• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone here run Linux with use of the Adobe Suite?

UpAndPrinting

My friend and I have been talking about his newest computer build and it's left us with the idea of converting his old box into a linux distro for learning and testing. I've often wanted to make the leap but haven't due to the limitations of not being able to use the Adobe suite that easily. I was just curious if anyone in the industry is on a different OS other than Windows or Mac and how they like the experience.

UpAndPrinting

I've read a few different ways to load up the CS with Gnome boxes and also Wine. Coming from someone who loads Photoshop about 20x a day, I feel like I'd need a new computer build to keep up with the resources it would need.

WildWestDesigns

As someone that only uses Linux for everything (I use Arch by the way at that). Boxes and Virtualbox (the later moreso as it provides more options compared to Boxes) are going to be your best way to do it. WINE (even the commercial variant of WINE that is available for Mac) isn't going to do it for all of them. The older the Adobe version, the better the chance of WINE working though. However, a VM (preferably isolated, but if using the CC fluff, won't able to take advantage of all that it has to "offer" you) is going to be the best option..

I actually stopped using Adobe period (I don't even use Inkscape for my vector needs as well, I'm strange that way). Until Adobe goes full web-based (which could be very possible, they do have a free web based version (stripped down though) of Ps that they use to wet people's appetite for the program). Have Photopea which is totally web-based clone of I think around the CS5 era of Ps. As much as I hate web-based, that area of dev work is getting the most forward movement now. And since it's that subscription stuff, it might as well be web-based. Depending on the situation and what ones needs are, switching programs could be a viable path (I rarely used Adobe specific workflow, so the bezier pen tool is the bezier pen tool regardless of the program, so that helped, so if you have a workflow like that it could be possible). That is going to be individually unique to the situation (looking at it realistically, not just from a "I don't want to switch" perspective).

As a separate thing, I have seen rumors (won't know until it comes out) that Win 12 is going to have higher base requirements as well, so that would play into the minimum that one would want to get with this stuff. Just food for thought.

FrankW

I use a windows Notebook for my daily work, and a virtualbox on it for linux. If the idea is using linux for testing and learning only, this would be a good way.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
As someone that only uses Linux for everything (I use Arch by the way at that). Boxes and Virtualbox (the later moreso as it provides more options compared to Boxes) are going to be your best way to do it. WINE (even the commercial variant of WINE that is available for Mac) isn't going to do it for all of them. The older the Adobe version, the better the chance of WINE working though. However, a VM (preferably isolated, but if using the CC fluff, won't able to take advantage of all that it has to "offer" you) is going to be the best option..

I actually stopped using Adobe period (I don't even use Inkscape for my vector needs as well, I'm strange that way). Until Adobe goes full web-based (which could be very possible, they do have a free web based version (stripped down though) of Ps that they use to wet people's appetite for the program). Have Photopea which is totally web-based clone of I think around the CS5 era of Ps. As much as I hate web-based, that area of dev work is getting the most forward movement now. And since it's that subscription stuff, it might as well be web-based. Depending on the situation and what ones needs are, switching programs could be a viable path (I rarely used Adobe specific workflow, so the bezier pen tool is the bezier pen tool regardless of the program, so that helped, so if you have a workflow like that it could be possible). That is going to be individually unique to the situation (looking at it realistically, not just from a "I don't want to switch" perspective).

As a separate thing, I have seen rumors (won't know until it comes out) that Win 12 is going to have higher base requirements as well, so that would play into the minimum that one would want to get with this stuff. Just food for thought.
I am also a beta tester for Microsoft. Windows 12 will be very AI enhanced, more info gathering on each user. I block all the spy software, but there is going to be a problem with Windows 12, The just extended the life cycle of windows 10 as most are not jumping onto the Windows 11 band wagon.

WildWestDesigns

I use a windows Notebook for my daily work, and a virtualbox on it for linux. If the idea is using linux for testing and learning only, this would be a good way.
I would actually do it the other way, because of what it means to be running Windows. Mainly the only reason why I run Windows in an isolated VM is for MinGW, that's it (I don't like doing a straight cross compile toolchain, I still like to have the actual platform even if in a VM). It would not be my choice to have Windows on bare metal at this point in time.

