• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CS6 Trial...Brain f*a*r*t!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
After running the Illustrator CS6 trial for a month, I saw a few new things I'd like to have, but I really didn't notice a difference in overall performance. Until....

Then one day, after the trial expired, I began clearing off the menu bar and noticed there were two buttons for Illustrator...one was standard, and the other was 64-bit.

I have a sneaky hunch that I created the desktop shortcut using the 32-bit button without even knowing the difference...crap!

So, I guess what I am wondering is...did I really miss something by not utilizing the 64-bit version? I'm thinking I did...especially with large photos...

My CS5 struggles with large file sizes and is hanging up every now and then. I am thinking about running a one month subscription on the cloud and then make my decision then...it would only be $30.00, but I want another shot at it just to be sure.

JB

rfulford

Ever get this message?
"Combination of artwork size and resolution exceeds the maximum that can be rasterized"
Or this one?
"The operation could not be completed because there is not enough ram"

Since Illustrator is now 64 bit, it uses all 16gb installed in my computer and I never see these messages before. I have gone as far as rasterizing an entire 45' bus at 100 ppi. It took less than 2 minutes

SignBurst PCs

Yes, CS6 (64 Bit) potentially can handle the larger files much better than the 32 Bit version. I have been very impressed so far.

The question would be your hardware. If you have 4+ GB or RAM, you will be better off with the 64 Bit version.

James Burke

I'm running a Dell Precision T1600 with only 4GB of ram....perhaps it won't be worth it.

What I dont understand is that I don't seem to have those problems with Photoshop CS5...and those photos are much larger...what am I missing herre?

JB

SignBurst PCs

With 4GB of RAM, it is a judgement call. You will see marginal improvement in performance, but I have to say that I like working in CS6 better than CS5 for reasons unrelated to performance. I am a fan of the new layout and tools as well.

If you do decide to go with the upgrade or subscriptions, let me know. We are an Adobe Certified Reseller and can sell both types of software. If you have any Adobe questions, let me know.

James Burke

Looks like I'll be holding on to my "two-fitty"...

After some mulling it over, I tried a few experiments to get past the issue I was having with large size files in Illustrator.

Primarily, we use full scale photos for mockups...so when those photos start out as high resolution and are enlarged, it only makes sense that the Illy file will grow exponentially.

Solution: Use a lower res photo file. Well duh? The save time and refresh rate is phenominal...and file size is 1/20th of what it used to be.

I guess I've been so enamoured with the awesome photos taken by our Nikon that I hadn't considered how it was affecting our throughput....sheesh!

JB

ProWraps

all adobe licenses are for two computers.

i dunno about the cloud thing. i think its a rip off. the reason is after its all said and done, you are left with no software license.

whether i constantly upgrade or not, im still left with all the versions of adobe ps and ill that ive purchased over the years no matter what.

also, a side note for those of you that use cutmaster from graphtec... there is not a version that will work on cs6 yet so we find that we have to run two versions of illustrator to continue to use our graphtec 8000. luckily because we have purchased our software, we can still do this.

WildWestDesigns

i dunno about the cloud thing. i think its a rip off. the reason is after its all said and done, you are left with no software license.

Only time it's a good deal is if you use the majority of programs in your workflow. If you use just the ones found in Design Standard or Premium, it isn't.

For those that use Design Premium, it works out to be about 7 yrs (at current schedules) and flat out buying the software costs you less then doing the cloud. So if you don't plan on doing this for 7 years or if you use the Master Suite to it's full (or even the majority of it's potential) then the cloud should work for you, otherwise you are paying more.

That is going by figures if you were to be buying the software new at this point in time. If you are upgrading then about 6 yrs you'll be in the positive with flat out purchase.

At this point in time, it doesn't make sense especially when you look at it over the long term of usage. Now if you look at it month to month with no memory of past payments, that might be something else.