• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coro sign pricing

CanuckSigns

We stopped printing and mounting lawn signs when we calculated fairly that our cost was $30 each, with materials, overhead and labor accounted for.

We can buy high quality double sided UV prints at $12 each and cheap ones at $6. I just got an ad today for a wholesale supplier offering 10 signs for $37.

Buy ten and through eight away and it's still cheaper than producing them in house. You might use cheaper vinyl and cheaper labor and you may have less overhead than we do, but we're not that slow and I don't how you'd ever get that $30 cost down to $4. Sell them for whatever price you can get.

Why do so many sign shops insist on doing it themselves, regardless?

I'm not disagreeing with you that it makes sense to outsource if the quantity is there, but I would love to see how you came up with your $30 each figure! According to my calculations, accounting for vinyl, ink, coroplast, print time and application/cutting time, I'm coming up with less than $5 each in cost. Unless you are running a very large operation, where every member of staff is working on the same job at the same time I fail to see how $30 each is even possible.

Vinyl & Ink $0.30
coroplast - $1.00

print time to print a 4x8 sheet of signs 15min @ $60/hr = $15
time to apply the prints to a 4x8 sheet and cut out 10 minutes = $10
total cost is $40.60 per sheet of 12 =$3.38 each

Now my figures may be a little different than yours, but i doubt your costs are 10x mine

BALLPARK

We used to print, laminate and lay the vinyl on coro blanks. I would lose money doing them as my time was worth more working on more important factors for our company.

We then started to sub them out to a friend that has a flatbed. Got the signs normally within 24 hours with good quality prints. Even paying more for the wholesale coro signs I was saving money in the long run.

By having the extra time to work on our sales media kits and target new clients or simply work on higher end products it saved us money.

We now have a flatbed that can print a sheet with no banding in about 5 or 6 min. We subbed out most of our printing for many years. It helped us grow and stay focused on the bigger picture.

My advice to anyone laying vinyl is to sub out the work. Spend that time enhancing your digital media kits or searching for new clients.

Opportunity cost... Working extra labor to save a dollar in the bank at the time can cost you more than you realize in the long run.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I am a firm believer in keeping as much work in house as possible. Just because it costs you more than you can outsource for you fail to see that you are paying yourself that labor not some one else. This said we outsource a lot ($270,000 last year) and these are either items we don't have the capability to produce in house with our current equipment/labor or it has a deadline we can't meet with our current workflow capabilities.

That said We are currently trying to dump our overstock Coro drop... from one of our continuous client projects we have acquired 400+ sheets of coro sized 29x48, and gain more every month. We have been selling each sheet at $25 for single sided which our clients typically choose (4) 14" x 24" signs so that equates to $6.25/ea sign.

ams

I put vinyl on coroplast because I don't have a flatbed.

For double sided, I do about this:

5: $27/Ea
10: $23/Ea
20: $21/Ea
30: $19/Ea
50: $18.50/Ea (Sub out to flatbed)

Andy D

We used to print, laminate and lay the vinyl on coro blanks. I would lose money doing them as my time was worth more working on more important factors for our company.

We then started to sub them out to a friend that has a flatbed. Got the signs normally within 24 hours with good quality prints. Even paying more for the wholesale coro signs I was saving money in the long run.

By having the extra time to work on our sales media kits and target new clients or simply work on higher end products it saved us money.

We now have a flatbed that can print a sheet with no banding in about 5 or 6 min. We subbed out most of our printing for many years. It helped us grow and stay focused on the bigger picture.

My advice to anyone laying vinyl is to sub out the work. Spend that time enhancing your digital media kits or searching for new clients.

Opportunity cost... Working extra labor to save a dollar in the bank at the time can cost you more than you realize in the long run.

/\/\/\/\/\/\ Very wise advice /\/\/\/\/\/\

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I put vinyl on coroplast because I don't have a flatbed.

For double sided, I do about this:

5: $27/Ea
10: $23/Ea
20: $21/Ea
30: $19/Ea
50: $18.50/Ea (Sub out to flatbed)

Only as a question and not to the poster as to how is this method figured ??

If I were screen printing and hadda make a screen, the production time goes way down the more you do and the upfront numbers are distributed among larger numbers, thus making prices reduce. However, when you are printing, applying and cutting one sign.... isn't it basically the same cost for the second or third or 50th ?? I mean, the amount of vinyl is 1 times however many you're making, the ink is the same idea and while you might get a little faster doing 20 or 30, it can't be anything close to 30% which is what is indicated here. How does this thinking take place ?? Heck, from 5 to 10 pieces you drop 15%. How does anyone figure like this when one costs almost the same as 101 ??

Seriously, if you can do 30 pieces for $19, then you can make money doing 2 or 3 for the same price. This theory seems to be a loser. The more signs you make, the less money you take in.

Vinyldog

There is set up-time for digital printing also. Time to load the roll, test prints, preparing the area for mounting, selecting the background music etc. I keep meticulous track of time since that's how I charge and it's always faster to do more for some reason. Mounting is especially faster when you get into a rhythm. I'm speaking of the Big Squeegee mounting method which I think is what most of us without direct-to sub use.
Plus, it encourages the customer to place fewer larger orders, which I prefer, and they expect it. Digital printing is still operating under the guidelines of off-set and screen printing. That’s why we still use the Pantone color charts.
BTW I think AMS is right on track. Not quite my usual hourly charge, but printed Coro is one of the more competitive markets. Probably the best that can be done.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There is set up-time for digital printing also. Time to load the roll, test prints, preparing the area for mounting, selecting the background music etc. I keep meticulous track of time since that's how I charge and it's always faster to do more for some reason. Mounting is especially faster when you get into a rhythm. I'm speaking of the Big Squeegee mounting method which I think is what most of us without direct-to sub use.
Plus, it encourages the customer to place fewer larger orders, which I prefer, and they expect it. Digital printing is still operating under the guidelines of off-set and screen printing. That’s why we still use the Pantone color charts.
BTW I think AMS is right on track. Not quite my usual hourly charge, but printed Coro is one of the more competitive markets. Probably the best that can be done.