I am also a beta tester for Microsoft. Windows 12 will be very AI enhanced, more info gathering on each user. I block all the spy software, but there is going to be a problem with Windows 12, The just extended the life cycle of windows 10 as most are not jumping onto the Windows 11 band wagon.
I had heard that as well, and it makes sense, they spent all that money on AI (or really just an expensive data collecting web scraper, at least how it is now). People really are only staying on Windows (for those that can't use their phones for everything, which not a whole lot better, but oh well) because it's what they are used to and some are still stuck in the 90s way of thinking as well. But I digress, most on here know that I can go off on a tangent with this stuff. Telemetry is ridiculous as is it is now. Even back to Win 8. I think Vista and 7 weren't as bad, but they kicked it up into overdrive with the later versions.

UpAndPrinting

I had heard that as well, and it makes sense, they spent all that money on AI (or really just an expensive data collecting web scraper, at least how it is now). People really are only staying on Windows (for those that can't use their phones for everything, which not a whole lot better, but oh well) because it's what they are used to and some are still stuck in the 90s way of thinking as well. But I digress, most on here know that I can go off on a tangent with this stuff. Telemetry is ridiculous as is it is now. Even back to Win 8. I think Vista and 7 weren't as bad, but they kicked it up into overdrive with the later versions.
Telemetry was cute in Windows 7. Terrifying in 10+. In my eyes, Windows 10 onward is more of a trojan than an OS. That and all the spying takes up resources I could be using.

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
To use Linux to run 90% of printing & designing software, you're going to have a hard time.
I've been down there and tried it.
Adobe is windows only. Using Wine or a VM inside linux will be useless and not optimised.

Now this is what i'd do..

format the machine. and install Proxmox. -
(this is a good tutorial.)
Now you have a server.

With your new server, you can create virtual machines, as many as you want (with in reason of the PC hardware)
You can have any linux distro, windows etc. But all needs to be accessed via another PC.

Now here's the fun part.
You can create a VM with Ubuntu Server on it. Install docker. and self host some opensource apps. --> https://awesome-selfhosted.net/

You can host apps like:
- Plex (home media server)
- nextcloud (google drive/apps alternative)
- Wiki JS (wiki alternative)
- nocoDB (airtable alternative)
Theres soo much more
CRMs, accounting software, Database stuff, the list is huge.

If you have a static IP, you could even asscess the apps with a URL if you set up a reverse proxy (nginx) and a domain name.

I think ive given you plenty of info.. now go have fun with Linux.

WildWestDesigns

To use Linux to run 90% of printing & designing software, you're going to have a hard time.
I've been down there and tried it.
Adobe is windows only. Using Wine or a VM inside linux will be useless and not optimised.
Technically, Adobe is a Windows and Mac thing. Been that way for a long time. Even Draw isn't Windows only now.

WINE, I would agree with. VMs, no. That very much works as long as you have hardware that can support running a VM for optimization and it is far from useless (desktop VMs, not VMs hosted on a server). In fact, in some ways, can actually be better, but that also depends on where one's mindset is (I wouldn't run Windows on a WAN at all, particularly now). Enough resources, one can even run Windows based games without much hassle within a VM (not easy, but can be done).

I run Linux for 100% (print, cut, design, embroidery digitizing (which is a vastly more a Windows thing and much more niche compared to Adobe) using native apps (some plugins may not be, electron based (ugghhh)) and while it is harder compared to Windows (and that's really not due to Linux or Windows, but support, or lack thereof, by 3rd parties(and 3rd parties are what make or break it on Windows as well, out of the box Linux is better compared to Windows, it's 3rd party support that does it)), it is very much doable. Is it harder.... yes and no. It requires learning different things, or doing things different, but that would be the case if someone went from Win -> Mac or vice versa. I definitely wouldn't commit to one or the other without a trial period to see if everything works alright. But have to be willing to do projects within the new ecosystem and force having to use the new system (I mainly learn by having projects to do, so this works for me, I would imagine for most people as well). Don't use that previous system as a crutch and constantly defaulting back to it all the time or at the slightest hint of trouble.

I tend to error on the side that people need to be more nimble and be willing to change things up (if it is actually able to be done) compared to just staying on one thing. Why I usually also don't suggest being used to a very specific workflow that is vendor/tool specific. This helps with being able to change up tools if/when needed.

