• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe - Finally

HulkSmash

I have zero problem with a digital download. I can burn my own optical disks if need be. That isn't my gripe.

First off, Adobe's pricing is killer for what you get in the first place. My software costs 15k for one program, not a suite of programs, and to upgrade to the very next version is $1400. Y'all have it good with Adobe pricing.

However, here is the stickler. If you do not need the Master Suite in your workflow, let's say Design (Production) Premium is what you need. In 7 years you are paying more for the cloud then if you upgraded every new release with the perpetual license. This is factoring in no upgrade pricing what so ever when you just start out, rather you are talking about getting the perpetual license or the cloud. That would be worse case scenario. Not every one needs the Master Suite. My workflow, if I was to keep with Adobe, can be run with Design Standard. The ROI of sticking with perpetual is even less then the two Premium distributions.

Now, factor this in. Let's say Adobe CC 8 requires other software/hardware upgrades in order for it to even run or run to it's potential. You are stuck doing those upgrades as well. You won't be able to hold off to do that where you are able to handle that "pill" more efficiently.

Having a rough patch as far as business goes, you run the risk of being without software that you use to make money with. That will probably hurt the freelancers the most.

I don't buy Adobe's marketing spin that now that they are able to focus on one type of offering that they can produce a better product. They should be able to easily implement a solution that would make it easier for them (after the first generation of doing it) and be able to continue to offer both a perpetual license and cloud based license.

Thankfully, I do have an alternative and ironically it's one that I shell out more money to and it's going to be even more worth it to me now then before and I usually don't have any issue with shelling out for upgrades even just 1 generation a part upgrades. Like a couple of others, I consider it a cost of doing business, but this is one "pill" of a cost too big for me to swallow.

I'd love to see a link to the software that cost 15k that does embroidering. We may be "lucky" with software, but when it comes to machines.. well you see where i'm going..

rjssigns

The scenario you present I do not have a problem with. I pay for it one time and can use it forever. With Adobe's view of cloud, if you ever stop paying, you will never have any way to open or modify any of your files again. Sure, there are workarounds to at least view/print psd and ai files. I created these files in Photoshop or Illustrator, up to now I can forever open and modify my creations in CS6. In CS7, anything you create, if you stop paying Adobe every month, you are locked out of your creations.

Excellent point!

mark in tx

There are very good reasons I don't have my production or artwork computers hooked to the internet.
I don't get viruses or updates that break programs or operating systems.
I don't have java or flash updates every other day.
etc...

I do have a couple of computers hooked to the internet that run antivirus and other programs, and yes, its an extra step to get a file from that computer and thumb drive it to the artist, but its an extra step that has avoided so many problems I'm glad to take it.

WildWestDesigns

I'd love to see a link to the software that cost 15k that does embroidering. We may be "lucky" with software, but when it comes to machines.. well you see where i'm going..

I'm sorry. $14,999. One dollar short.

http://www.balboastitch.com/merchandise/index.php?cat=297

Use the links on the left and click on Level 3.

I know what you are talking about with machines, I have those too.

That's a generation old too. The new version they have gone modular, so if you want the price of a new one, you'll have to ask for a quote and tell them you want everything (except schifli, no one uses that anymore, at least not that I'm aware of). Since they have gone modular upgrade cost went from $1000 per each generation (up to 3 generations old) to $1400.

Now this is the full version, equivalent to the Master Suite. The entry level software, is $2k for DecoStudio.

Edit: Opps, they have DecoStudio at $999. Last time I had priced it, it was $2k. I wonder if that's Deco Lite that ships with some embroidery machines.

omgsideburns

In my office environment, I can't imagine not using Adobe software for the foreseeable future. In the event that I no longer use their software but I need to open a file created in it, for $10 I can get a month of access to the program I need.

I'm not completely ignorant to this scenario. I have a huge box of floppies full of old engraved sign designs but the computer no longer works, the floppy drive was hit or miss reading the disks when I moved it in to another computer, the software disk had gone bad, and there's no way to implement these old files in to my work flow because it's some proprietary format for the engraving program. The engraver still works, and it runs with modern software, but the old files are toast. It's only been an inconvenience once, maybe twice, that I can remember though.

I think the good will far outweigh the bad. Chances are in ten years, the software won't even run on whatever generation of computers we will be using, but cross your fingers adobe files still open with adobe software.

WildWestDesigns

I think the good will far outweigh the bad. Chances are in ten years, the software won't even run on whatever generation of computers we will be using, but cross your fingers adobe files still open with adobe software.