Let's be honest, it's a given, that any method needs some set up, prepping and whatnot, but only on the initial piece. Not on the rest of them. Therefore, you can be as meticulous as you want, your costs are not gonna go down by 30% when all of your costs except maybe applying is gonna go down maybe 10%. If you can put a 18" x 24" down in 30 seconds..... you're not gonna get much faster than 15 seconds, especially if you're as meticulous as you claim. You get faster because it becomes more of an assembly line, instead of a onesie or twosie. You still have all the other money outlay for everything else and the printer will not print any faster on the second one, than on the 50th one. According yo your equipment, you might only be able to go a few, before you hafta sheet cut it and re-set your alignment or any myriad of things which can go wrong after printing 120' into a roll. You can talk a customer into buying anything you want him/her to buy, if you manipulate your numbers. That's also a given.

So, why would you be operating under the same guidelines of something which is so vastly different ?? Again, that is not a very smart thing to do. Base your production and costs on a method you don't have or use ?? If I'm screen printing, I'm using totally different inks, screens, smells, drying time, durability, clean up and re-claiming to name a few. Your way is vinyl, printing and mounting and then my way is print-cut I'm done. There are advantages to doing things the many ways available to us today, but why base your pricing structure on something you don't have any knowledge about ??

I'm not saying we don't get the prices you or ams mentioned, but we can still make a profit and keep the doors open easily and beat the pants off of you and your kind if need be. Most of the time, we don't cater to these kind of customers, because of the number of bottom feeders in our area, but if a good customer needs something, we won't turn it down..... and give them a deal at the same time.

Our aim is not to upset the apple cart in our area, but be honest with yourself and do yourself a favor and price things to keep your doors open, not what the next guy gets. That's what this whole thread is about.

0igo

If you actually had a flatbed, you would see how foolish those statements or thinking really is. Whether it be for 1 or 2 or 50 to 250.

I can have 10pcs 2 sided finished in about 1/2 hour and my printer is slow. There is no vinyl cost, no application cost and no monkey time involved.... let alone the cost of operation is far less than any inkjet.

but do you have a gatorboard?

ams

If I were screen printing and hadda make a screen, the production time goes way down the more you do and the upfront numbers are distributed among larger numbers, thus making prices reduce. However, when you are printing, applying and cutting one sign.... isn't it basically the same cost for the second or third or 50th ?? I mean, the amount of vinyl is 1 times however many you're making, the ink is the same idea and while you might get a little faster doing 20 or 30, it can't be anything close to 30% which is what is indicated here. How does this thinking take place ?? Heck, from 5 to 10 pieces you drop 15%. How does anyone figure like this when one costs almost the same as 101 ??

Seriously, if you can do 30 pieces for $19, then you can make money doing 2 or 3 for the same price. This theory seems to be a loser. The more signs you make, the less money you take in.

If I charged $25 for a single sided coroplast sign, they would give me the middle finger and never return. When you buy in bulk, you get a discount, it's how business works. If someone asks for 5 signs and I say $20 and they say well let's make it 100, and I say $20, they say wtf? Let's just go with 5 since there is no discount, or worse I could lose their business. It doesn't matter if my cost stays the same, you adjust your pricing on quantity. You are saving material with larger runs.

Rebel Graphics

I can make 5-10 vinyl signs and thats it, not really fond of yards signs.... specially when theres a guy downtown screenprinting signs at $1.50 a piece (who is now my sub guy, lol)

Andy D

If I charged $25 for a single sided coroplast sign, they would give me the middle finger and never return. When you buy in bulk, you get a discount, it's how business works. If someone asks for 5 signs and I say $20 and they say well let's make it 100, and I say $20, they say wtf? Let's just go with 5 since there is no discount, or worse I could lose their business. It doesn't matter if my cost stays the same, you adjust your pricing on quantity. You are saving material with larger runs.

Are you talking about a 18" x 24" coro sign? If so, why would you want to keep a customer that want's to buy a single 18" x 24" coro sign?
We sell our coro signs by 4' x 8' sheets, meaning they can buy one 18" x 24" coro sign, but they might as well buy ten because that's what they're paying for...
If we did the design, setup, print and cut of a coro sign for $20 we would be losing a ton of money.

I discount for quantity only to get them into sweet spot for the shop, such as 50-100 18" X 24" of the same print... any less than 50 or more than 100 and I won't budge on the price.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
You are printing and mounting them? That's your problem. If you aren't screening or printing directly on the Coro, you're adding too much cost & time to the project.
If you're doing sets of 10, sub them out. You'll thank me when you click the mouse a few times and a couple days later your signs show up in a box. No mounting, cutting, etc.
Smarter not harder :)

This is partially true...if you are charging enough for print and mount then it's not a problem. No, we can't charge $8 a sign when we do it this way, but we can charge about $20 each and make money. We can knock out print with a 10 up, mount it on a sheet of coro, slice them apart and have them out the door in an hour. Easy money.

T_K

A former employer of mine used a similar method. The basic theory was that you're looking more about total profit for a job you get versus profit per individual piece on a job you lose because you can't compete. It may not be the best method, but we made money.

On the production side, we used 18x24 blanks. We had to cut down all the individual pieces, but once you get going with the blanks, it's fast work - especially if you run them through the laminator.