Now here's the fun part.
You can create a VM with Ubuntu Server on it....
I've soured on Ubuntu. Servers, I would go with a BSD variant, but that's me.

Telemetry was cute in Windows 7. Terrifying in 10+. In my eyes, Windows 10 onward is more of a trojan than an OS. That and all the spying takes up resources I could be using.
Pretty much it and with AI, it has to collect even more to make the AI remotely useful (and I'm nowhere near a fan of what passes for AI now, but that's me) and that's the "G" rated take on it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Technically, Adobe is a Windows and Mac thing. Been that way for a long time. Even Draw isn't Windows only now.

WINE, I would agree with. VMs, no. That very much works as long as you have hardware that can support running a VM for optimization and it is far from useless (desktop VMs, not VMs hosted on a server). In fact, in some ways, can actually be better, but that also depends on where one's mindset is (I wouldn't run Windows on a WAN at all, particularly now). Enough resources, one can even run Windows based games without much hassle within a VM (not easy, but can be done).

I run Linux for 100% (print, cut, design, embroidery digitizing (which is a vastly more a Windows thing and much more niche compared to Adobe) using native apps (some plugins may not be, electron based (ugghhh)) and while it is harder compared to Windows (and that's really not due to Linux or Windows, but support, or lack thereof, by 3rd parties(and 3rd parties are what make or break it on Windows as well, out of the box Linux is better compared to Windows, it's 3rd party support that does it)), it is very much doable. Is it harder.... yes and no. It requires learning different things, or doing things different, but that would be the case if someone went from Win -> Mac or vice versa. I definitely wouldn't commit to one or the other without a trial period to see if everything works alright. But have to be willing to do projects within the new ecosystem and force having to use the new system (I mainly learn by having projects to do, so this works for me, I would imagine for most people as well). Don't use that previous system as a crutch and constantly defaulting back to it all the time or at the slightest hint of trouble.

I tend to error on the side that people need to be more nimble and be willing to change things up (if it is actually able to be done) compared to just staying on one thing. Why I usually also don't suggest being used to a very specific workflow that is vendor/tool specific. This helps with being able to change up tools if/when needed.

I've soured on Ubuntu. Servers, I would go with a BSD variant, but that's me.

Pretty much it and with AI, it has to collect even more to make the AI remotely useful (and I'm nowhere near a fan of what passes for AI now, but that's me) and that's the "G" rated take on it.

I did mean Windows & Mac, i forgot to add that :p

It really does depend on the shop size, software you run, hardware etc.
I tried to entertain running stuff on ubuntu. it was just pointless.
I even tried to put my laptop on ubuntu. so much software i depend on needs windows. and it's a hard NO to using alternative software for some apps.

Im going to start a new thread for software etc on Linux. look out for it as i'd love your input.

WildWestDesigns

it's a hard NO to using alternative software for some apps.
Depending on what the reason(s) is for that "hard no", could be missing out on alternatives. Not in every instance, that will depend on some things as you have mentioned. It is nice just being a shop of me, myself, and I, that does help quicken that pace of adoption. Software/hardware, probably more often than not going to be more closely related compared to people in a vastly different industry talking about the same things. There might be a little nuance. For instance, I have a cutter that can parse what it needs from raw HPGL, I don't need a driver for that to work on Linux (nor really on Windows as well, unless they stripped that out).

I also don't mind creating my own tooling (something that Windows really doesn't really "encourage"). Don't have to do that, I just don't mind doing that and it's easier to do that in Linux compared to Windows, be it scripting or actually creating native apps (a lot of people have misconceptions of this, I see a lot put more roadblocks mentally on something like this compared to anything else (but that could be a function of thinking of it in terms of the Windows system), again don't have to do it, I just find that it's a plus).

Personally, I wouldn't use Ubuntu, at least not the official flavors. They are going in a direction that makes OK sense on a server (where they actually make their money), but not on the desktop. I'm not a fan of Snaps for a lot of reasons and that's just going to make things even worse since they are going full tilt with that (not a fan of flats either, but that's another topic). I would go with Pop or Mint. If needing to stick with the Ubuntu ecosystem due to deb packages (which isn't really an issue, debs/rpms etc are just archive formats, extract/drag/drop), that's one thing. There are some necessities with going with Ubuntu (tutorials/help, software support (sometimes, some only support IBM/RHEL based distros due to the longer support date of the base distro, although can install them on other distros (again I use Arch, almost no commercial software vendor provides tech support for Arch users)))

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Depending on what the reason(s) is for that "hard no", could be missing out on alternatives. Not in every instance, that will depend on some things as you have mentioned. It is nice just being a shop of me, myself, and I, that does help quicken that pace of adoption. Software/hardware, probably more often than not going to be more closely related compared to people in a vastly different industry talking about the same things. There might be a little nuance. For instance, I have a cutter that can parse what it needs from raw HPGL, I don't need a driver for that to work on Linux (nor really on Windows as well, unless they stripped that out).

