• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel draw X7 Vs. X5 learning curve?

ChaseSigns13

I am currently learning Corel with x5 that my business has installed. I am wondering if it would be better to learn on x7 or if the transition to x5 to 7 is minimal and not anything to worry about. I plan to upgrade as time goes by , but just figuring out if the expense if worth it at the moment for the licensing.

OldPaint

let me see...........ill put it this way........PICK ANY VERSION OF COREL DRAW...to learn all its capabilities.......has a learning curve of close to a YEAR!!!!
now..........for all you will ever use of it...........ITS THE SAME FOR ANY VERSION)))))))))))))))take your pick hehehehehehehe

Techman

The basic for corel draw have been the same for decades. Obviously there are additional features added on each iteration. But. Either one x5 or x7 will demand hours of tutorials and study to use just a fraction of corels ability.

In our business we use a few of the same features all the time but many other features at different times. So memorizing them all will take much work. So just get a version and go to work.

heyskull

Well I have been using Corel Draw and Corel Paint since the 1990s and I still haven't got my head around everything.
The beauty is that whatever version you are using the next one has more bells and whistles but is the same!
I guess the same thing has always followed.
I reckon if I learnt everything the offerings from Corel gives me I would need a personal memory upgrade!
It's just not possible to say I know it all.
I have been running Signlab for nearly as long as Corel and even now I am still finding little things in it that I never knew were in the programme.

SC

Jillbeans

I've been using Corel for almost 10 years now. I still learn something every time I use it (usually by mistake) I started with Corel 9 and am up to X5 (I prefer Corel 12 in some cases still) It's like the others said, it's basically the same great program, but with a few more bells and whistles each update.
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

I look at it this way.
How much cash on hand & can I afford to spend for the future on it.
Do I have other software, fonts, hardware of similar cost or goals needed to make that future.
Is everything backed up in cash in case something goes wrong, & the added expense does not destroy what ya have going.

If ya ok then by all means get X7 because in this industry, shops with all the toys, bells, whistles & know how to use them make the money easy.

We upgraded from X5 to X7 just a few months ago. At first I felt a little bit overwhelmed with it, but soon realized that it's not much different than X5. I think within the first couple of days I figured out it's quirks. X7 has various workspace options also, so if you are in a time crunch to learn it, using the classic workspace will no doubt make things easier. I just keep X5 installed along with X7 so if I ever feel the need to open X5 I can, but honestly I only opened it up alongside X7 for maybe the first week or so and haven't really felt the need since.

SignManiac

I upgraded from X5 to X6 strictly to take advantage of my 64bit OS and additional RAM. I looked at the features of X7 and didn't see anything that I couldn't live without. I use a lot of features that I've learned over the years. Once you have a grasp of your main day to day tools, you can build anything fast. Hot keys are big with me. I use them like a second language. Really speeds up the design process.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
We first started with Corel 3 in 1995 and we've always embraced learning and change. So much so that we're now running Omega 5, Illustrator CS5, Corel X6, SignLab 8, Photoshop CS6, and AutoCAD 2014 LT. I don't know everything about each of them, but I do know that each program has its own set of outstanding strengths.

Each title is 100% legit and registered. It may sound like a hiney load of cash to lay out, but we've been fortunate enough over the years to take advantage of Black Friday sales, vendor incentives and other good deals along the way.

JB

Suz

We first started with Corel 3 in 1995 and we've always embraced learning and change. So much so that we're now running Omega 5, Illustrator CS5, Corel X6, SignLab 8, Photoshop CS6, ...............

JB

James,
Just wondering; are you running all those programs on the same computer? Specifically, Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw suites? If so, any issues with both (brands) suites using some of the same files to run? Just wondering as my Corel X3 program is still not functioning properly since having put Adobe CS2 on same computer. Adobe is off now, but still having issues with Corel. In past I've run them on separate computers. Your experience would be helpful Thanks!!!

OldPaint

the programs either of any of them.......ALL RUN AUTONOMOUS of each other. be it corel, illy, sign lab etc.
none of the files from other programs are used when your working in say corel. why you are hving a problem with X3 is got nothing to do with CS2.

Suz

Sorry to hijack thread, didn't mean to. However, I'm also considering purchasing a higher version of CorelDraw, so following this thread.
OldPaint (Thank you for trying to help) I'll answer your question on my own thread:[h=2]CorelDraw X3 Graphics Suite - crashing after loading it on Windows 7 Pro Computer[/h]
the programs either of any of them.......ALL RUN AUTONOMOUS of each other. be it corel, illy, sign lab etc.
none of the files from other programs are used when your working in say corel. why you are hving a problem with X3 is got nothing to do with CS2.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
James,
Just wondering; are you running all those programs on the same computer? Specifically, Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw suites? If so, any issues with both (brands) suites using some of the same files to run? Just wondering as my Corel X3 program is still not functioning properly since having put Adobe CS2 on same computer. Adobe is off now, but still having issues with Corel. In past I've run them on separate computers. Your experience would be helpful Thanks!!!

Yes, I'm running them all on the same computer (Dell Precision 1600 Workstation). Most times, I'll have Illy, AutoCAD, SignLab and Omega all open at the same time with no major issues. I spent a little more money on the computer than I have in the past, but it's been worth it.

I'm running a 3.1GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4GB ram...which is really nothing out of the ordinary.

I was worried there might be a conflict since SignLab and Omega both utilize dongles, but there hasn't been even a hint of problem there. I had confirmed that with Tony from Gerber (here on the forum) before I bought Omega.

Suz

Okay James, Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it! Got my Computer up and running again. Every time we loaded the Adobe CS2 suite (new download and serial numbers) to replace my original purchased CS2, it made Corel crash. Did this several times until we decided we will not load CS2's entire suite. Loading just the Adobe Acrobat 7 didn't cause any problems, so we did load that. Have a great rest of the weekend!

Yes, I'm running them all on the same computer (Dell Precision 1600 Workstation). Most times, I'll have Illy, AutoCAD, SignLab and Omega all open at the same time with no major issues. I spent a little more money on the computer than I have in the past, but it's been worth it.

I'm running a 3.1GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4GB ram...which is really nothing out of the ordinary.

I was worried there might be a conflict since SignLab and Omega both utilize dongles, but there hasn't been even a hint of problem there. I had confirmed that with Tony from Gerber (here on the forum) before I bought Omega.

blufftonsignguy

Wow a lot of replies to this thread. Glad to see so many using Corel. I just updated to x7 from x5. I was lucky enough to go to the MBN show in Charlotte and sat in on a class that talked about corel and some of the differences. That's what made me go for the upgrade. I am in no way close to knowing half of what you can do in corel, but I found some features I liked (i.e. instead of fitting text to a curve, you can click the text tool and click on the curve and start typing). They have a free trial download. Look around for some video's and etc to show you some of the upgrades, then download the trial version and see for your self.

Just my cent and a quarter