• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Converting colors CMYK

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm trying to match ink colors for shirts. They send me a vector file with CMYK. The colors look weird. I convert it to RGB - they still look weird. She said it's purple and light blue. They look purple and teal. I asked if they had a Pantone color I could quick match to. She has her designer email me a huge email telling me to unlock all the layers and the pantone color will appear. Well, it's still just CMYK and how am I supposed to match the ink up if the screen colors are off?

Is it possible I'm having a mental issue here and way over thinking this?

JBurton

Signtologist
She said it's purple and light blue. They look purple and teal.
Teal is a greenish-blue color. Its name comes from that of a bird—the Eurasian teal (Anas crecca)—which presents a similarly colored stripe on its head. The word is often used colloquially to refer to shades of cyan in general.
Yeah, relax, if the designer won't tell you the pms value, then you have to assume he has the correct cmyk values as he intended, so color rendering is his responsibility at this point. My money is on them not knowing what teal is.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Thanks guys! I think instead of picking out a nice Pantone color from the guide they just start designing in CMYK and assume the print and screen colors are the same. Drives me nuts!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm trying to match ink colors for shirts. They send me a vector file with CMYK. The colors look weird. I convert it to RGB - they still look weird. She said it's purple and light blue. They look purple and teal. I asked if they had a Pantone color I could quick match to. She has her designer email me a huge email telling me to unlock all the layers and the pantone color will appear. Well, it's still just CMYK and how am I supposed to match the ink up if the screen colors are off?

Is it possible I'm having a mental issue here and way over thinking this?
Nope - the lady is making it overcomplicated for you. Lazy customers are the bane of my existence. I've had way too many this week.