• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe / Pantone?

dypinc

Check to see if your RIP will export Pantone Spot libraries in a format that Adobe apps will read.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Here's one solution that works without having to buy a $180 per year subscription to Pantone Connect:

Install the previous version of Illustrator. Open up the Creative Cloud Desktop app, bring up the All Apps tab, at the Adobe Illustrator listing click on the three dots icon next to the "open" button. It will display a fly-out menu showing options, including "other versions." It lists all the previous v27 and v26 builds. I think v27.1.1 and earlier will include the Pantone spot color books.

Once you've installed an earlier version of Illustrator locate the ACB color book files related to Pantone. On the Windows platform the path is: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator\Presets\en_US\Swatches\Color Books. Make copies of those ACB files for safe keeping. Then place copies of those ACB files into the corresponding folder in the current version of Illustrator.

There's a couple drawbacks with this approach. One is you'll still get pestered by the application with warnings about Pantone colors when opening art with Pantone spot color fills. But they'll at least display in their proper color. The second drawback is any newer spot colors that aren't included in those existing ACB color book files won't be supported. They'll probably display in black.

I have a feeling Pantone will have to reverse course on this ploy with Adobe applications. So many people using Pantone spot color fills do so in more than just Adobe-branded applications. Pantone apparently doesn't have any solutions regarding that.
This is great to know, thank you. Will give this a shot.

WildWestDesigns

The second drawback is any newer spot colors that aren't included in those existing ACB color book files won't be supported. They'll probably display in black.
Wasn't that already the claim that even with the newer versions, that the Adobe palettes haven't been updated since what 2010 (I take that not only as not being on the latest and greatest, but not even a year or two behind, but still going forward, but maybe I'm wrong in that assumption)? That would mean that all the way back to 5.5 that I think came out in 2011 was roughly when outdated palettes first started coming out. So even if Adobe had still kept them, if I'm reading that argument correctly, they wouldn't have been updated anyway.

Now my needs for pantone were few and far between as pantone support was not the greatest for my typical end product, so I haven't really kept up with that as well.

From the articles that I had read, but this I recall was from Oct of last year, so it could have changed, is that supposedly the old files that used spot colors would still retain that info (without having to move files around from old versions to the next), but people were getting black instead. But that was back in October of last year.

I have a feeling Pantone will have to reverse course on this ploy with Adobe applications. So many people using Pantone spot color fills do so in more than just Adobe-branded applications. Pantone apparently doesn't have any solutions regarding that.

I don't know about that. The whole direction is more towards the a la carte subscription service. They may be just testing the waters with Adobe in this regard. Adobe customers have been subscription only customers for a long time. Been what 10 years since CS6 was released with a perpetual license (and with 5.5 that there starting of the offering of perpetual and subscription license)? The end goal is SaaS (I wouldn't be surprised it also being web-based at that even with the Adobe products, with WASM that's definitely possible), so I think that's where things are heading, rather or not there are bumps in the road is another thing.

I have to wonder if there will be a checking of files in periodic updates as well would go on. So this fix may have to be periodically applied as well, so keep that in mind.

CanuckSigns

Wasn't that already the claim that even with the newer versions, that the Adobe palettes haven't been updated since what 2010 (I take that not only as not being on the latest and greatest, but not even a year or two behind, but still going forward, but maybe I'm wrong in that assumption)? That would mean that all the way back to 5.5 that I think came out in 2011 was roughly when outdated palettes first started coming out. So even if Adobe had still kept them, if I'm reading that argument correctly, they wouldn't have been updated anyway.

Now my needs for pantone were few and far between as pantone support was not the greatest for my typical end product, so I haven't really kept up with that as well.

From the articles that I had read, but this I recall was from Oct of last year, so it could have changed, is that supposedly the old files that used spot colors would still retain that info (without having to move files around from old versions to the next), but people were getting black instead. But that was back in October of last year.

I don't know about that. The whole direction is more towards the a la carte subscription service. They may be just testing the waters with Adobe in this regard. Adobe customers have been subscription only customers for a long time. Been what 10 years since CS6 was released with a perpetual license (and with 5.5 that there starting of the offering of perpetual and subscription license)? The end goal is SaaS (I wouldn't be surprised it also being web-based at that even with the Adobe products, with WASM that's definitely possible), so I think that's where things are heading, rather or not there are bumps in the road is another thing.

I have to wonder if there will be a checking of files in periodic updates as well would go on. So this fix may have to be periodically applied as well, so keep that in mind.
I guess if Pantone was trying to find a client base that would be most receptive to getting bent over a barrel on a monthly basis, they can't do much better than Adobe's customers...

gnubler

Here's a link to the other thread about this a couple weeks back. I think there was another solution posted.

