• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer requesting relief cuts in vinyl

gnubler

I'm doing an install on a Transit van with customer supplied graphics. They asked me to make relief cuts in the vinyl where it crosses contours/body insets (see pic). The last van I did I didn't make the relief cuts (thought it was a bad idea) and just used a heat gun over the contoured areas to lay the vinyl down. The customer said they've had issues in the past of vinyl lifting across these areas and the relief cuts fixed the problem...so he's basically insisting I make the cuts. What would you do?

The supplied vinyl is a 3M air release cast, I'm guessing IJ80 but don't know for sure.

20231207_112918.jpg

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I'm doing an install on a Transit van with customer supplied graphics. They asked me to make relief cuts in the vinyl where it crosses contours/body insets (see pic). The last van I did I didn't make the relief cuts (thought it was a bad idea) and just used a heat gun over the contoured areas to lay the vinyl down. The customer said they've had issues in the past of vinyl lifting across these areas and the relief cuts fixed the problem...so he's basically insisting I make the cuts. What would you do?

The supplied vinyl is a 3M air release cast, I'm guessing IJ80 but don't know for sure.

View attachment 168924
Yes that is what we call a cut and drop. It is commonly used on these types of vans. Yes you see the white of the vehicle but the vinyl does not lift.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
They're paying for it, inform them the cut line will show to cover your butt, get it laid, & get paid.
The issues they've had in the past could be the installation technique, or the material might not be what the last guy thought it was either, and not right for the application.

gnubler

They're paying for it, inform them the cut line will show to cover your butt, get it laid, & get paid.
The issues they've had in the past could be the installation technique, or the material might not be what the last guy thought it was either, and not right for the application.
Agreed. They were using another shop for installs so I have no idea how they were being installed and if it was the same material.
I'm going to do the cut and drops as requested but will be cringing as I do so.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Many variables when it comes to wrapping…..

unclebun

There's absolutely nothing wrong with cutting around those recesses. The resulting white gap is small and is far less obtrusive and damaging than the vinyl lifting out over time and then breaking and peeling on its own. Even with wrap materials like this it happens.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Agreed. They were using another shop for installs so I have no idea how they were being installed and if it was the same material.
I'm going to do the cut and drops as requested but will be cringing as I do so.
I cringe when a customer provides vinyl with zero specs. They're usually looking more for pricing than what's actually right for the job.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Is that red strip just a decal or is this a full wrap. If it's just a strip, why not "feed" it into the recessed areas and back out instead of heating and stretching/pushing/forming it into them?
If you decide to form it in and make a relief cut, don't cut too hard. I've seen several wrapped vans on the road with rusted cut lines in those recessed areas.

gnubler

"Cut and drop", is that a literal term? Meaning slice it first and then lay it down?
Here's where I'm at after bridging the first recess. (pic) Pull tape off, form in with a heat gun and then do the cut? That was my plan.
Maybe I should have fed it into the recess., I think I'll do that on the other side.

Kinda sweating on this one, I don't do partial wraps like this too often.
20231228_122425.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Is that red strip just a decal or is this a full wrap. If it's just a strip, why not "feed" it into the recessed areas and back out instead of heating and stretching/pushing/forming it into them?
If you decide to form it in and make a relief cut, don't cut too hard. I've seen several wrapped vans on the road with rusted cut lines in those recessed areas.
Yup. IMO, this is how it should always been done whenever it is possible. Same over welds. Seems stupid to cut it

Aaron Hunter

If you're doing a strip like your showing a stressless install is the best (referred to as feed it above). No tenting = no lifting. If your do end up tenting the contours, either tape primer & post heat or "Cut and Drop". For cut and drop there's a bit of technique for it that most fleet installers use that works pretty well.

gnubler

Thanks for all the tips. The van is done and gone, customer was thrilled and said I did a better job than the last installer.
Trimming along the gap between side and roof panels was tricky. My blade slipped a couple times but no one will see it.
Feeding it into the recess worked much better, no tenting needed for single graphics like this.

somcalmetim

View attachment 168924
Has to be done, it almost always lifts if just heated down over a Transits Body lines. Customer only knows about it as they had to replace their graphics before.
If it is just a vertical red stripe that only crosses horizontal body lines where you can apply it over the horizontal body lines without stretching/heating you might get away with it but I would still use primer on it.
You can also run a strip of knifeless tape around where you want the relief cut before you apply to avoid cutting on the van.

MrDav3C

Really glad someone mentioned knifeless tape! Totally agree that this looks like it can be achieved without cutting at all, but hey... If that's what the customer wants!

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
"Cut and drop", is that a literal term? Meaning slice it first and then lay it down?
Here's where I'm at after bridging the first recess. (pic) Pull tape off, form in with a heat gun and then do the cut? That was my plan.
Maybe I should have fed it into the recess., I think I'll do that on the other side.

Kinda sweating on this one, I don't do partial wraps like this too often.
View attachment 168927
100% correct. Just make sure you don’t have too much tension built up in the vinyl. You want just enough tension to give you a clean cut.

Using knifeless is great here too!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd also mention.... one above said they have seen rust where vinyl has been cut on a vehicle. If you are incapable of cutting vinyl on a vehicle without, not just scratching the clear, but cutting all the way to the steel.... you need to be stopped from touching any other vehicle until you have had some proper training. Knifeless tape is also an excellent choice and the safest option but there will always be scenarios where a cut will need to be made on a vehicle and you need to be able to do that without damaging the vehicle. Same with a cutting mat on the work tables. Stop the gorilla pressure, you just need to cut the material, not through the dang mat.