• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BOTW and popups about Infected computer - Fake AV Software

Graphics2u

Anyone else experienced this? I just went to BOTW from a link in another thread and as soon as the page loaded I get a popup that was titled "A Message From The Webpage" Said it appeared my computer was infected and wanted to run a scan (Which I didn't obviously). But Then I couldn't close the box on the task bar and I didn't want to risk clicking anywhere on the box itself, and I finally got it closed with Task Manager.

I've had 3 Different computers hit with a Fake Anti Virus Malware in the last month. Why aren't the Anti Virus Programs detecting these before they run? I have norton on one of the machines and MSE on the other Two. I thought that was the purpose of Real-Time Protection?

Jim Doggett

You can do a system restore to an earlier date; that'll get rid of it.

Sometimes these things can also block the system restore feature. If so, restart in Safe Mode and then do a restore.

It's a pain but only takes about 5 minutes to fix.

Good luck,

Jim

tanneji

Thanks for the input! Maybe someone in the 95% percent of the world running PC's can help! :smile:

Hahah hilarious. But yeah my girlfriend just got one of those and it took forever to get it off of her computer. She has AVG and it didn't catch it. I use the Microsoft Security Essentials and have not had any issues like that. I have been really impressed with it. I used to get them all of the time and as of late I can't recall getting any of them. Really the only defense though is being knowledgeable and doing what you did. Those things are made to affect people with little to no working PC knowledge. Jerks. I hate people that spend their time doing that mess to other people. They should be shot.

Graphics2u

Sometimes these things can also block the system restore feature. If so, restart in Safe Mode and then do a restore.

It's a pain but only takes about 5 minutes to fix.

Good luck,

Jim
Thanks Jim, That's how I fixed the problem I had on my laptop yesterday. Another one required me to do a manual restore by replacing all the registry files with older files, that was a real pain. The virus I had on my work computer really messed up things, had to do a complete restore of the whole computer.

Very irritating!

veloxgraphics

Those driveby download sites are ANNOYING. If you dont know the ins and outs of your registry, find help. Otherwise, load up "hijack this" and remove all suspect entries in the list. Then load up "malware bytes" and let it do it's thing. Works 99% of the time for me at my consulting job. (company of 5500 computers)

Graphics2u

Hahah hilarious. But yeah my girlfriend just got one of those and it took forever to get it off of her computer. She has AVG and it didn't catch it. I use the Microsoft Security Essentials and have not had any issues like that. I have been really impressed with it. I used to get them all of the time and as of late I can't recall getting any of them. Really the only defense though is being knowledgeable and doing what you did. Those things are made to affect people with little to no working PC knowledge. Jerks. I hate people that spend their time doing that mess to other people. They should be shot.

Yeah, my parents or in-laws would be toast. I try to tell my wife and kids to never click on anything that just pops up out of no where! That don't always work though. The bad one that required a total restore of my system just started overnight. Computer worked great on Monday came in Tuesday and all kinds of popups and fake scans going on it. Finally got it shut off did a virus scan that found several things and removed them. But the next time I restarted my computer it would not boot up in any mode!

Techman

Is the last thing to do. These maggot wares unlock the system restore, infect it then re-lock it. Makes it look like all is well.

Use the proper cleaner and all will be well.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Those driveby download sites are ANNOYING. If you dont know the ins and outs of your registry, find help. Otherwise, load up "hijack this" and remove all suspect entries in the list. Then load up "malware bytes" and let it do it's thing.

plus 1. system restore is the last possible solution i would ever use...

Jim Doggett

Is the last thing to do. These maggot wares unlock the system restore, infect it then re-lock it. Makes it look like all is well.

Maybe I've been getting lucky. (less clever mal-ware) I scan regularly and am, apparently, clean.

But good advice. Which is the best cleaner, in your opinion? Double and triple checking is a good idea.

Thanks,

Jim

GoodPeopleFlags

I went to BOTW a couple of hours ago and I got the same popup. Didn't click it. Does that mean someone has hijacked the BOTW site?