WildWestDesigns

I guess if Pantone was trying to find a client base that would be most receptive to getting bent over a barrel on a monthly basis, they can't do much better than Adobe's customers...
I have to agree. Even though there was some that complained, they still forked over the money and in the end that is really all that matters.

That was the start of the slippery slope that lead to this. I do find it ironic that when that happened and you had companies still talking about how they had a perpetual license and either now getting away from that or in the process of starting to get away from that. I think by and large, a lot of software companies are going to go with that model.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
SlikGRFX said:
We run Onyx and it still recognises the Pantone spot colours even if the colours are not displayed correctly in Illustrator.
The Pantone Connect interface is clunky as hell. I hope they improve the functionality and sizing, then it will probably be worth paying for.

$15 per month, or $180 per year, just for digital versions of Pantone color books is a rip-off. These digital spot color libraries are pretty much worthless without a physical Pantone Color Formula Guide swatch book on hand. Those cost upwards of $200 on their own -just for two swatch books of spot colors, coated and uncoated. And those are supposed to be replaced after about a year. Now Pantone is expecting people who were buying those swatch books to effectively pay double, $200 for the printed swatch books and another nearly $200 for some digital swatches. That's ridiculous.

We have RasterLink Pro driving one of our printers and Onyx controlling two HP latex printers. I'm nervous about what Pantone's shakedown of Adobe could mean to all the other software companies who include Pantone color books. That's everyone from the affordable end, such as Affinity Designer, up to the high end -like those expensive large format RIP applications.

I complained about this a lot at Adobe's user forums. Pantone's move here just seems so unbelievably stupid. The digital swatch books included within the graphics applications literally function as a form of advertising for the physical color books. Pantone isn't the only company making spot color systems. Trumatch and others are often included. I would not be surprised if Pantone saw a significant drop in overall product sales. Not everyone needs to use Pantone spot colors as a color reference standard. Lots of people only create graphics for electronic screens; Pantone isn't needed for any of that. Even with printing there has been a large amount of de-professionalization within the graphics industry. So many people don't care about the differences between RGB and CMYK, much less care to bother with some fancy spot colors. If Pantone wants to put the digital versions of their swatch books behind a pay wall a lot of users in the graphics industry will shrug and just set everything in RGB instead.

WildWestDesigns

If Pantone wants to put the digital versions of their swatch books behind a pay wall a lot of users in the graphics industry will shrug and just set everything in RGB instead.
Always have Freetone. That seems to be having some head wind since this kurfuffle.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I hope the guy doesn't get sued. Just recently I watched a little YouTube feature about Stuart Semple's Pinkest Pink powered paint -the pink is beyond the limits of what any video format or computer monitor can display. It also had a bit of coverage for Semple's BLK 3.0 paint, which claims to be the blackest paint money can buy.

WildWestDesigns

I hope the guy doesn't get sued. Just recently I watched a little YouTube feature about Stuart Semple's Pinkest Pink powered paint -the pink is beyond the limits of what any video format or computer monitor can display. It also had a bit of coverage for Semple's BLK 3.0 paint, which claims to be the blackest paint money can buy.
I dunno. Sometimes it's a testing of the boundary of things. So it might happen just on those lines alone.

Ultimately (in my opinion), the best thing to have is a more open standard (I think while this is freely available, it isn't open (people conflate the two, but like in this case, not always the way that it is). But that type of adoption within an industry is more akin to a generation cultural shift. Which we are seeing in some areas, but in this one, the latest attempt has stalled, so I just don't know if that will take hold anytime soon. But something like this incident could reinvigorate it. With the way licensing is going with these older standards, the is going to be less control in the user's hands (which is one shift that we are seeing as well).

This is one of those things that always concerned me, things that people got used to, just to be plucked out without much notice at all and with the rolling release model of software nowadays, this is just an example of that. But I'm digressing, so I'll stop here.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
This tightening of the screws on computer users is happening in a seriously bad economic environment. Diesel prices have been falling but prices at the grocery store are still rising regardless of it. Credit card debt is setting new records. Housing costs, broadly speaking, are insane. This is not a sustainable situation.

Right now our company has a good back-log of work. But with the way consumers are getting financially @$$-raped I worry business activity could come to a screeching stop. 70% of America's economy is driven by consumer spending. If too many consumers are flat broke and maxed out on their credit cards then there won't be much spending. That equals businesses not buying any signs. Advertising is one of the first things that gets cut in a recession.

Pantone really picked a bad time to try to get people to pay $180 per year for something they were previously getting sort of for free. The printed physical swatch books still cost a lot. Digital color chips are advertising for those physical color books. Now Pantone wants us to pay for the advertising of those color books. The stunt is not going over well. Lots of people are weighing what subscription services to turn off and do without (Netflix, OnStar, that rarely used gym membership, etc); the last thing most of us need is yet another subscription.