I also don't mind creating my own tooling (something that Windows really doesn't really "encourage"). Don't have to do that, I just don't mind doing that and it's easier to do that in Linux compared to Windows, be it scripting or actually creating native apps (a lot of people have misconceptions of this, I see a lot put more roadblocks mentally on something like this compared to anything else (but that could be a function of thinking of it in terms of the Windows system), again don't have to do it, I just find that it's a plus).

Personally, I wouldn't use Ubuntu, at least not the official flavors. They are going in a direction that makes OK sense on a server (where they actually make their money), but not on the desktop. I'm not a fan of Snaps for a lot of reasons and that's just going to make things even worse since they are going full tilt with that (not a fan of flats either, but that's another topic). I would go with Pop or Mint. If needing to stick with the Ubuntu ecosystem due to deb packages (which isn't really an issue, debs/rpms etc are just archive formats, extract/drag/drop), that's one thing. There are some necessities with going with Ubuntu (tutorials/help, software support (sometimes, some only support IBM/RHEL based distros due to the longer support date of the base distro, although can install them on other distros (again I use Arch, almost no commercial software vendor provides tech support for Arch users)))

oh trust me, there's no alternatives for some of the stuff that are just win and mac drivers :( I actively look. - I do have multiple ubuntu desktop VMs just to test things out.
Apart from using Caldera, my other hardware wont work.
E.g All my Barberi equipment.
Enfocus pitstop pro, pitstop server and switch all is mac or PC. (technically it runs on a windows server) but pitstop pro needs acrobat (latest) to run on a main machine.

My laptop on the otherhand, i could easily go to linux. and RDP into my RIP to use adobe software. but it's just a pain to always need to do that.
Other than adobe photoshop, illustrator, premier, lightroom, everything else i use has a linux version or alternative.
Although i do prefer outlook to thunderbird ( i did try recently)

Only reason i use ubuntu, is the larger userbase, easier to get support. and because i self host a ton of apps using ubuntu server, running the desktop is just as easy.
All my thinclients are running ubuntu.
I dont like snaps either, but this is just how linux us. many ways to do 1 task. many distros. never ends :p

ikarasu

People really are only staying on Windows (for those that can't use their phones for everything, which not a whole lot better, but oh well) because it's what they are used to and some are still stuck in the 90s way of thinking as well. But I digress, most on here know that I can go off on a tangent with this stuff. Telemetry is ridiculous as is it is now. Even back to Win 8. I think Vista and 7 weren't as bad, but they kicked it up into

I disagree that people use Windows because it's what they're used to - our shop has a dozen or so people on computers.... Some in their 60s, some in their 40s, and some in their 20s. The 20 year olds are just as bad or worst at operating a computer - they're used to android / apples point and click and everything being done and easy for them. Windows is mostly that way.... It just works.

Linux, while much better than it was even 5 years ago.... Still isn't there yet. Part of it is support, like you said - but it's still not as "polished" (for lack of a better term for windows...) In a user friendly way as windows is.

I get asked how to do the stupidest shit on windows all the time, I can't imagine if everyone here was on Linux.... It'd be a nightmare. You'd need a dedicated support person answering their questions all day.

Linux is more secure.... More stable, less telemetry, but its also less user friendly....

I've downloaded it and played with it and learned the basics, I can get by doing day to day operations on it. But I'm way less efficient in doing even simple tasks, I wouldn't want to bring it into the professional environment and cut my efficiency in half.

Now as a server it's great. Just not something I'd use for myself, or deploy to a whole business.

It's like ERP - our company spent almost 100k switching ERP softwares and we had to go back because even though it was super simple and way better for me.... No one could pick it up, there was so much wasted time... It wasn't worth it,and now we're back onto the ERP they was last updated in the early 90s.

