• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CET issues all over again - what do I do - am I crazy? Horrible print quality?

nate

That's correct. Most models supported by a RIP come with some sort of canned profiles. Caldera had a set for our Latex 3000, our LX850, our Latex 360, our Evo33DS, our CET, our FB700 and ourL26500. Check with Onyx.

ONYX makes media profiles for CET printers!? They didn't provide them for our previous flatbed (that also used ONYX). I wouldn't think they'd make profiles for any specific machine. That isn't their job. They'd have to own a version of every machine on the market for testing. I figured that getting the CET would be like our experience with the Gerber CAT-UV. In that case, the service technician installed ONYX and then pulled out a DVD provided by Gerber and imported all of the various media profiles for the flatbed into ONYX. Before he did that, ONYX was bare bones ...generic. CET leaves it bare bones ...generic and tells customers "make your own".

The CET site says "pre-set media settings" (note plural in settings). Ok, where are they? Where is the one for coro? We have jus one and it is for vinyl.

attachment.php

davecich

I will call and help you tomorrow. lack

Tom,

i just read your post. There are many things in it that concern me. I will call and help tomorrow.

We have 6 g7 profiles with each machine.

Since the ink lays on top of most of the substrates, they are not media specific except for white. I do highly recommend that you do buy an I-one, as all profiles need to be linearized to the environment every 90 days.

A media setting is not a profile. I am sorry they were confused. They are different.

Onyx does not not build profiles for us, Steve marsico at digital color concepts builds profiles for both of us.

As for the attitude and lack of concern by my technician that most disturbs me. I will pull your file first thing.

I do not have a gavriel that works for me.

Cet Color became # 1 in the USA in uv machine placements by taking care of our customers. We will never stop doing the right thing for our "family members"

My cell is 404-915-7524.

Goodnight Tom, speak to you in the AM.

Dave Cich

jkline

Did you chose a CET?

I am going to be watching this thread because we are looking into a new flatbed, and CET is one of the top printers on my list.

It looks to me like a profile issue. Is there any way you can print with color management off?

Hi there, we too are looking for a flatbed printer. We were kinda decided on the CET Q5 or the OCE 460GT. We had shop visit demos of both and were very happy with them. But lately doing more research I have been seeing some horror stories on the CET and so far none with the OCE. I know some thigns can be isolated incidents but I have seen some of the same complsints with the CET, mostly the durability of construction and electrical issues. I would love it if you had any feedback on your research and if you did make a purchase on a flatbed yet? Thanks much.

ChrisN

Hi there, we too are looking for a flatbed printer. We were kinda decided on the CET Q5 or the OCE 460GT. We had shop visit demos of both and were very happy with them. But lately doing more research I have been seeing some horror stories on the CET and so far none with the OCE. I know some thigns can be isolated incidents but I have seen some of the same complsints with the CET, mostly the durability of construction and electrical issues. I would love it if you had any feedback on your research and if you did make a purchase on a flatbed yet? Thanks much.

One of the main requirements for us was to be able to print 5x10 sheets. Unfortunately for Oce, that would mean stepping up to the double-sized XT, which is more $$$ and space. We also didn't like that there were no registration pins on the Arizonas.

On the CET side, we liked the upgradeability - you can start out with 2 heads (4 color channels) and add heads up to 10 total (20 channels). Construction durability? From what I've seen, those things are solid metal and built like tanks. The main con with the CETs is that there is no roll-to-roll option. They seem to have great service, and they offer free phone support (warranty or not) and free tech training! No one else beats that!

We have not gotten a flatbed yet, but I'm pretty sure what we'll end up with. I doubt between either printer you would be extremely disappointed. Good luck in your search!

davecich

Follow up

Joined,

i thank you for your post.

All printer manufactures have issues occasionally. Today I had a customer in buying his second unit after having issues with an HP 700.

Last week, we helped an oce customer resell his 660xt after only having issues for the first year.

I am very proud of our printers. I believe our print quality and support are what has allowed us to place more UV printers currently in the US than any other company.
One of the things I am most proud of is our very first 8'customers have all come back and bought a second, third, forth, or even 5th printer from us.

Please se fell free to call at any time.

Dave

player

Ha! The OP's printer is bankrupting him, and the vendor is trying to sell another one on the "My printer is defective" thread...

nate

I'm going to tell you something-- we're a complaining people. When we're not satisfied with something we take to forums like this and tell the world how bad things are. But when we have a great experience we keep it to ourselves. Odd, huh?

I've got a CET Q5. I've got a HP FB700. I'm looking to purchase another CET in the next few months. Why? Because I like it. Has it been perfect? No-- but when there is an issue it gets resolved and we move on. Are any of the machines I own perfect? I would like them to be, but they're not.

