• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera or Onyx RIP?

jasonx

Running Onyx 11 here. The improvements have been tremendous and it's made it a lot more even with Caldera. I know people on here are comparing Caldera with Onyx and I think that comparison should now come against both latest versions.

We also use a Prepare-it front end to prepare all our flatbed work. Its all automated. Drop into hotfolders -> output into onyx hotfolders -> print -> barcode scan -> cut. Too easy.

particleman

If I were starting fresh I would absolutely try Caldera first.
Used Onyx since V6 on many different machines, this sums up my thoughts on it: :banghead:

sorry, tired of typing the same things over and over, read some of my old posts about it. Once your shop becomes "invested" in a rip as far as training employees, learning software, and profiling it becomes much more difficult and costly to switch rips. So choose carefully.

tomence

So i called Ernst, he helped me install Linux Debian and Caldera, founded the ethernet ports but printer is still not connected. Waiting for his call back to help connect the printer, actually it is connected but does not show up in caldera. I guess IP address needs to be configured.

Does anyone knows how to configure the printer and caldera IP address. Printer is connected to ethernet hub/switch and then directly to pc.

tomence

Up and running. Thanks to Earns for calling me back. Now i have caldera and onyx loaded on two different computers and will try to play as much as possible to see which will be better for me.

I just have to learn how to navigate thru Caldera i guess there is gonna be a little learning curve.

nicubila

Sigh... If you bothered to read my posts in their entirety you would see the core of my point being I haven't used Caldera and haven't had a need since Onyx does everything I need it to do and then some...

No one ever said or implied you need to know me. I simply stated do not come on here and say your setup is better without knowing that info. I don't believe you ever did that so i'm not sure where you're going with this? FFS people, get educated beyond your envelope before bashing another's operation. For the gazillionth time, NO I don't use Caldera and don't have a need since Onyx has done all I need it to do. Use what works best for you without putting down the guy next to you. Their will always be better things upon the horizon, try not to napalm any bridges until then....

PS - The Broncos suck. That is all.... :X
Funny to read old threads filled with so much frustration and any lack of common sense or self reflection.
Hopefully 10 years down the road made cmykpro a bit more sensitive :)