• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

can I install my new omega 5.0 on two computers and just transfer dongle

busterboyd

As the title says. Before I attempt it, does it work. Want to load it on my laptop so I can take work home with me by taking the dongle off my main cpu for the night.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Yes, it will work but you might want to keep the dongle plugged into a hub and transfer both the hub and the dongle each time to prevent wearing out (or damaging) the dongle.

Also, you will want to insure the dongle because if you lose it, you're tough out of luck otherwise.

JB

GB2

Old Member
How do you go about insuring a dongle? Do you just call you insurance company and get a specific rider on your policy, as if it were a diamond ring or something similar?

In the past, the Gerber dongles were very touchy about removing them, I used to be sure that all computers were completely shut down before removing or inserting one. These days with the newer dongles I think they are more hot-swappable and not so touchy....but I'm just speculating about that.

WildWestDesigns

Yes, it will work but you might want to keep the dongle plugged into a hub and transfer both the hub and the dongle each time to prevent wearing out (or damaging) the dongle.

Also, you will want to insure the dongle because if you lose it, you're tough out of luck otherwise.

JB

I don't know about Omega dongles, but with dongles in general, I would be more worried about it being damaged (or lost) in transit then I would about the wear and tear of removing it from the port.

However, having said that, I do insure mine (and it covers all types of damages, not just lost).

How do you go about insuring a dongle? Do you just call you insurance company and get a specific rider on your policy, as if it were a diamond ring or something similar?

With my provider, it's within the parameters of a business type of insurance, not the same type if it was a personal item such as a ring or other jewelry. That might be different among carriers though.

Just make sure that they know what it is you are insuring. Not everyone knows what a dongle is.

In the past, the Gerber dongles were very touchy about removing them, I used to be sure that all computers were completely shut down before removing or inserting one. These days with the newer dongles I think they are more hot-swappable and not so touchy....but I'm just speculating about that.

I've never known a dongle not to be hot swappable, but then again I'm really only used to digitizing software. I'm sure that is different among software companies and how they have everything programmed. I do, however, wait until the program is closed out, but not so much rather the VM is shut down or not.