• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6042 changing ink sets to LH-100 from LF-140

btxmedia

Currently using LF-140 ink but it is discontinued so it's getting hard to find stock.

I was told by one tech that changing to LH-100 from LF-140 would likely damage the heads because they are "so old." Even if they were properly flushed. The printer has given me no problems so it seems like a waste to spend tens of thousands on a 6042 MKII just because the LF-140 is gone.

Is it possible to change inksets to the LH-100 without messing the heads up if flushed correctly? Would also need to change the filters and subtank after flushing the old ink out.

Or should I just find a clone LF-140 supplier? (Am open to any recommendations there)

Smoke_Jaguar

Doing a full ink swap is always somewhat risky, the trick is clearing out everything you can. I recommend grabbing a few bottles of the Mimaki flush and doing it one head (pair) at a time. Good idea to change the ink filters as they can hold onto ink and coagulate when certain inks are mixed. Subtanks can also be a recommended item to change as well, but that's up to you. Not a bad idea to run a fill/flush at least 4 times to get everything filled up with flush. Then, change your filters (and subtanks if doing those), fill/flush 2 more times on flush solvent, then a couple cycles with your new ink. Toshiba heads are decently durable, and most UV inks have similar jetting properties as far as the heads are concerned. However, where you can run into trouble is reactions between incompatible inks and can gum up and permanently trash a head in some cases.

For filters part number M022219, I use Digiprint-Supplies and get them under $12/piece, but can take a couple weeks to get in. Otherwise, about $25-28 each from the usual Mimaki dealers.

Filters are located under the ink bottle station behind backside large flat panel and there should be 8 of them.

btxmedia

Thanks for the reply. Should have been more clear - this is on a 6042 MKi original version with the Gen 4 heads, not the MKii with Toshiba heads. Besides using cartridges of flushing liquid rather than bottles would anything change?

Smoke_Jaguar

Gen4 heads are pretty durable, just use the service ports on the front of the head carriage to pull out the ink. Can use isopropyl or ethyl acetate to flush those heads easily. I just use cheap ink bags to snap into the cartridges and I fill those with whatever I want to flush with.