjoy Win 8 a lot on my Cintiq Companion) or with a touch screen is not all that hard to transition. A couple of days and I wasn't having any problem with it at all.

But if it's for a desktop, get Win 7.

idsignsil

I am running a Signburst Inferno with Win 7 and Omega 4.0. It was a bit tricky trying to get everything set up for the 2 plotters that we run. Once I got the correct serial to usb conversion cable, everything works great. There have been a few other threads where the correct cables were discussed.

Tony Teveris

Omega 5.0 executes o Windows 7 or 8 just fine.

On 8 just boot / login / tiles will appear and select the desktop - bingo it's that easy. Now if you want to play with all the non productive crap your on your own.

If it's a new computer you may need the Gerber serial solution (USB to Serial) for the cutter and the USB to Parallel if you have and Edge or Edge II.

Note: there is an update (73) on the web site or via Omega Update - nothing to do with any of the above.