• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6mm PVC Letter adhesion to MDF or Extira

ShaneBassett

Good morning!

I have a sign install where we're adding a white pvc letter on top of a painted base layer letter that's wider for effect.

Although the letters will be crazy light, I'm not crazy about attaching them directly to a freshly painted surface. I'm thinking of masking the bare material off below, just looking for recommendations for thr proper bonding material for the pvc to mdf (its actually extira). Would silicone work?

Thank you

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Screw through from the back, unless you can drill and put some studs in yourself, then into the wood

ShaneBassett

Screw through from the back, unless you can drill and put some studs in yourself, then into the wood
I appreciate the info and that's exactly the perfect idea if the material was thicker (forgot to specify for you). It 6mm white pvc.

CanuckSigns

Can you use small Brad nails from a air powered Brad gun, that along with silicone should be fine, a bit of filler in the holes and Noone should be able to tell

visual800

go to your auto paint supplyand get a can of 2 part primer , dont use rustoleum primer. Spray the back of the pvc, scuff the area its going on and use silicone. It doesnt take alot of ailicone just do dots on it about dime size, let sit overmight you wont have any issues

ShaneBassett

go to your auto paint supplyand get a can of 2 part primer , dont use rustoleum primer. Spray the back of the pvc, scuff the area its going on and use silicone. It doesnt take alot of ailicone just do dots on it about dime size, let sit overmight you wont have any issues
Thanks a bunch

rossmosh

This is the benefit of 12MM letters. You can back cut them on the CNC and drill for studs at the same time. Then you just have to screw the studs directly in. No tapping necessary.

Assuming you're cutting the MDF/Extira backer panel, you can also have the CNC drill out for the studs at the same time. It will make assembly a breeze and is well worth the extra few minutes of CNC time.

Also look into E6000. It's a little expensive, but I like it better than Lexel or Silicone. Everything has its place though.