• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Malware, Spyware, and Antivirus Software???

choucove

I've worked with a couple businesses and people that have had Live OneCare, and it has caused a few problems especially with software. The way that Microsoft designed OneCare seems like they made it overwrite the built-in Windows functionality in some cases and add to with another identical set of functions in other cases. We had a hell of a time installing Peachtree Accounting just because of the firewall with OneCare and just trying to get it opened up for Peachtree. Windows didn't want to let you open ports directly through OneCare, and changing ports in the Windows Firewall didn't do anything as they were still blocked by OneCare.

If you have it set up and don't make any changes as they ever hardly did, then it shouldn't be a problem, but when you do need to make a change it can be a real headache depending upon what things you have to do with OneCare. We eventually had to just disable it to get the person's Peachtree to function.

While it's far from the unanimous word, a lot of people prefer not to use Microsoft products for security, for several various reasons. It's just like Windows Defender...it's not that great of an anti-malware program! To get protection you need to go out beyond what Microsoft offers to the likes of Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, Sophos anti-virus, or the likes.