• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X4 Print Problem... Very annoying

R08

Anyone else noticed this about CorelX4 or perhaps this is a problem with my system.

When printing large files to my desktop inkjet, at times the program just shuts down completely. No warnings, nothing... just completely shuts down. Once this happens with a file (usually fairly large but not to the extreme) then that file will cause the same thing every time. VERY annoying.

Anyone else noticed this?

ahollow

I have the same problem at times when changing printers or the settings within a printer.

Now I make sure I save everytime before hitting "Print Preview".

When it happens, I use Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Applications, Corel, End Task to get out of the frozen app.

No clue why it happens, but it did happen with Corel 12 also, and on different machines.

R08

Thanks Al,
I found a workaround. Since it always seems to happen with large (dimensionally) signs, I found if I resize the graphic at 10%, then it prints fine.

I guess with large graphics I should be using the scale feature anyways.

later

OldPaint

you ever try takin the file outa corel, putting it in a temp file and then work from there? this way youre using the COMPUTERS RAM, and not corels limited ram. or increase the ram corel uses......
go to TOOLS, OPTIONS, MEMORY and it will tell you waht youre using in corel. i have corel X3 and my RAM AVAILABLE is 1.75 gig and COREL IS USING 25% OR 447 MB. you can up the percentage, BUT WHEN YOURE RUNNING COREL....shut everyting else off.

R08

OP
You may have a point.
I have 2 gigs on this system and 25% available to Corel. I'll try to bump it up and see. It does seem to occur more when there are more effects.

Day... Are you sure about that?

THx for the replies

R08

I'm sure about that SignRite, you can change the percentages and there will be no effect. It's a leftover from previous versions

OK.. tried it anyways and made no difference like you say.

For some reason making the drawing smaller is the only fix for this problem for me so far.

Thx for the responses.

ndemond

Thanks Al,
I found a workaround. Since it always seems to happen with large (dimensionally) signs, I found if I resize the graphic at 10%, then it prints fine.

I guess with large graphics I should be using the scale feature anyways.

later

That is the only fix I found for this problem I save it first at the original size, resize to about 10%, do a print preview then I can move it around on the page to the size I want.

Lost a few designs without saving first before going to print. Thank goodness for the Autoback-up.

Nancy

BoogerB

If there is text, convert it to curves.
Make sure all updates are installed
set memory to 65% or so.
I have mine set at 75% but I have 4gigs on a 64bit Vista.
Check your printer too, sometimes some smaller desktop printers can't handle such a large file or have memory overloads.

Techman

Besides I don't think that's a very practical alternative.

It is if the undo levels exceed your memory.. If you have a graphic that is 30 megs,, and you have 20 undo levels set, 20x30=600. = overload..

Turn off other programs and that makes more room for your graphic work. Or reduce the undo levels down to about 15 or so from the default of 99.

Alphonse43

Hi Rob,
"Old Paint" is on the money, don't run anything else when working in Corel.
Also back the file up all the time while you working on it, this saves Corel's memory useage, and will save you a lot of headaches.
Alphonse43

R08

It is if the undo levels exceed your memory.. If you have a graphic that is 30 megs,, and you have 20 undo levels set, 20x30=600. = overload..

Turn off other programs and that makes more room for your graphic work. Or reduce the undo levels down to about 15 or so from the default of 99.

I doubt Undo levels rack up memory like that. Why wouldn't they just store the undos as the commands and keystrokes etc... like macros do.

I don't run a lot of other programs on this machine and running Corel by itself would be fine if that answered the problem but when the glitch occurs I can shut everything down and go into the program manager and shut every resource that is not being used and the problem persists.

I believe this is a glitch(not resource based) that is related to X4 since I don't remember it ever happening in X3.

My best fix so far is to work with the scale feature in Corel. This is easy and pretty consistent.

Thx