• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Anyone tried wrapping a kayak?

Spencer Yonce

I am going to be wrapping a 170” kayak and a canoe and I wanted to know if any of you have done one of these before and what techniques did you apply for this specific platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I am going to be wrapping a 170” kayak and a canoe and I wanted to know if any of you have done one of these before and what techniques did you apply for this specific platform?

Just the top of it? I wouldn't wrap the bottom...likely to be destroyed. If just the top it shouldn't be too hard...I'd do it in sections. Wrap over openings and trim out.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

I might have been the first one to ever to do this app about 7 years ago. I used a low surface energy vinyl and added sheets of 5 mil polycarb on the bottom (Very scratch resistant) It was a PITA but it looked really cool. It ends up costing a bit of money and that market is typically not rolling in cash. (Or else they would buy a boat) Like EA said, doing the top only is a much better idea. Good luck!!

Spencer Yonce

I might have been the first one to ever to do this app about 7 years ago. I used a low surface energy vinyl and added sheets of 5 mil polycarb on the bottom (Very scratch resistant) It was a PITA but it looked really cool. It ends up costing a bit of money and that market is typically not rolling in cash. (Or else they would buy a boat) Like EA said, doing the top only is a much better idea. Good luck!!

Thank you! So the canoe I’m doing is too wide for the material I have 54” (IJ180 mc-10, 8518 laminate) so I’m going to have to panel it. Any ideas on how to seam or panel it so that it is easier to apply? How would you do the pointy parts at the ends of the kayak?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Thank you! So the canoe I’m doing is too wide for the material I have 54” (IJ180 mc-10, 8518 laminate) so I’m going to have to panel it. Any ideas on how to seam or panel it so that it is easier to apply? How would you do the pointy parts at the ends of the kayak?

How long is it? I took 54" material to do one bottom section and one top section and it was seemed right down the sides.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Be sure to use LSE vinyl - Avery & 3M have their flagship vinyls available for low-surface-energy plastics. Good for motorbikes & ATVs as the plastics can be a little tough to stick to.