• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another cartoon project.

JoshLoring

After many revisions and tweeks... Bucknell University has a new mascot. The Flying Bison.
From pencil to vector. Here are some shots. I originally had made him super buff and defined, but this is where the customer was happy.

Attachments

• FlyingBison-Awthentik.jpg
    FlyingBison-Awthentik.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 66

ddarlak

Go Bills!
his left thigh looks a little on the thin side, could use just a bit more bulk. either that or the perspective is off, can't tell, but something just seems a bit off...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks pretty good..........

However, his left leg looks a little out of... well out of joint or just outa whack. You need to work on the anatomy there a little, not to mention his hands/paws are far larger than his feet. With those feet, he might topple over.

Also, why do you have his eyebrows on top of the mask ??

JoshLoring

Thanks guys.

He was meant to be standing one leg on an object which isn't in the picture. Hence the perspective.

Eyebrows... One of those client/designer battles... I lost

I think the biggest problem is your light source. It's all over the place with no apparent rhyme or reason. It's a prime reason why your leg looks funny. One leg is lit from one direction and the other leg from a completely different direction. It creates a weird shadow in the groin area that's very obvious. The shadow on the chest makes no sense judging by the drop shadow on the cloak. Again, you have two distinctly different light sources. Even the horns are lit from two different directions.

The cloak is very flat and appears to be striped. However, I would assume you were going more for the folded look, in which case you didn't nail it at all. I would have created flowing folds along the bottom of the cloak to create a more interesting 3 dimensional appearance and shaded it accordingly.

As far as his pose goes it needs to be much more dynamic and should include some foreshortening to give it more depth. Perhaps even varying weights of line work would help. In my opinion any line work with the aid of some solid black shading would help because without it it's gonna be real hard to make this a one color cut vinyl or screen print type design. I think a sports icon should be clean, bold, and strikingly simple.

All in all, I really think you did a fair job, but there is a lot of room for improvement. Judging by appearance, I would guess that cartoon illustrations aren't your strong point.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I agree about the leg, if it's supposed to be viewed in perspective, the ratio's will still be similar. remember, the shin's will still be the same, the let has to go somewhere. I've attached a captain morgan logo that accomplishes this easily. follow rules of proportions and if anything, pose it out in a mirror when you sketch. People might think you look funny, but you can fix anatomy issues easily without letting the customer hear about it after you fully sold them the graphics.

and remember, if you can't do the pose, probably drawing the pose that way will look odd to other people too.

also just ran across this http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-il...e-captain-morgan-pose-standing-on-one-leg.php ... good to show how far out a leg goes when propped up ... don't actually need to see the details to see the proportions are going to be similar.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 56