• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big Boy Moving In...

grafixemporium

Big boys are moving in about 800 yards down the road to be exact. Alpha Graphics is building a rather large location. Makes me a little nervous. I mean, more than half our revenue stream is currently in wraps... which they don't do. But the rest of our revenue is banners, business cards, brochures, decals, trade show displays, etc.

Anyone familiar with this company? How's their quality? We obtain and retain business mostly because of our top quality designs and prints. We're not known for being the cheapest guy on the block. I'd like to think we'll be able to retain most of our type of customers... the ones looking for quality.

jscarl

Customers are going there to look it over. But if you have done as you say you have, they will be back.

thesignguy1986

Heck you'll be fine. With those bigger companies come the bigger prices and the slower turnaround because there so busy aparantly all the time. You will be fine but off topic I loved the new sign you had on your building.

Mosh

Price, customer service, and speed get the work! Also having a great show-room. We kill all the home shops cause people can come in and see signs and lettering samples in the flesh. Seeing stuff sells more than anything else. Having another shop that close is going to come down to who has the best first impession, I guarantee that.

pointjockey

carry on, I would not worry too much. The truth is in the pudding. I can name a handful of locations around me that have closed. Make sure your pudding tastes better.

ProWraps

andrew, man up. what you provide, might as well be x to their y.

i have yet to meet someone with as much talent as you with as much drive as you.

apples to oranges my friend. you have nothing to worry about.

love you brother. call me when you get a free minute.

GypsyGraphics

Had some friends who owned an AlphaGraphics. As far a quality, not much better than a Kinko's. After several years, they dropped the AlphaGraphics name, because the franchise fees where so steep, it kept them from being able competitive. Although, after the severing ties with the franchise, they prices didn't come down and their quality didn't improve either.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, I doubt you'll lose much business to them.

vid

Anyone familiar with this company?
yes
How's their quality?
yes - depends on what type of equipment they will be getting in and the focus of their business.
We obtain and retain business mostly because of our top quality designs and prints. We're not known for being the cheapest guy on the block.
yes - they can do that too.
I'd like to think we'll be able to retain most of our type of customers... the ones looking for quality.
yes - they can do that too.

Figure out why they're moving in and what they want to sell. Someone did some research to pick that location - with help from the corporate office.

Their core business is printing and copies - and more high quality color copies than printing nowadays. I would look first for schools and government buildings nearby. Then large companies that would need vast amounts of copies in a hurry.

Mail services is another area of expertise with variable data printing. Again, look at 10-15 mile radius for large to medium size businesses that would benefit from that.

As it's a franchise, the mentality is to get the volume and do it with a fast turn - to make the franchise payment.

An aggressive Alphagraphics is going to have outside sales and a delivery van(s) -you can wrap that for them- ...but that means the print buyer isn't likely to be driving by your shop to pick-up an order to benefit you.

The small shop owner is going to go there because of convenience and the known brand. It's feasible that the customer could get business cards, brochures, and tradeshow graphics (banners/bannerstands/display presentation boards) inside of 24 hours - at a reasonable quality.

Unlike a "Kinko's," Alphagraphics allows for a regional approach on how to define it's marketing and product mix base on the sucess of other stores in the network. Why do they want to be near you? Sounds like you've got a good location.

As with any business, it's going to depend on the quality of the staff and management of the facility that dictates what type of threat it will be to your business.

In no way am I saying the sky is falling, but it seems to me that it'd be some work to figure out your niche to successfully compete and prosper with your new neighbor --- maybe partner even with them. But it does raise the bar.

If I were a shop owner, I'd be thinking about calling Jon Aston for some consultation.

copythat

Dont Fret!

Unless your in the serious volume of printing. You will not be hurt. But you can take advantage while they are marketing in your area. Expressing how long you have been in town and what a great area we have to draw such a franchise in to our area. Reverse psychology! Worked X-cellently for me.

PM me I'll explain

Sig Up!

grafixemporium

vid, when I first posted this thread I was sort of "on tilt" as I had just seen their sign go up. I assumed they were a corporate owned deal... later found out it's a franchise and deal mostly in makin' copies. I'll make a point to meet the franchise owner as soon as possible and figure out how we might be able to benefit each other if at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I find out I've already met him... meaning I'm sure he's already scoped us out.

chris, I'm good now... man'ed up and ready for any pissing match that comes my way :)

Jon Aston

I recently read "Collaborate to improve the market, compete to improve your services", or something to that effect. Seems like appropriate advice in this case, depending on the owner at Alpha Graphics.

Good luck!

And a hearty "Hey! Thanks for the plug!" to Vid. Appreciated!