• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CMYK to LAB

petesign

Is there a way to change the default settings in illustrator to display spot colors as LAB instead of CMYK? Having to change it every time I make a new document is a PITA - because if I forget just one time, my colors are off.

petesign

I guess I am going to take that as a no. :toasting:

I'm surprised nobody else has that problem. I know the way illustrator displays colors has been discussed before, but for use in the print industry it makes sense that spot colors would be the same in illustrator and photoshop. When you forget (like have a big project and have to do some of it in illustrator and some in PS) it really sucks when you forget to change illustrator spot colors to LAB and your prints don't match.

John Butto

You mean in your swatches panel is where you change it to LAB. Have you tried, Window / Workspace / save Workspace.

petesign

Exactly, in the swatches panel... so if i save a workspace, does it automatically use that workspace every time I create a new document?

JoeBoomer

I'm late to the party on this one, but for anyone that is reading this now.

In Illustrator go to your Swatches panel and click the dropdown.

Click "Spot Colors"

Choose the setting you want and your good to go.

Baz

Honest questions: Why do you work in a LAB colorspace ... Why not RGB ... What is the difference you see?

I find it easy to work between illustrator and photoshop in Adobe RGB. Especially with pictures.

MikePro

i just never create a "new document".
All my artwork/drawing/setup files are already saved as documents, that I open and then resave under the project name once I've begun inserting artwork for layout/etc.
profiles, swatches, default layers, and all my misc. goodies are there waiting for me to start rockin' n' rollin' towards my first revision requests.

I thought the default was to display spot colors as LaB... or at least mine is.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 6.20.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 6.20.20 PM.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 118