• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blue reflective Chevron tape for hazmat trailer?

JERHEMI

Just got a call from a potential customer looking for blue reflective chevron striping for their hazmat trailer. They are going to install themselves. I've never quoted for such a thing yet, so not sure if the blue is available, strips are available, or where to get it from. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Chevron stripes.png
    Chevron stripes.png
    501.4 KB · Views: 216

jfiscus

Rap Master
They are looking for Reflexite or 3M Diamond Grade 6" striping rolls.
I personally prefer the reflexite for ease of application and it is actually a bit more reflective than the 3M.
Any of your regular dealers who carry Oracal should carry Reflexite, and any who carry 3m should carry the diamondgrade striping.

They will also need the white striping tape which is also available in either manufacturer to conform to NFPA apparatus standards and protect themselves from insurance problems.

klmiller611

Seems like all sorts of blue reflective, with 3M Scotchlite being the big brand, is available. That is a layout job that seems less than fun. We use some red reflective on our trucks.

Best
Ken Miller

JERHEMI

Is that diamondplate cut around every little diamond?

That's just an example pic they pulled from the internet. Grimco don't have 6" strips of blue and Fellers don't have 6" of blue. What other suppliers do you recommend having 6" of blue?

rjssigns

Could always get a roll and slit it yourself. Or see if your supplier will slit it for you. May be cheaper that way.

JERHEMI

My next question...seems 3M has several reflective models. What model is for fleet graphics that is going to last for years and is like a controltac that is easy to install for the customer?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If they are going over diamond plate then you definitely want Reflexite V98. Its the only one that will conform over it nicely and it meets NFPA and ASTM standards. The stuff is great and extremely conformable. We order it through N Glantz. Its also reasonably easy to install.

Easiest to install would probably be 3M 680 although reflective, it would not be nearly reflective as the Reflexite or any other diamond grade material.

http://www.orafol.com/tl_files/cont...heets/americas/en/reflexite/sellsheet-V98.pdf

http://www.orafol.com/gp/americas/e...ms/reflexite-v98-conformable-graphic-sheeting

jfiscus

Rap Master
To conform to NFPA standards the standard engineer (highway) grade of reflective is NOT enough. You will need either Reflexite striping or Diamond grade. Diamond grade is pretty hard to install as everything has to be pre-cut with a super sharp blade and you go through a LOT of blades. Although, I would not recommend a customer (Let alone an installer) cutting on the vehicle.

You can buy DiamonDiamonds in various sizes from DiamonDiamonds.com - call Jay there and he will send you a sizing chart out. They come in strips with a clear mask like pinstriping and are not that hard to install, but do take a while. he can also sell you the 6" striping if none of your other suppliers carry it.

letterman7

I personally prefer the reflexite for ease of application and it is actually a bit more reflective than the 3M.

Interesting thread. I looked into the Reflexite for the ease of application and wasn't impressed with the quality (vs the 3M diamond grade). I even had to do a little 'test chart' for myself to see what the differences were between the two brands, and personally, I don't see the Reflexite being anywhere near as reflective as the DG.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Photo taken in a dark room, hence the camera flash couldn't focus on the panel. The shot was a straight on shot, so the reflective angles are all the same.

Attachments

• reflect1.jpg
    reflect1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 145
  • reflect3.jpg
    reflect3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 152