• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are we really in a recession???

SD&F

It was slow a couple of weeks ago and I was almost convinced the doom and gloom individuals were going to get to me. In the last two weeks I have bid on a $58000.00 and I am currently working on one for $132,000.00. I hope I get them both and then I can say that I will continue to believe that the economy is coming back. Keep fingers crossed...I need them.

Jillbeans

I actually live in Mars and you all know how dead my economy is here.
I do hope you get that big job, Bob!
Love....Jill

SignManiac

Thank you Jill, But.... A project of that magnitude will carry with it some of the biggest stress and headaches of my entire lifetime combined. You know what they say? Be careful what you wish for :)

SD&F

I appreciate your thoughts.....I have thought both of these thu and hopefully provided for the unxpected. I hope the unexpected does not come thru so I can keep it profitable. I would truly like to keep my business a for profit business.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Thank you Jill, But.... A project of that magnitude will carry with it some of the biggest stress and headaches of my entire lifetime combined. You know what they say? Be careful what you wish for :)

The first big job I designed scared the ca-ca out of me, my dad sat me down and said how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time... Okay, I was still scared but in the end he was right, you just take each task one at a time and boom, done.

The largest job I put out to bid was around 6 million bucks in signage. The second largest was 4 million, I got to drive to one of the bidders to see the process. It took them a few weeks... they didn't get the job but there was stress on getting it right. We ended up breaking down the package into smaller ones and came in under budget on both projects.

I average 100k jobs littered with the small wall signs and monuments... a few years ago there were lots of retail, that went away and some of it will not come back for a very long time, then it switched to apartment signage, so far that has kept me alive and doing very well. But I miss the retail and large shopping center work.

anotherdog

If so I'd hate to see what good times are like. Yesterday we received a genuine call asking us to bid on a $50,000.000 dollar project. I can't go into any details but we are frantically looking at the logistics. I love a challenge, especially when you can throw money at problems. Just a half hour ago another call came in looking for a quote worth $100,000. I know better than to get my hopes up but it sure does make things exciting around here.

On top of that, I am slammed with more work than I have ever had going on at one time. I know some others here are feeling growing pains too. So it could be a stellar year for some of us here.

Hoping it picks up for everyone else too. What a strange economy!

Wow, we just got an order for 50 banners from a reverend in Chad!

I think I'll run out and buy me some overhead at the credit store.

SignManiac

LOL...not a Nigerian banner scam here. This is at the government level on a nationwide scale, and very niche specific is all I can say at this time. And the sign portion is an extremely small part of it. I have other skills that aren't all about signs...

I'm less and less a sign guy these days and more of a problem solver :)

Tony Teveris

"I'm less and less a sign guy these days and more of a problem solver :) ", so is the job for OB, you know "NO MO BO". That would give me some stress. I can say in Connecticut it sucks.

letterman7

Where are you guys seeing $50M? I see $50,000.00 in the opening post. Either way, a good thing to have! Things have been relatively weird here - much busier than I thought I would be for the time of year... better than two months ago!

mikefine

My answer to your question -- industry and the the economy are doing better due to a comparably mild winter, particularly on the East coast. Gas and oil aren't in demand, as much. People are outside, feeling better, spending money, etc.

I think the sign industry is one that would certainly benefit from warmer winter temperatures. We installed a couple nice jobs this February that we couldn't have done in recent previous years. (By the way, it was another 50 degree day in Baltimore. I will take that in February anytime.)

As a side note, I thought it was interesting to learn that the American car industry sales are doing better this year. Part of the reason, it's believed, is because of the current decline in the Japanese market due to the radiation scares, etc.

Glad to hear your business is doing well...