By that time, I'll probably use WINE on Linux. CS5 should have a gold ranking by then.

HulkSmash

I'm sorry. $14,999. One dollar short.

http://www.balboastitch.com/merchandise/index.php?cat=297

Use the links on the left and click on Level 3.

I know what you are talking about with machines, I have those too.

That's a generation old too. The new version they have gone modular, so if you want the price of a new one, you'll have to ask for a quote and tell them you want everything (except schifli, no one uses that anymore, at least not that I'm aware of). Since they have gone modular upgrade cost went from $1000 per each generation (up to 3 generations old) to $1400.

Now this is the full version, equivalent to the Master Suite. The entry level software, is $2k for DecoStudio.

Edit: Opps, they have DecoStudio at $999. Last time I had priced it, it was $2k. I wonder if that's Deco Lite that ships with some embroidery machines.

it's almost like a RIP that we need. What's that software do that makes it so expensive? The stock art on there is far from appealing.

WildWestDesigns

it's almost like a RIP that we need. What's that software do that makes it so expensive? The stock art on there is far from appealing.

That would be one long post for me to put on here. I would be willing to post one up in the Embroidery section so not to get this thread too off topic if you really want to know. I'm a software junkie, so I like to talk about this stuff, so if you really want to know, I'll post something up there.

It's worth every penny of it, but it's also my mainstay as well and a true alternative for Ai (it handles true vectors as well as embroidery vectors and that includes creating them as well).

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
The other white elephant in this room that I am surprised no one commented on... a software engineer from Gerber saying finally? What is the implication? Adobe software is finally here or the fact that they are finally cloud only? Is this a hint of what's to come from Gerber?

Microsoft is doing it with Office too

WildWestDesigns

The other white elephant in this room that I am surprised no one commented on... a software engineer from Gerber saying finally? What is the implication? Adobe software is finally here or the fact that they are finally cloud only? Is this a hint of what's to come from Gerber?

Microsoft is doing it with Office too

I believe it's that and I believe that that also goes into the other white elephant on the fall out with the other software companies if this is too successful for Adobe. That's more of the scary thing for me, is the prospective fall out.

I've actually started using LibreOffice since MS started doing one seat (permanently locked with your motherboard ID, so you can't transfer it) at what $130 or $140 for Word. LibreOffice works just fine for me. I still use Outlook 2007 though. I like the intergration of Outlook with Acrobat Plugin from Acrobat Pro.

Marlene

I hope not. it would suck totally

dypinc

When it comes to future CC versions I guess this answers the question about being forced to upgrade or does it?

http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2013/03/5-myths-about-adobe-creativ e-cloud.html

Myth #5: I will be forced to always run the latest version of the software

You are not forced to upgrade. You can continue to run which ever versions of the software that you want until YOU are ready to upgrade. This is crucial for workflows that involve working with clients or vendors that may not be on the latest versions of the software. You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released.

So CS6 has been out for a year now. You can no longer use CS5 NOW!

IS THIS THE FUTURE WITH CC?
huh.gif

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Adobe currently has the discounted first year subscriptions for Creative Cloud available to users of CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS6. It's $29.99 for CS3-CS5 users, $19.99 for CS6 box users.

CS5 was never available as part of a Creative Cloud subscription.

CC users who have CS6 applications installed, AFAIK, won't have to immediately install the CC replacement of a CS6 application. The only thing worries me about switching out my CS6 apps for the new CC versions is breaking a couple Photoshop plugins, such as Alien Skin Eye Candy 7.

Users of older Creative Suite perpetual licenses will still be able to use them as long as they're able to run on the user's computer system. Adobe recently turned off the activation servers for CS2, but made activation free versions of those apps freely available -mainly to help out existing CS2 users who might have to reinstall their software. Unfortunately CS2 is only going to work on ancient computer hardware running Windows XP or Windows 2000. Photoshop CS2 can run in Windows Vista, but many of those CS2 apps are broken in Vista, Win7 and Win8. Adobe CS3 apps run into many of the same problems. The CS4 and CS5 generations are more stable in Vista and Win7. I don't know how well they'll work in Win8.

Add in the wrinkle of April 8, 2014: the date Microsoft ends all support for Windows XP. That's gonna run down the usability for CS2 and CS3.

WildWestDesigns

Add in the wrinkle of April 8, 2014: the date Microsoft ends all support for Windows XP. That's gonna run down the usability for CS2 and CS3.

Linux? I do believe CS2 (and maybe 3) have gold ratings for the WINE application. If just die-hard for older adobe stuff, go the Linux route.