• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Check out my portfolio.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
When I'm not making signs, I'm usually making logos/graphics. I love branding and just wanted to get some feedback on my portfolio, everything on the site has been in the last few months or so.

www.zacgoings.com/portfolio

I know I need to make my site responsive, I just haven't had time to update it lately.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
I'm definitely not an illustrator, I just tend to have ideas and try to get them out and rely on some design magic in the process. Sketching never seems to give me any clear visions.

Thanks for checking it out JHill

Ghost Prophet

I like that you're keeping track of what elements you worked on. I also really like the KRE8R logo. You've definitely got some skill, and you'll just get better over time, if you want to. :)

SignProPlus-Chip

Well, you shouldn't be an illustrator, you should be a graphic designer, there is a marked difference.

There is also no "magic" in design. You have to know what you are doing, make good choices and execute them appropriately. Knowledge and application of said knowledge in a skillful manner.

Have you have any kind of formal training or instruction? Do you follow any sites or blogs to keep up with current design trends?

You have potential, but as JHill said, the designs are a bit simple in nature, very plain, some are weak and have little presence, some don't pass the "squint test".

Keep working at it and don't be afraid to go back and take a second pass at something you have already done, it's a good way to learn. Soak up as much info as possible, graphic design blogs can keep you up to date with trends, if you enter the world of tumblr there are plenty of blogs for designers there too. Google the best and worst logos, fonts, designs of 2015 etc... and brush up different styles of graphic design too

http://gizmodo.com/get-to-know-63-styles-of-graphic-design-with-one-simple-1570004361
http://www.davidairey.com/top-50-graphic-design-blogs/
http://www.creativebloq.com/inspiration/best-tumblr-blogs-for-designers-1233429
http://www.reddit.com/r/graphic_design/comments/1x70yu/graphic_design_for_beginners/

I'm definitely not an illustrator, I just tend to have ideas and try to get them out and rely on some design magic in the process. Sketching never seems to give me any clear visions.

Thanks for checking it out JHill

Zac

Mediocre Designer
Thanks for the pointers Chip.

I don't have any formal training just messed around with Adobe for a few years off and on and doing personal projects and friends stuff. Every now and then I'll get to design something for the shop.

I'll definitely look into those sites. I've read 2 David Airey books and follow his logo blogs.

Marlene

Thanks for the pointers Chip.

I don't have any formal training just messed around with Adobe for a few years off and on and doing personal projects and friends stuff. Every now and then I'll get to design something for the shop.

I'll definitely look into those sites. I've read 2 David Airey books and follow his logo blogs.

at the very least, take a night shcool course at your local community college in design as it will give you the bones needed to design. being creative is a big part of it but there are the basics that any designer needs to know. so glad SignProPlus-chip brought up the difference between a designer and an illustrator as most on the site think you have to draw to design and you don't, that's the job of an illustrator. get teh basics down so your designs have good bones and then the rest is all creativity.

Craig Sjoquist

Well I saw one that was copied same name, same icon, same font, just different business.

A few others looked like came straight from Vista print < some look ok if ya don't mind falling asleep.

Guess not bad for learning from high school & yourself

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What kind of job are you trying to get?

Even if self taught, you have been at this for 7 years. Where have you looked to be inspired? Do you know the design process? Any designers inspire you?

I think you need some training... lynda.com has great information on design. If you have money, maybe an actual design school? You don't have to do it all in one whack but I think you need to get some education.

You might want to invest in a few books.

Your portfolio is not impressive. You really need to wow your potential client/employer. I didn't see anything that stood out that much... maybe ARrides and KR8R but the format of your website is too "templatey" looking to give any indication that you can incorporate branding in a cohesive manner.

I saw your resume... your current employer is impressive. Have you designed any wayfinding/interior signage projects? How about exterior signage. Anything portfolio worthy?

Zac

Mediocre Designer
Hey Rick, a couple things have changed since I last updated the site, that is actually my previous employer but I just started in the same position at another shop about a week ago. We are more vinyl/wrap focused and it's a lot less stressful than the deadline oriented contractor/ADA world. We still do some interior stuff and design them, but the manufacturing is outsourced. :thumb:

Also, I'm just 25, and the last few years I wasn't so much focused with bettering my skills, but now I'm settled down and married and things are starting to take shape on what I can really focus on and make better. Forums have always made me more productive and I'm just happy to be around other creatives to figure out what path I want to take. Always good to have a reality check.

Thanks for the honest tips, I really wanted to try and become a graphic designer and barely missed an opportunity to get with a bank but it worked out for the best. Signage is my true passion and I definitely need more practice on the graphic design side, but luckily most of the signs I design are enough to wow most customers. I can't decide if I want to stick with the graphic design or try to get into more web development.

