• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera vs. ONYX Thrive 211

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
It always seems we get the same response from the Onyx fanboys but they rarely can answers any question

This actually annoys me a little. What is the "same response"?
That onyx is actually quite quick?
That onyx has the most renowned media manager to create pretty much a better profile than every other RIP?
Because all of that is true.
I have looked at caldera before. It just does not keep up what onyx can do in the colour management section. That's a huge selling point for me where colour does matter in my prints. Especially on all the fine art prints we do on glass.

us "fan boys" have actually worked out how to get the most out of onyx. Onyx does what any other RIP can do. I hardly even open job editor/pre flight. I usually open, RIP and send to printer. What can be more simple than that?
I choose my quick set i need. I.e Glass B&W+ when i open the file. The onyx knows to choose my glass profile, change the settings for black and white prints. the + indicates the size is over 2500mm so it'll rotate the image to fit on the bed. Then it'll reverse the image to print on the reverse side of the glass.

I have made custom quick sets for jobs that need bleeds only on 2 sides of the print and to all face a specific way. and i'll then process all 30 images and get printing.

dypinc

What annoys me and where the term fanboys comes in is when some one complains about or asked about Onyx the response usually seems to be that your offend instead of explaining in detail the settings or solutions.

I have regularly used probably a dozen RIPs over the years outputting to film, plates, proofs, digital press, wide format inkjets of all kinds and ran trials and beta tested at least a dozen more so I am somewhat familiar with most of them and real familiar with a few of them. Yes I tested Onyx more than once and in comparison to others I personally wouldn't want to use it.

As for Caldera for those wishing to avoid Windows OS which I can really understand it is a great alternative, but like every RIP that has ever existed you can find things you like and things you won't. Best to do is get trials and I think they all have them and see what suits you best. In the end if it outputs the way you want and has the features you need then that will probably be the best RIP for but without trying different RIPs you will never know.

Christian @ 2CT Media

What annoys me and where the term fanboys comes in is when some one complains about or asked about Onyx the response usually seems to be that your offend instead of explaining in detail the settings or solutions.

I have regularly used probably a dozen RIPs over the years outputting to film, plates, proofs, digital press, wide format inkjets of all kinds and ran trials and beta tested at least a dozen more so I am somewhat familiar with most of them and real familiar with a few of them. Yes I tested Onyx more than once and in comparison to others I personally wouldn't want to use it.

As for Caldera for those wishing to avoid Windows OS which I can really understand it is a great alternative, but like every RIP that has ever existed you can find things you like and things you won't. Best to do is get trials and I think they all have them and see what suits you best. In the end if it outputs the way you want and has the features you need then that will probably be the best RIP for but without trying different RIPs you will never know.

It sounds like your tests were not good tests... did you set up onyx or have a experienced professional? if you did it did you read all the FAQs of proper setup and organization?

I can tell you we have used Onyx since 7 and after setting it up properly with a well built computer it makes a huge difference.

dypinc

It sounds like your tests were not good tests... did you set up onyx or have a experienced professional? if you did it did you read all the FAQs of proper setup and organization?

I can tell you we have used Onyx since 7 and after setting it up properly with a well built computer it makes a huge difference.

Sounds like you really haven't tried other RIPs.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Sounds like you really haven't tried other RIPs.

I've seen caldera 10 in action. It did not phase me one bit to move on from onyx.
Been from x10 now 12.1.

Onyx works perfect for me. theres nothing i "wish" it did. or to do something any better than it does.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Does Wasatch, ColorRIP, Flexi, Caldera, and EFI Firey count? Those are the many rips I have worked with since 2004.

Caldera is a very powerful rip, it is far from perfect though. You are shooting down Onyx without properly implementing it.

Correct Color

Another thing when we tested Onyx Thrive and caused us to rejected it was it slowness. It seemed to always have to go back and re-read and re-rip the original file every time a change was made.

Actually, that was probably a bug. It existed for a version or two and only affected tiffs, and only some machines as I recall, but it was there.

But Onyx does of course cache it its work folder, which is in the main Onyx directory wherever it is installed. It's as good a place as any. After all, if it's a cached file, it has to be cached somewhere.

As an Onyx and Caldera dealer, I think I can say that both of them are fine RIP's, and both of them will do the job. They are different user experiences though, and some much prefer the look and feel of one to the other.

And as far as speed goes, I'd rate them as pretty equal. Speed differences I see between them are mainly a function of horsepower of the machine using them.

Bly

Opening large files on a network can be slow depending on your network hardware - do you have gigabit cards installed, are the cables high speed etc.
I will echo pauly's comments on Onyx ease of use.
Open the file in job editor if it needs scaling or cropping, then press print. Can't see how that is difficult.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Opening large files on a network can be slow depending on your network hardware - do you have gigabit cards installed, are the cables high speed etc.
I will echo pauly's comments on Onyx ease of use.
Open the file in job editor if it needs scaling or cropping, then press print. Can't see how that is difficult.

It seems a lot of Caldera users complain about onyx but never say what is actually wrong with it?? i have read complaints on many forums, mostly "i don't like how onyx works" or it's "to hard to use"
What is to hard to use?? what doesn't work well?? to this day i don't know

This is not me being a dick, i am 100% serious.