It sucks, but most people can't adapt to change

WildWestDesigns

I disagree that people use Windows because it's what they're used to - our shop has a dozen or so people on computers.... Some in their 60s, some in their 40s, and some in their 20s. The 20 year olds are just as bad or worst at operating a computer - they're used to android / apples point and click and everything being done and easy for them. Windows is mostly that way.... It just works.
That would actually support that. Especially for the 20 yr olds (and it's only going to get worse, especially with regard to AI usage, but I digress). 40 yr olds are at the middle ground. Young enough that may have gotten some exposure and if they did, it would have been still quite a lot of CLI and they may have kept up with some of the changes earlier on (where the most rapid changes were also happening). 60 yr olds, probably playing the odds, just see computers as a means to an end, nothing more. I know the older I get, I sometimes want to become a luddite in some aways. Bringing out my paper animation stuff, ames lettering guide, dip pen. All the good stuff.

Linux, while much better than it was even 5 years ago.... Still isn't there yet. Part of it is support, like you said - but it's still not as "polished" (for lack of a better term for windows...) In a user friendly way as windows is.
Polished is in the eye of the beholder (to me Windows hit peak UI/UX with Win 98, after that just chasing fads (ironically how I use Plasma is nowhere near that metaphor of Win 98, but I digress). Windows is even taking some things from Linux and incorporating it in. Especially from KDE.
I get asked how to do the stupidest shit on windows all the time, I can't imagine if everyone here was on Linux.... It'd be a nightmare. You'd need a dedicated support person answering their questions all day.

More likely, most people see computers as a means to an end and really haven't taken time to learn how to use them correctly (especially the younger ones).

In this day and age, if there is some basic knowledge, should be able to search and vet answers.
Linux is more secure.... More stable, less telemetry, but its also less user friendly....
Uhhh, not really when one gets used to how to do things. Yes that does take time, but that took time to get to that level of muscle memory even on Windows and/or Mac.

I've downloaded it and played with it and learned the basics, I can get by doing day to day operations on it. But I'm way less efficient in doing even simple tasks, I wouldn't want to bring it into the professional environment and cut my efficiency in half.
See, I find it exactly the opposite. I'm able to script a lot of the simple but mundane operations on programs (export file(s), put said file(s) into a zip file, get rid of the intermediate obj(s) files that were used before zip operation), perform that on multiple files within one root folder (spread out over mult. of sub folders) at one time. Most people here, I'm betting have to do that one at a time. It took me about an hour to come up with that script, but saved me hours of repetitive operations since.

Yes, most of the time, will be slow even with the simple stuff when starting out, that would be the case going from Win -> Mac (or vice versa) as well. Some may be quicker compared to others depending on the direction, but on average that will still be an issue.

oh trust me, there's no alternatives for some of the stuff that are just win and mac drivers I actively look. - I do have multiple ubuntu desktop VMs just to test things out.
Apart from using Caldera, my other hardware wont work.
E.g All my Barberi equipment.
Enfocus pitstop pro, pitstop server and switch all is mac or PC. (technically it runs on a windows server) but pitstop pro needs acrobat (latest) to run on a main machine.
I can see that now.

Other than adobe photoshop, illustrator, premier, lightroom, everything else i use has a linux version or alternative.
There are alternatives for those. Now not 1:1, but there are alternatives. Unless you are only wanting 1:1 alternatives (which will never really happen, only possible option would be that the original apps are made available on Linux, which if they go web-based, probably)

Ps - usually Gimp mentioned (Krita is not one although mentioned)
Ai - Inkscape (although I prefer Blender's Grease Pencil and export SVG)
Pr - Kdenlive is usually mentioned (although I use Blender's VSE)
Lightroom - Darktable (what I use)

Again, not exactly 1:1, but they are alternatives. Depending on what one's needs are, can suck more or less, just depends.
Although i do prefer outlook to thunderbird ( i did try recently)
I can see that and at times, I have flipped flopped on that.
Only reason i use ubuntu, is the larger userbase, easier to get support. and because i self host a ton of apps using ubuntu server, running the desktop is just as easy.
All my thinclients are running ubuntu.
All my NUCs are Arch. I may switch to Pop when the new Cosmic comes out, but for the most part, it's Arch, vanilla Arch.