It's just as baffling how these tech companies have a lack of self-awareness. A bunch of these companies have been laying off employees left and right. But they're still going to raise prices or charge money for something that didn't cost anything previously?

CanuckSigns

This tightening of the screws on computer users is happening in a seriously bad economic environment. Diesel prices have been falling but prices at the grocery store are still rising regardless of it. Credit card debt is setting new records. Housing costs, broadly speaking, are insane. This is not a sustainable situation.

Right now our company has a good back-log of work. But with the way consumers are getting financially @$$-raped I worry business activity could come to a screeching stop. 70% of America's economy is driven by consumer spending. If too many consumers are flat broke and maxed out on their credit cards then there won't be much spending. That equals businesses not buying any signs. Advertising is one of the first things that gets cut in a recession.

Pantone really picked a bad time to try to get people to pay $180 per year for something they were previously getting sort of for free. The printed physical swatch books still cost a lot. Digital color chips are advertising for those physical color books. Now Pantone wants us to pay for the advertising of those color books. The stunt is not going over well. Lots of people are weighing what subscription services to turn off and do without (Netflix, OnStar, that rarely used gym membership, etc); the last thing most of us need is yet another subscription.

It's just as baffling how these tech companies have a lack of self-awareness. A bunch of these companies have been laying off employees left and right. But they're still going to raise prices or charge money for something that didn't cost anything previously?
I wonder if Adobe is going to come out with a similar system to Pantone, they have the market share of graphic designers and production shops, if they came out with their own spot colour library and sold printed swatch books for it, it would likely put Pantone out of business at this point. They could call it the Adobe Swatch System, or ASS for short.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Adobe could try developing its own spot and process color standards. But there would be potential pitfalls in doing so. Adobe is far from the only company making graphics/publishing software. Adobe would probably run into a lot of challenges trying to get competitors to support a spot/process color system from them. It would be nice if there was an "open" spot/process color standard. Unfortunately those physical swatch books cost money to produce; someone has to manufacture, distribute and sell them.

Pantone was able to make its inroads into so many graphics applications because the Pantone Matching System was first developed in the early 1960's, long before any graphics software existed. Pantone became an industry standard while graphics production was still being done with analog tools. Pantone never seriously tried competing directly against Adobe, Aldus and other vendors when the "desktop publishing" boom first took off in the late 1980's.

Adobe could try to buy Pantone. But the Pantone company is currently owned by X-Rite, and the X-Rite company is owned by Danaher Corporation (whoever the hell that is).

With newspapers and other forms of print publishing in such a state of decline I doubt if Adobe would even want to bother. Going forward, if I receive some artwork that specifies a new Pantone color I don't have and I need to print it I'll probably just use a CMYK, RGB or L*a*b equivalent. Most new brand guides I see for logos usually include CMYK and RGB values in addition to Pantone.

I missed this from earlier:

WildWestDesigns said:
Wasn't that already the claim that even with the newer versions, that the Adobe palettes haven't been updated since what 2010

That claim from Pantone was 100% horse-s#1t. I've seen the spot color palettes updated from time to time in Adobe's software throughout the 2010's. The "plus series" of Pantone spot colors was added during that time. The last Pantone+ spot color palettes included with Illustrator covers all of those as well as many of the newer additions. Some of these additions were done ahead of updates Corel did with the palettes included in CorelDRAW. If Pantone wanted to say Adobe hadn't updated those palettes in a couple or so years I might have been able to believe that. The 2010 claim is laughable.

And, by the way, what the hell is Pantone doing letting other vendors create the palettes in the first place? Shouldn't they be doing that? Again, those little digital color chips are a form of advertising to sell the physical swatch book products. It would seem like it would be in Pantone's best interest to develop the color palettes for Adobe applications, Corel, Onyx, etc and keep the digital swatches updated rather than running the risk of others getting details wrong.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Don't forget that also getting this from the OS end as there are artificial hardware requirements for the latest version. That's going to have people get rid of perfectly good computers in order to get things to easily work (I think that there are still work arounds, but who knows how long that's going to last), even computers that may support the hardware, but didn't come with the hardware already installed.

I'm also waiting until subscription based OSs ( Windows already does this for Enterprise and Education versions) are the mainstay.
It's really a no win situation. They also have to adjust to bad times as things aren't easy for them either. However, again, implementation is what will kill a good idea (I'm not saying that this was a good idea, just that implementation can kill even a good idea).

I never really had to deal with this, I did get some Pantone color swatches, but since there was really only one thread company (at the time) that supported Pantone at all, so I didn't always have to match them.