• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caught ya.........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You thought I was gonna ask what's this font.......... Fooled ya.

I know that before computers and even electricity, there was just people around the globe and to communicate, they drew pictures to let Carly know she's gonna cook up the brontosaurus Cleb just speared. So, when it became obvious not all people could draw, I guess they had to figure out a way to communicate, thus writing was born. So, if writing has been taking place around the world for millions of centuries or whatever you believe..... why is it even up til the time I was in school we still made a cursive capital 'Q' that looked like a 2 and not like Q ?? When did it all change ?? Or maybe, why did it change ?? Why weren't other letters affected ?? Who remembers making them the old way ?? Which way to you prefer..... if any ??

So, boys & girls, instead of guessing what's this font, let's put some typography to work.

:thankyou: Gino

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Better question would be......who cares?

What a 2ueer thread.
:rolleyes:

That's Okay jester, I wouldn't think you could participate in an adult conversation. Let it alone or ya might pull a muscle in your head..... trying to play with the others.

Thanks for trying, though. :doh:

SignosaurusRex

Definitely an interesting question.
Might be best answered by the likes of Morris Fuller Benton, Ed Benguiat, Alejandro Paul, or John Downer. Unfortunately Mr. Benton is no longer with us, However, Ed Benguiat, Ale Paul and John (Man of Letters) Downer are still with us.
I believe the "Q" that you are referring to dates back to the 17th century French and Spanish quill calligraphy style. Most recognizable in type face / font standards such as Linoscript (Typo Upright) and Commercial Script, both designed by Morris Fuller Benton in 1905 and 1906, as well as Edwardian Script by ed Benguiat to name a few. You might notice that the peculiar "Q" you are referring to is not widely utilized in most script fonts designed today.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Googled "why Q looks like 2" and got this as the first result http://blurtblog.net/2013/06/07/why-does-upper-case-cursive-q-look-like-a-2/

The wording in this article is eerily similar to your original post Gino. The two paragraphs after "Drawing Out Their Points"...

The article even references the word 2ueer like Skyhigh used...

Yep, I know, because this question bothered me a little, so I googled it about a week ago. Nothing eerie about it. I liked how they brought the idea together in a funny way, better than my original thoughts, so I borrowed it. I'm still wanting to know why it is basically the only letter that's changed and sounds like so many other letters, but somewhat very common in other languages.

The old guttural sound of the 'Q' sounds more middle East, Hebrewish and such than our romantic languages, so it isn't a natural letter to us, but yet, we have it. So, since we use it and it's been written like a 2 for centuries on end, why has it's looks changed in the last few decades ?? Why aren't other letters being changed ?? Don't they count or are they too important to change ??

It's nothing more than a discussion or debate. Not a riddle. sky's use of it in his context is just what I'd expect. Not at all connected.

skyhigh

Yep, I know, because this question bothered me a little, so I googled it about a week ago. Nothing eerie about it. I liked how they brought the idea together in a funny way, better than my original thoughts, so I borrowed it.

That's called plagiarism you piece of crap. Did you hope that everyone would think you were so smart to come up with that story all by yourself?

In this industry, you would expect that you would know better.

Call me a jester if you like (of course you stole that also)..... but your a joke.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's called plagiarism you piece of crap. Did you hope that everyone would think you were so smart to come up with that story all by yourself?

In this industry, you would expect that you would know better.

Call me a jester if you like (of course you stole that also)..... but your a joke.

There ya go again..... 1/2 cocked.

This is a question I've asked many people over the years, but you're too slow to even think of these questions. Right ?? Who cares and whatnot ??

For your benifit sky, I wasn't hoping or thinking anything of the sort. I just thought those words were funnier than my original wording. There is nothing plagiarized in the least here. A question is a question is a question.

Jester was not my word either, but it was brought to my attention recently that it is your title, as you came up in a discussion with many people.

Oh please... please.... please... please.... stop harassing me you big bully brute. :clapping:

You just wanna get another thread locked down, don't you ?? :noway:

skyhigh

Gino, you've been bullying me for the last year. I've been nothing but nice to you, but it hasn't phased you one bit. Every post I make, you like to slam me. Time to give back a little.

If your going to steal articles and let everyone here think its your own, then you need to be banned again.

Like the title of your thread (the only original part), I guess Desiree "CAUGHT YA....."

Don't be pissed at me cause you got caught...... You knew what you were doing was wrong!!!!

I just thought those words were funnier than my original wording.

SERIOUSLY, YOU DON'T SEE ANYTHING WRONG HERE????
And if you find artwork better than your own??? Ok to steal that also?

Craig Sjoquist

I just got some popcorn added butter & a bit of salt ...munch munch

I guess the Q got changed by advertisers & us crazy sign painters giving a customer something they can understand easier.

& just for the record thought it was kinda funny the question came up using a 2 for a Q instead of O with a tail
in school writing it out I used the 2 at 1st but later changed later myself to the O with a tail & then stopped using cursive to just print because I could print faster than cursive & alot more readable, which teachers liked.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's what I was getting at. Back in the 50's and 60's we learned a printed Q was the O with a tail, but the script was like a number 2 So, when did it change, since it's been this way for 100's and 1,000's of years ?? When I was in school, or at least where I attended, all of our work had to be in script and it had to be legible or you got marked down for penmanship. Print was not accepted until college level, except math classes.