• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A Bevel Effect????

"Deposit Please"

I'm trying to mimic this cool effect on some lettering using photoshop or illustrator cs4. Is it possible in photoshop/illy?? i used a hard bevel in psd, but it's not the same. filter maybe?? i Dunno

Attachments

• okc signs101.jpg
    okc signs101.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 87

WildWestDesigns

Ai has what they call a bevel effect, but I don't think it'll produce that result that you are looking for. Although, I haven't played with it that much, so I could be wrong.

Craig Sjoquist

Corel has a bevel effect but it adds grays to the color, not color I have X3 and did a bevel on my bus. card looks ok but I would rather use color for a bevel instead of graying of color.

GypsyGraphics

those are not affects, there are no gradients or shadowing. the highlights and shadows are each a solid colored vector shape.

if you're more comfortable in PSD than Illy... start there playing with the angles just to see where you want the bevels to fall... then bring it into illy to vectorize it and give the hard sharp edges.

Custom_Grafx

Optically split it up in Ai and use the live paint tool. It is much easier than having to individually make shapes - you just need to have the lines there.

Have a nice gradient/colour pallette pre-defined at your screen side and you'll quickly get some good results.

Attachments

• bevel.jpg
    bevel.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 68

iSign

study Steve C's prismatic fonts, or others & think of light sources.
The letters above all have some issues with them.

Actually in the OP's case, he can just draw additional vector contours to match his clients artwork, but for creating vector prismatic effects by hand, think of light sources, and picture carving or routing a true incised, or reverse incised (prismatic) letter and then you should be well on your way to identifying where new vectors should be added, and how they should be painted.

Here's a variation I would suggest on the "O" in the above post:

PRISMATIC2.jpg

artbot

it was hand done. look at the bottom of the c and bottom of the k. they have a different bevel. couldn't take more than a few minutes to do this.

signswi

those are not affects, there are no gradients or shadowing. the highlights and shadows are each a solid colored vector shape.

if you're more comfortable in PSD than Illy... start there playing with the angles just to see where you want the bevels to fall... then bring it into illy to vectorize it and give the hard sharp edges.

You can use the 3D Bevel in Illustrator and then expand the effect and fill the shapes with solid colors. Messing with the lighting settings can achieve the look as well.

However I agree with everyone, OP example and stuff like it is best/easiest by hand.