• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone that has repaired the USB port, Could you check this?

Hiks

I've had this cutter connected up through a serial to USB adapter for a few years as the USB didn't work, I wanted to get it directly through the USB so decided to buy a new port and do a repair.

After getting to the port though it seems a previous owner has already attempted it and his solders wasn't great and its possibly shorted the board?

The cutter is still working fine through the adapter but I'm just wondering if it would still be repairable or if I'd be best leaving it alone.

3mLKXms.jpg

netsol

hiks,
that certainly is sloppy soldering, but, typically a usb problem is not the port itself.
it is normally the ic (a semiconductor) that fails, from a static discharge.

usb connectors do go bad, but i wouldn't bet on this one

someone who does electronic repairs, (tv repair, vcr repair, stereo repair) can do this for you snd clean that board up

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've done alot of board level repair and that photo isn't alarming. The burn marks look bad but sometimes that happens. All that solder can be removed and redone but it if it still doesnt work netsol is right about IC... and believe me, replacing an IC is MUCH harder then that lil ol port. 9 times out of ten if you consider replacing an IC see if you can just buy a new board.

Hiks

Interesting, thanks for the replies.

I'll take it to TV repair place as suggested and see if he can do anything with it.

I doubt I'd be able to replace the board as it's an old FC5100 series, it's a workhorse though and I do want to keep it around.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Interesting, thanks for the replies.

I'll take it to TV repair place as suggested and see if he can do anything with it.

I doubt I'd be able to replace the board as it's an old FC5100 series, it's a workhorse though and I do want to keep it around.

Good idea.

I worked at a computer repair shop that also repaired TVs... and I got 90% of my board-level repair experience on the TV side of things.