• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Auto updaters beware.

Techman

All those who recommend or believe in allowing your OS software to auto update...
Looks like another vote against that recommendation.

Microsoft pulls Patch Tuesday kernel update - MS14-045 can cause Blue Screen of Death..

the instance happens when.. some OpenType (OTF) files, installed in non-standard font directories, as many of us use in our travels...

Do not allow auto updating. Turn off auto update. Other wise you could find yourself with a tedious rebooting and cleaning.

Smart users do not allow auto update.

Below is a quote from the lamest advice of all...

We regularly urge you to "patch early, patch often," so let's hope Microsoft's patch for the broken patch goes smoothly, lest even those who weren't affected this time get cold feet next month.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If we all turn off auto update who will test these updates for us?

The rest of the public who lets their systems auto-update..... Set your system to check for updates and to notify you. I just wait for a week after new updates come out before we install them. This gives you plenty of time to determine if there is some big issue with them because if there is you will find people posting and freaking out that the latest updates broke/crashed/whatever their system.

visual800

Hell just turn updates off you dont need them. im running windows 7 and it has had 0 updates going on 3 years now. No issues at all updates suck

DravidDavid

Hell just turn updates off you dont need them. im running windows 7 and it has had 0 updates going on 3 years now. No issues at all updates suck

+1

I have a hardware firewall and antivirus/anti-malware. Updates suck. You are more at risk when it comes to exploits and various attacks from different malware, but I've never had an issue since Windows 7 was released.

A good antivirus and firewall if you are really worried, as well as regular scanning for malware spyware, adware...etc will keep your machine pretty safe. Backup information you need all day every day on a daily basis and don't visit dodgy websites.

No need for updates if you stick to it.