• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge Lit Sign Help

dcruze

I have been experimenting with Edge Lit Acrylic that I can route on my CNC machine. I am using 3/16" Acrylic and don't have any trouble routing it, but I have trouble getting it to look right when I light it. I tried to attached a photo of the problem I am having. but it wouldn't let me. I get a flood of color through the acrylic and not just where it is routed. I tried covering up every other LED to try and reduce the light but it still doesn't look right. I am using LED strips from SuberBrightLEDs.com with a Transformer of 12v .5A. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone can tell me the proper way to attach a photo it would help.

Techman

I make edge lit panels using 1/8 thick plastic. It works great for engraved images. Looks like magic.

iprint

My guess would be that you are using the incorrect type of acrylic. Some acrylics have diffusing particles in them to make the whole panel light up. Talk to your supplier and let them know what your desired effect is and they should have a solution for you (or at least be able to get in touch with the manufacturer and find out).

dcruze

Post Photo

I have tried to post a picture, but when I reply my form doesn't show me the tool bars at the top that allow me to attach a file. I can't find out how to turn them on.

dcruze

LED Photo

I finally figured the attachment out. I was using Firefox as my browser and it would not upload an attachment. When I switched to Internet Explorer it worked.

Anyway I have attached a photo of the LED. In it you can see the red glow from the LED's. This is taken with everyother LED blacked out.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 107

Moze

Precision Sign Services
My guess is you're using extruded acrylic rather than cast. You might want to try an LED with a wider cone as well.

dcruze

Extruded/Cast

I was not aware there was a difference in Acrylic. Is there a way to tell if it is Extruded or Cast Acrylic? Or do I have to ask the distributor?

Techman

raise the acrylic off the led's.
Align them so they are fully under the panel and that no light spills out over the edges..

The plastic must be absolutely clean. Any dirt or dust or haze illuminate and cause those ghosts.

I don't remember it saying on the liner, I guess it probably depends on the brand you're using.

Usually, a paper liner is cast.. a plastic liner is calendared.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The etched/lighted portion is still very easy to read. Not sure if that answers your question.

Signed Out

Partially answers the question. I have a customer interested in this type of sign for their office. The office will have normal office lighting. I've looked a lots of pictures of these signs, and most are taken in a dark environment. It would be awesome if someone has or knows where once can find a picture of the same edge lit sign in both light and dark environments.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Partially answers the question. I have a customer interested in this type of sign for their office. The office will have normal office lighting. I've looked a lots of pictures of these signs, and most are taken in a dark environment. It would be awesome if someone has or knows where once can find a picture of the same edge lit sign in both light and dark environments.

I just happen to have a few old pictures from my previous place of employment....

The first picture barely shows an edge-lit sign next to my stretch-wrapped desk that was waiting for me after I got back from vacation.

The other two pictures show an edge-lit acrylic panel (edit: just realized it wasn't on in the first picture) and then with the lights off (the "ABC EXS 369" panel).

Attachments

• DSC00123.jpg
    DSC00123.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC00134.jpg
    DSC00134.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00138.jpg
    DSC00138.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 110