• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drag knife landing?

nitro912gr

Hello I try to figure out why the drag knife on my summa d60 is landing so hard that it make a hole on the media. I tried to play a bit with settings but I'm not sure what I'm doing and what I should change?

Is there a specific value to use for drag knife, 14G and 400G?

Thanks

FrankW

It dont make any sense to alter the 40g and 400g-calues in the coil setup menu, this is just for calibrating the pressure.

There is a third value in the same menu, knife landing, which can be adjusted as follows: set it to zero and increase the value as long as the knife tip lowers to the cutting strip, then add 4 numbers.

But I agree with gabagoo, it is very important to adjust the knife correctly, the knife should be not lower than needed to cut the vinyl, and make a little impression to the liner.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
You can set the cut pressure on most machines on your cutter or in your software. Check your software settings.

One may be overriding the other if your blade depth is ok.

nitro912gr

Hello thank you all for your replies. It turns out the problem had nothing to do with the settings at all.

My machine is old, one of the first models with OPOS and as of that inside the head unit there is a small rubber to prevent the knife holder from hitting hard when the coil pull it up again, and that started to deteriorate and now is sticky.

So when I was starting a cut it could take a few precious moments for the knife to unstuck and land, and because it was getting stuck it was landing with extra force that was making the hard landing that resulted in a punch hole on my cuts.

I added a small silicone next to the knife holder to keep the knife holder from reaching all the way up, a really small bit to create less than a millimeter of space and this fixed everything, because now the blade holder doesn't get stuck on that rubber landing pad (which is inside the head and it need to be taken apart to change or remove it).

I found a video to fix this but as said, I'm not gonna take apart the head unit, too expensive to mess with it :p