• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CS4 is available!

SignBurst PCs

Will do!

It is a huge download (3.8GB for Design Premium Upgrade) and we are going to have to test it on a few systems here.

It may take a bit.

SignBurst PCs

Apparently Adobe finally came through with the graphics card acceleration!

Good news and a long time coming!

It "warned" me the first time I opened Photoshop CS4.

SignBurst PCs

Very interesting (and exciting)!

Okay here is the deal. I am using a 1.25GB layered .tiff as my test file. I am testing on our least expensive design system (SignBurst Inferno™) with 8 GB of RAM and the scratch disk upgrade. I am comparing times between Photoshop CS3 (32 Bit) and Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)

- Opening file = approx 1/2 the time it did in CS3 (6s vs. 13s)
- Transform tool = 1/3 the time it did in CS3 (8s vs 28s) ; horizontal flip took 2s in each
- Blur tool (2500 pixels /100%) run across the entire image = 1/2 the time it did in CS3 (14s vs. 24s)
- Save file = approx identical (62s vs 60s; only category in which it was slower)

These are rough estimates, but give you a good idea of the increases in performance.

Tomorrow, I will test it on the SignBurst SuperNova™!

cgsigns_jamie

I just upgraded to CS3.3 at the end of August :-(

...but I called Adobe the day after they anonunced CS4 and ... they are going to send me a free upgrade!! :)

Can't wait to try it on my 64bit Mac to still be limited to 32bit capabilites!! Still they say there are performance improvements for Mac OS 10.5

So if anyone just recently upgraded to CS3 you may want to call Adobe and see if you can get a free upgrade.

Last edited:

SignBurst PCs

yep.. I believe that you need the CS3.3 in order to be upgraded like Jamie was.

This is good news for those who recently took the plunge into CS3.

SignBurst PCs

Can't wait to try it on my 64bit Mac to still be limited to 32bit capabilites!! Still they say there are performance improvements for Mac OS 10.5

Awweee.... I finally get to say it.

SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A VISTA PC!

I am just kidding! I know that you Apple "fanboys" (and gals) all love your Macs! I don't want to start a war. You have your reasons.

SignBurst PCs

Is Illustrator CS4 part of that package? If so, what goodies and fixes have they implemented?

It is part of the package, but I don't spend enough time in Illustrator to give you an educated answer.

I do notice that it is still a 32 Bit program, despite "leaks" that I had read online.

Photoshop installed in both 32 and 64 Bit versions.

SignBurst PCs

I just finished working with a few larger files (1GB +) on our SignBurst SuperNova™ and WOW, it is fast!

I am working with a SuperNova with no upgrades in 64 Bit Photoshop CS4. I am hearing amazing things from our clients who have upgraded to 16GB and 32GB of RAM!

SignBurst PCs

Casey, do you think it will run comparatively on WinXP Pro 64bit?

Personally, I hope so. There are a lot of XP64 folks who would really appreciate the added performance. The 64 Bit advantage is HUGE in CS4.

That being said, I believe that Adobe is only supporting Vista 64. That does not mean that it won't work on XP64 though. I have not tested it, yet. We are busy running it through the ringer on Vista64. So far, it has been amazing.

I will eventually be testing it on XP64 as we do have SignBurst computers out there running XP64. I have been trying to push as many customers as I can to Vista64 beacuse of what Adobe told us early on. Some listened and some didn't and some had no choice but to use XP64 as they didn't want (or couldn't afford) to upgrade software that wasn't Vista compatible.

cdiesel

Is CS3 supported on XP64? We've got two machines running it without any problems. They're not as fast as my setup running XP32 (with SCSI drives), even though they take advantage of the extra RAM.

SignBurst PCs

Is CS3 supported on XP64? We've got two machines running it without any problems. They're not as fast as my setup running XP32 (with SCSI drives), even though they take advantage of the extra RAM.

Not officially. But, we did have to jump through a few hoops to get it to work correctly with our RAID systems.

I would bet that those 64 Bit systems are not correctly optimized for CS3. If they were, they should be considerably faster than the 32Bit system. We ran many comparisons and if equally equipped (even with only 4GB of RAM), the 64Bit systems were measurably faster.

cdiesel

That's the thing.. they're not equally equipped. My 32 bit system has SCSI drives while the other two 64 bit systems are running SATA drives. They are all running RAID 5 for the operating system, and RAID 0 for the swap/scratch drive. All three systems have 4GB of RAM.

SignBurst PCs

That's the thing.. they're not equally equipped. My 32 bit system has SCSI drives while the other two 64 bit systems are running SATA drives. They are all running RAID 5 for the operating system, and RAID 0 for the swap/scratch drive. All three systems have 4GB of RAM.

I see... that makes sense. SAS, SCSI, and 10k RPM drives really do make quite a bit of difference in performance over plain 7200RPM SATA drives.

I love playing around on our SAS/Velcociraptor equipped SuperNovas. They are soooo fast. I really spoils you as you expect the other PCs in your life to keep up.