• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CS2 download?

knucklehead

I'm not a photoshopper. But, I did download the out of date version of CS2, Illy, Elements 5? and some of the others. I haven't installed any yet. Does the CS2 have all the other stuff in it already? Is that the only one I need to install?

knucklehead

That's what I did. If I install the CS2, then I wouldn't need to install the others, correct? Thanks for the help. Mike

mark-s

Adobe is giving CS2 away for free, no more support though.
Go to their site and download.

mark-s

xxaxx

Umm...There's no such thing as a "free" CS2....There is STEALING someone's intellectual property, but that's about it...

Adobe put it on their website with open links that anyone can see (not just registered users) and provided the serial number right next to the download links. It also has been known about for like a month or two and they have not changed a thing or added a note to not download or anything of the sort. That is hardly STEALING their intellectual property.

knucklehead

Thanks Saint Circleville. I'll just keep my other comments to myself. After all, you have a 'phd' under your handle.

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
From what I understand it is not free for everyone. ONLY people who have leagally purchased the software previously can get it free.
This is a service to their customers that have crashes or change computers ect. I'm guessing that NOBODY gives their software away, even if it is out of date and no longer supported. I guess that giving it away would hurt their sales of their new versions.

WildWestDesigns

I'm guessing that NOBODY gives their software away, even if it is out of date and no longer supported. I guess that giving it away would hurt their sales of their new versions.

Inkscape and Gimp have free versions. There could also be paid version out there as well, for those that take the source code and tweak them with plugins, tools etc and then turn around and sell those versions. Open source doesn't in of itself mean free, although more often then not it is.

If the OP is going to be playing around with CS2, especially Ps, then I would take a look at GIMP.

elements is the dumbed down photoshop. so dont install that one.

Depending on what you are using Ps for, Elements can be a more efficient program versus full blown Ps. Some tools that are easily available in Elements are buried in sub menus in Ps. Again, it depends on what you are going to be using it for.

5Star

The Suite, The Whole Suite, & everything BUT...

Members should bear in mind that Adobe HAVEN'T allowed access to the whole CS2 suite.

As an owner of CS2 Deluxe, we had to reinstall CS2 after a power failure and OS corruption.
We found that our discs were useless, as the Activation Server for CS2 was taken off line.

In return, Adobe have put MOST of the CS2 suite on their server for owners of CS2.
Unhappily it's not ALL of CS2...in our case Acrobat Pro (Mac version) is absent.

We use Acrobat Pro a lot on the Mac we use for vinyl cutting, and you can imagine we aren't all that impressed that Adobe have taken from us the software we paid good money for.

After escalating the issue 2 levels up the Adobe Food Chain, we haven't heard a thing from them.

Second issue is that the replacement CS2 serial number is suspected by the Gerber plug-in to be pirated or cracked, so our cutter won't run on CS2 any more in any case.

After 4 days of lost production, we have had to source another Mac (Intel rather than G5), install CS3 (another of our owned software) and new cutting software. The CS2 suite may as well go in the bin along with the G5 Mac. :-\

So...will Adobe do this again next year with CS3? Will this deactivation fiasco be an annual event? And...
What do you call it when someone takes something from you (without your permission) and doesn't return it?

The ironic thing is that this is a kind of Reverse Piracy IMHO...
..from the folks who whine about THEIR OWN software being stolen from THEM.

Locals Find!

Thanks for this thread I am still using CS2 ,as well my skill level doesn't require much else. This will be great for me to easily load it onto my other work computers as I lost the disks and the back up drive those those disks long ago.

royster13

how in the world does one who makes income from software lose his install disks AND the backups?

Or still works with software that is a decade old?....the newer versions have lots of new tools that make the investment well worth it....

5Star

Or still works with software that is a decade old?....the newer versions have lots of new tools that make the investment well worth it....

In our case it makes a lot of sense to use the old software...all we're doing is controlling a dumb cutter.

What we need is a simple version of a proven app that doesn't have a memory footprint the size of The Pacific Ocean. It also puts to good use older hardware and software that isn't used by our Pre Press, Wide Format or Design sections - in other words good for ROI.

We were dismayed that our ownership of our software is clearly at the whim of Adobe.
They can pull the plug on what you've bought & paid for whenever they like.

And that goes goes for whatever version you own...