I'm not sure how I feel about taking school classes, most of the education around here is pretty watered down being in Arkansas. It's rather sad.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
Well I saw one that was copied same name, same icon, same font, just different business.

A few others looked like came straight from Vista print < some look ok if ya don't mind falling asleep.

Guess not bad for learning from high school & yourself

Well which one? I do tend to try to get ideas from other designers but I've never knowingly ripped anything off.

Rick

Hey Rick, a couple things have changed since I last updated the site, that is actually my previous employer but I just started in the same position at another shop about a week ago. We are more vinyl/wrap focused and it's a lot less stressful than the deadline oriented contractor/ADA world. We still do some interior stuff and design them, but the manufacturing is outsourced. :thumb:

Thanks for the honest tips, I really wanted to try and become a graphic designer and barely missed an opportunity to get with a bank but it worked out for the best. Signage is my true passion and I definitely need more practice on the graphic design side, but luckily most of the signs I design are enough to wow most customers. I can't decide if I want to stick with the graphic design or try to get into more web development.

I'm not sure how I feel about taking school classes, most of the education around here is pretty watered down being in Arkansas. It's rather sad.

What kind of customers? Good paying ones I hope... not the $200-500 logo clients, I mean the 1500-2000k customers.

I think it would be good to figure out what you want to do, then readjust your portfolio and site to that.
You can make good money on designing code related signage... though it can be mind-numbingly boring.
We mostly design ada/wayfinding sign design. Some projects have design budgets in the 20-25k range... that's just design (and planning) and we get to do that all over the US, you're not restricted to your local area.
We also each have our own graphic design business' for the fun stuff so one business has the signage focus, our individual sites have a design/identity/branding focus.

I really think the graphic design classes on lynda.com would be a good start and it's really cheap for the month or 2 you are on.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
I haven't got to branch out much. We were trying to get into Division 10 wholesale but never really broke through. I just started at my new shop but the sign part is very profitable off the bat, but new. We are a printing/bindery facility that just now happens to have a sign shop attached. With me having ADA experience I'd like to implement that into our shop, but it's kinda nice not manufacturing 500 beige square signs that all look the same. But it was easy, just a huge investment. Do you sell one-piece signage? I revamped a thermoforming process for actual production, rather than just when the sales guy demo'd it.

Rick

Do you sell one-piece signage?

We don't sell signs, we just design... mostly sign systems/wayfinding/entertainment signage and graphics. We design the package and they go out to bid, or we partner with sign shops where we design and they implement it.

I have done ADA production, mostly raster and a little photopolymer in the 90's. I have not really seen that many thermoformed signs I like, though I dig how they feel/read and that they are one piece.

Anyway I don't know if you have seen this work in a grander scale but you might like:

http://www.huntdesign.com/signage-wayfinding/
http://rsmdesign.com/work/portfolio/
http://www.skadesign.com/ska-signage-wayfinding-project-portfolio-main.html

Marlene

Also, I'm just 25, and the last few years I wasn't so much focused with bettering my skills, but now I'm settled down and married and things are starting to take shape on what I can really focus on and make better. Forums have always made me more productive and I'm just happy to be around other creatives to figure out what path I want to take. Always good to have a reality check.

try an online college as there are some pretty good ones. I know Southern New Hampshire has a huge online but not sure what they offer or how much

moc_os

You misspelled 'coffee' on your site. and that's as objective as I can get :p

other than that, half your work lacks hierarchy. for example the coffee shop logo's elements all read the same but they shouldn't for visual interest. even something as small as changing the -n- in size or another style would help. on some there is a legibility issue like the rhino one. 'personal computer services' is a bit hard to read.

another thing i will mention is the KOKO logo. when doing illustrative letters, don't repeat them, specially when you use them 1 letter apart. i'm talking about the palm trees in the 0's. the repetitiveness cheapens the design. other than that, it looks more appropriate for people treats than for pet treats.

GoodPeopleFlags

I think you have the potential to get much better. You're better than some of the folks I had graphic design classes with in community college a couple of years ago and they have degrees now. Just gotta branch out, "think outside the box" kinda thing. I didn't get much out of the classes (as I'm 45 and been doing this since I was 18) but one thing that I liked was that we had to keep a book that we filled with examples of logos and designs that we liked. It's good for inspiration when starting a new design. But these days I prefer to keep that stuff on a Pinterest board instead of an actual book. But the point is to keep looking at other people's work and learn how to tell the difference between bad, good and great design.