• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Imitation Gold vinyl?

Signed Out

The outdoor durability ratings for all (oracal, avery, vinylefx) of the imitation gold vinyl is pretty short. They seem to range from 1-3 years. We have used the vinylefx engine turn vinyl a few times before with good results but those were always cleared over. How long will this stuff really last outdoors, with no other protection? I'm doing a sign for a resturant now that will hang outside which has a gold border and lettering. I'd like to do it with vinyl but these short outdoor durability ratings are concerning to me. Is there a better gold vinyl material (brushed or mirror) out there with longer outdoor ratings? I do have some gold ronan aqual leaf paint left too... but would rather make the sign with vinyl if I can get some longevity out of it. Any suggestions?

Jillbeans

I'd make a paint mask with Oracal 810 and use the Ronan Aqua Leaf.
It's less expensive for you but will last longer than any imitation gold vinyl, other than SignGold. They do sell striping and if you get the $99 starter kit it's enough to letter a small to medium sized sign.
I priced out the gold Oraleaf stuff a few months ago and it's way more money than it used to be.
Love....Jill

Signed Out

La Serre.jpg

Here is the design for the sign. I think we will end up painting in the gold. The sign will be 60"x48" 1/2" lusterboard. Would I be best off rolling on the gold paint to the white substrate, then apply black and green vinyl on top?

JR's

It's not imitation gold but I think your best bet would be 22 carat real gold sign vinyl.
828-447-0200
billcrowley@realgoldinc.com
the stuff is beautiful. And if it's going on a restaurant I think the restaurant will benefit in the long run.

The other stuff that you're talking about is a bad choice. We have some restaurants around here that all you see is the outline and shadow the letter is completely blank. It looks stupid.

I try to tell these places but they must think you're lying to them.

MikePro

sooooo like, I have a buncha police cruisers that want gold shields on their car. no one wants to vouch for any gold-effect vinyl out there?

I ordered samples of the Sign Gold 22 kt and 23.5 kt, as well as the Real Gold engine turn vinyl. I cut the same "S" out of each one and also some imitation gold leaf vinyl and put them side by side on a sign so I could compare. The 23.5 kt Sign Gold is really nice, and can be applied to the reverse side of a window. But it it's pricey. I really think the Real Gold brand is the closest match to hand gilded gold leaf, and the price is the same as the 22 kt Sign Gold. If anyone is interested I can put up a picture of the little sign I made so you can compare the different options.

jfiscus

Rap Master
sooooo like, I have a buncha police cruisers that want gold shields on their car. no one wants to vouch for any gold-effect vinyl out there?
We encapsulate the vinyl with laminate. (1/8" extra laminate all the way around the vinyl) We do that all the time on fire trucks without issue. We use Leo's Gold, Sign Gold, materials from FirehouseDecals.com and have had no problems. Some of the golds DO turn greenish-gold after time in the sun.

Most police cars we do with gold in the theme are done with (printed) gold reflective vinyl.

Jillbeans

Doesn't Lustreboard come in a dark green color?
I'd opt for the SignGold, use the Florentine to hide the piecing.
Engine Turned has a certain grain and if you piece that, the difference will show.
I had good luck with the Oraleaf stuff but it costs as much as SignGold.
I personally would just gild it.
Lay down your mask, (cut a small contour around everything but don't weed that part) apply your size, weed the contour so your size doesn't get a "lip" wait until it's the right tack, then the gold, remove the mask, then paint the black outline.
Nothing looks like real gold and for the effect you want versus the maybe not-so-long lastingness of the cheaper stuff...
Can you change the font to something nicer or is their logo set in stone?

Here are some pictures of the different vinyl gold leaf options. If you need close ups of any of them I have pictures of that too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 119

visual800

No restaurant is going to pay for real gold. Get some imitation and have it cleared over. I got mine from fellers back in 03. It was stiff material and is still looking good to this day under clear

BLSB1

I ordered samples of the Sign Gold 22 kt and 23.5 kt, as well as the Real Gold engine turn vinyl. I cut the same "S" out of each one and also some imitation gold leaf vinyl and put them side by side on a sign so I could compare. The 23.5 kt Sign Gold is really nice, and can be applied to the reverse side of a window. But it it's pricey. I really think the Real Gold brand is the closest match to hand gilded gold leaf, and the price is the same as the 22 kt Sign Gold. If anyone is interested I can put up a picture of the little sign I made so you can compare the different options.

Yes, If you could post some pictures to compare the two that would be nice. I am bidding on a job and the reason that the ambulance company is taking bids is because the vinyl film(s) that the current sign maker has used has problems and he or she has tried at least three different kinds from what I saw when I went to survey the units. The gold coated or smooth gold that they tried turned black practically, The Florentine that they tried is cracking after three years. whoever they used even went as far as to create what looks to be custom laser cut acrylic pieces that are in the same shape of the letters that are overlain on the letters which are are now snapping in half during cleaning/ scrubbing. (thats why they called me out) They are also having the same issue with chrome vinyl that is coming up only after about three years that is on the units as well. Even though the acrylic pieces on the letters intimidated the crap out of me. I am thinking that maybe either the Real gold or the sign gold could be the ticket. I wont need to print on the vinyl. However, did you happen to leave them both outside for further testing? Did you happen to laminate the vinyl or did you just put it on without? I know its only been a few months since you started the test but any updates that you could give would great.

Thanks

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would use an Edge printer to do the Chrome with the metallic foils and do the same for the gold metallic foil on a police car. For firetrucks/ambulances I would recommend using Leo's gold products. Either way, you need to laminate/encapsulate them with a quality laminate. I use 3M 8519 lam. I've done QUITE a few municipal vehicles and never had problems this way.