• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Expired (UV) inks

growler

What sort of problems could someone run into using expired inks.

I am not talking just hit the date, some are 12 months past.

Will this have long term effects on adhesion as well?

Dilli 1606 - 3rd party UV inks, 6 colour, no white.

omgsideburns

I know that HP stopped putting expiration dates on their Solachrome UV inks, and now it just says something like "Warranty ends Month Year"..

My anecdote.. For some reason there was a half used bag of black ink sitting on a shelf when I took over operation of my machine and it ended up getting me out of a bind with no problems at all.

projectneon

i use a mimaki 1631, i contstantly get supplied out of date inks that im told are fine to use, i havent had any problems with adhesion or things like that, but 2 of my heads are blocked in my yellow and this well could be the cause. ( i also even bleed excess ink out of old bladders into new ones)

Last edited:

BANDH

but 2 of my heads are blocked in my yellow and this well could be the cause. ( i also even bleed excess ink out of old bladders into new ones)

careful putting ink from old bags into new ones! your yellow jet lines might just have air in them from marrying the inks. try purging the air from the bags and from the primary ink filters, then a bunch of empty packs and purges to prime the lines again. maybe that would fix your yellow jets.

we've never had the chance to use expired ink in our shop. our boxes are labeled to expire at least a year out and they are always used up by then. i wouldn't suggest using it unless as stated above: if you run out and the only thing left is an old *** box of ink, then i would go for it.

Desert_Signs

I've got 2 sealed boxes of Yellow ink for the FB900 (Colorspan 9840) that expired back in May (IIRC, not at the shop, but I think that's when they went out). We no longer have the machine.

I'd be willing to let them go for pretty cheap if anyone can use them.