So you come on these forums and try to find information-- it's a good idea but often the opinions are skewed. So the best thing to do, I think, is to visit your reseller or the manufacturer, take a good chunk of files that you are familiar with and spend some time printing.

I bought the FB700 first. It's been a good machine but my Q5 is better-- better print quality, better media handling, simpler to use, and costs less to run. I'm looking to get a second CET because we're happy with the first one. I'm happy with my HP machines as well-- We were one of the original users of the HP LX800. We liked it so much that we went to the launch party in Barcelona for the Latex 3000 and purchased that unit as well. At one point we had 12 or so of the L25500 units here as well-- again a solid machine. I guess the point I am trying to make is that we are happy with these manufacturers, and as such continue to purchase within the family.

If anyone has questions between the CET and the FB700 feel free to PM me as I am terrible looking at these forums in a timely manner.

Oh-- and one more thing--- I've met Dave Cich several times. In fact I was in Atlanta eating steak with him Tuesday night. He's a great guy with a great company. He's been in the print world for a ling time-- first in a career at Oce and then doing CET. He knows his stuff. Give him chance to talk with you and show you what he can do. (and no I'm not saying this to get more free dinners).

nate

One of the main requirements for us was to be able to print 5x10 sheets. Unfortunately for Oce, that would mean stepping up to the double-sized XT, which is more $$$ and space. We also didn't like that there were no registration pins on the Arizonas.

On the CET side, we liked the upgradeability - you can start out with 2 heads (4 color channels) and add heads up to 10 total (20 channels). Construction durability? From what I've seen, those things are solid metal and built like tanks. The main con with the CETs is that there is no roll-to-roll option. They seem to have great service, and they offer free phone support (warranty or not) and free tech training! No one else beats that!

You do know they make hybrids? Both a roll to roll as well as flat?

http://cetcolor.com/q5series1000h

Thanks
Nate

Tom Dalton

I'd followup by saying that CET does have very good support. Heck, they flew three different techs out to tweak our machine. In the end, it still has the exact same issue as when we started. It has gloss banding. So, if you request a sample from CET before buying, ask them to print an 18"x18" square filled with 80% black or navy blue. Ask for a solid fill and no fades or patterns or anything. Ask for it to be printed at the number of passes you're hoping to print at. So, if you're in love with the speed that they show for 4-Pass printing, then get the sample that I described printed in 4-Pass and see if you like it.

The standard sample they send us was NOT very informative for sign businesses and we didn't realize it at the time. It has little images that aren't much bigger than baseball cards and a bunch of spectrums of color and little color squares. It has no big solid fill areas (bigger than 2"x2"). I could print their sample piece at the lowest settings and it would be acceptable quality. So, printing posters filled with photographs is forgiving. I can't print the types of images that are typical to the sign industry without sacrificing speed because we find we must do everything (with big areas of dark 100% fill) at a minimum of 8 pass.

So, their techs are responsive, but don't have the tools available to solve our main issue. the biggest service their techs provided was a lesson in expectations with CET machines. I'm not sure this issue is unique to CET. Now, after this lesson, I'd ask for the same type of sample regardless of who I'd get a flatbed UV printer from.

-Tom

davecich

I'd followup by saying that CET does have very good support. Heck, they flew three different techs out to tweak our machine. In the end, it still has the exact same issue as when we started. It has gloss banding. So, if you request a sample from CET before buying, ask them to print an 18"x18" square filled with 80% black or navy blue. Ask for a solid fill and no fades or patterns or anything. Ask for it to be printed at the number of passes you're hoping to print at. So, if you're in love with the speed that they show for 4-Pass printing, then get the sample that I described printed in 4-Pass and see if you like it.

The standard sample they send us was NOT very informative for sign businesses and we didn't realize it at the time. It has little images that aren't much bigger than baseball cards and a bunch of spectrums of color and little color squares. It has no big solid fill areas (bigger than 2"x2"). I could print their sample piece at the lowest settings and it would be acceptable quality. So, printing posters filled with photographs is forgiving. I can't print the types of images that are typical to the sign industry without sacrificing speed because we find we must do everything (with big areas of dark 100% fill) at a minimum of 8 pass.

So, their techs are responsive, but don't have the tools available to solve our main issue. the biggest service their techs provided was a lesson in expectations with CET machines. I'm not sure this issue is unique to CET. Now, after this lesson, I'd ask for the same type of sample regardless of who I'd get a flatbed UV printer from.

-Tom

Tom, What DPI are you ripping at? What Screen are you using? How many passes?