• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buy and/or sell "used" fonts?

SqueeGee

I'm doing some work that requires Clearview, which is pretty spendy. I was wondering what happens if I buy the font and if this particular job dries up, could I sell it? On the flip side, if someone else has the font and doesn't need it anymore, could I buy it from them?

Please understand that I'm not suggesting doing anything illegal or underhanded. I'm just trying to understand the rules/laws regarding fonts.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm doing some work that requires Clearview, which is pretty spendy. I was wondering what happens if I buy the font and if this particular job dries up, could I sell it? On the flip side, if someone else has the font and doesn't need it anymore, could I buy it from them?

Please understand that I'm not suggesting doing anything illegal or underhanded. I'm just trying to understand the rules/laws regarding fonts.

The rules are pretty much that the license for a commercial font is not transferable. Selling or trading would be a violation of the license.

CentralSigns

It's not really spendee considering what can be made with it. I don't consider $45 considerably high for the rights to use it commercially, on anything. Just buy it when you get the job, dude. Its a requirement for may gov hwys agencies, for now anyways. Definitely a real easy to read font, according to the design specs outlined by various hwy organizations in gov, that are sold on it. It was designed to be the easiest to read for use on reflective hwy signs.

Dave Drane

I am just about done with Helvetica medium. Can I have some offers and I will sell it to the highest bidder.. and I also have a spare copy so I can sell that one too. Get in early and I'll see how many copies I have to sell.

Vinylman

Cheap fonts

Dave;
Why would I want to bid on your USED helvetica? When for only a few dollars less I can get the font that phototec has offered?

After all, free is ALWAYS better than paying right?

And if I have to pay for a font, why I might actually have to raise my prices and charge what a sign is worth rather than being a bottom feeder like the majority of the desktop publishers turned "sign experts".

Here are a couple of screen shots of the Knock off font called "Clearview".

It is shown by phototec as a FREE font. Is it any wonder we have HACKS in this business??

With crap like this available to the desktop publishers who "think" they are in the sign business, we have no where to go but to China for the really good jobs.

It is only a matter of time.

:thankyou:

OH< BTW:

I would like to thank phototec for the contribution you have made to the professionalism of the sign industry with your adding the link to the "free" font info..:U Rock:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 49

Malkin

It's not really spendee considering what can be made with it. I don't consider $45 considerably high for the rights to use it commercially, on anything.

I'm sure if it was only $45, he wouldn't have bothered posting the question.

I show it as $175 for 1 weight, up to $795 for the package of 13 weights.

Our state has not adopted it, though I wish they would.

rfulford

Anyone want to buy Papyrus ?

Do I here 2¢ ?

Going once . . . Going twice . . .

Back around '94 a coworker of mine bought papyrus from image club for about $180 dollars or so. It was so unique at the time and the client for the particular job loved it. Its funny how ubiquitous it is today and how despised it is by designers for its over use.

SqueeGee

I'm sure if it was only $45, he wouldn't have bothered posting the question.

I show it as $175 for 1 weight, up to $795 for the package of 13 weights.

Our state has not adopted it, though I wish they would.

Yeah, if I could buy a legit version for $45, then this would be a moot point. After I posted, I found and read the EULA. Here's what it says about transferring the license:

Except as may be otherwise expressly provided for herein, you expressly agree not to rent, lease, sublicense, give, lend, or further distribute the Font Software. You may transfer all your rights under this Agreement another person or entity provided that (i) the transferee accepts and agrees to be bound by all the terms and conditions of this Agreement, and (ii) you destroy all copies of the Font Software, including all copies stored in the memory of a hardware device.

My understanding is that you could buy or sell it. Finding someone to buy it from is another question all together but at least I know that I have the option of selling it should that be necessary. That makes me feel a little better about paying $800 for it.

CentralSigns

Whoa dude. I went to buy it 2 months ago but the guy changed his mind. It's really went up in price, New York's influence on price